PDA

View Full Version : Driving With Expired Tags

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm going to be purchasing a private seller vehicle from Conyers that still has the 06 tags on it and need to know what can I do to not get pulled over and fined. I was going to take the plate off and just put a just purchased sign in the window but I don't want to take any chances. So what should I do. All GOOD advice shall be rewarded with rep. :goodjob:

Thanks

Evil Goat
05-23-2007, 09:36 PM
you keep the bill of sale with you and put something on there along the lines of tag applied for....then go to your tag office a.s.a.p.

if they cant get you a tag right then then you need to ask for a temp tag...all it is is a piece of paper w/ a date on it that goes in the tags place....as long as you have a bill of sale all is good for 30 days iirc....i bought a integra a while back and drove it w/ a tag applied for sign for right at 30 days...got pulled over once and the cop gave me no flack w/ the bill of sale

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 09:39 PM
alright man I appreciate it. +1

Sol-Badguy
05-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Bill of sale will help.

Just don't make a piece of something with "Tag Applied For" on it. It doesn't work, is illegal, and makes no sense.

The bill of sale should be enough.

Oh yeah, and take back roads.

Sack Attack
05-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Legally you have 30 days to get a tag, you MUST have insurance on the vehicle though. If you have full coverage on another vehicle it should cover the one your buying also

If you dont sign the title and date it and you get pulled over in conyers, expect trouble. Conyers police pull over every car without a tag. They are bad about it and will fuck with you if the title isnt signed.

So my best advice is if you do get pulled over with no tag, make sure your title is signed and dated properly, anyone can steal a vehicle and get friends or anyone else to write a bill of sale, It's a little harder to steal a vehicle and the title. So sign the title, date it, and you dont even legally have to put a tag applied for tag on or anything else for 30 days.

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Bill of sale will help.

Just don't make a piece of something with "Tag Applied For" on it. It doesn't work, is illegal, and makes no sense.

The bill of sale should be enough.

Oh yeah, and take back roads.
Back roads back to Newnan would be kinda hard but thanks for the advice. +1

Sack Attack
05-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldnt worry about backroads, put insurance on it, sign/date title and ride out wherever ya wanna go

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Legally you have 30 days to get a tag, you MUST have insurance on the vehicle though. If you have full coverage on another vehicle it should cover the one your buying also

If you don't sign the title and date it and you get pulled over in conyers, expect trouble. Conyers police pull over every car without a tag. They are bad about it and will fuck with you if the title isn't signed.

So my best advice is if you do get pulled over with no tag, make sure your title is signed and dated properly, anyone can steal a vehicle and get friends or anyone else to write a bill of sale, It's a little harder to steal a vehicle and the title. So sign the title, date it, and you don't even legally have to put a tag applied for tag on or anything else for 30 days.
I am covered for the vehicle when I drive it back and thanks for the help. I'm not to excited to hear about Conyers PD. +1

Sol-Badguy
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
I wouldnt worry about backroads, put insurance on it, sign/date title and ride out wherever ya wanna go
TRUTH!!

Sack Attack
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Also, backroads are the DUMBEST thing you can do if you were doing something "illegal"

If a cop is sitting on the side of a backroad, and he sees 10 cars an hour, you just so happen to be passing that night while no one else is, he's gonna see ya aint got no tag.

If you go interstate and be careful and do the speed limit and/or keep together with other cars, the chances of getting pulled over is a lot less likely

:D

Sack Attack
05-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Where in conyers are you coming to?

Sol-Badguy
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Also, backroads are the DUMBEST thing you can do if you were doing something "illegal"

If a cop is sitting on the side of a backroad, and he sees 10 cars an hour, you just so happen to be passing that night while no one else is, he's gonna see ya aint got no tag.

If you go interstate and be careful and do the speed limit and/or keep together with other cars, the chances of getting pulled over is a lot less likely

:D
Another good point.

Repped.

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Exit 84 for Salem Rd/GA-162, It's the exit where that import shop is off of. He lives about 5 miles from the exit.

Sack Attack
05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Yea I live on salem road also, You wont be in the "conyers" city limits for too long, I think you will be alright. The county cops over here aint bad, just the city cops. Theres so much traffic on salem road now, it would be hard for the cops to get behind ya. What kinda car are you buying?

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Yea I live on salem road also, You wont be in the "conyers" city limits for too long, I think you will be alright. The county cops over here aint bad, just the city cops. Theres so much traffic on salem road now, it would be hard for the cops to get behind ya. What kinda car are you buying?
Good to hear, I'm buying a 98 4runner.

Sack Attack
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh I hear ya, Too expensive for me..haha
anyways, good luck man

Kyle
05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I say just drive it and keep the bill of sale with you. Also go straight to the tag office.

Chances that a cop will be behind your car isnt that great, so you probably wont have a problem.

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Oh I hear ya, Too expensive for me..haha
anyways, good luck man
Thanks man

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I say just drive it and keep the bill of sale with you. Also go straight to the tag office.

Chances that a cop will be behind your car isn't that great, so you probably wont have a problem.
Thats my plan, but I'll also have the title. You got rep

KAKid240
05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Title and Bill of sale...I'm also doing it tomorrow...Then tag office or go tomorrow before u buy it, explain situation and they might give u a temp ahead of time.

NewGen33
05-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Title and Bill of sale...I'm also doing it tomorrow...Then tag office or go tomorrow before u buy it, explain situation and they might give u a temp ahead of time.
I would but time wont allow it. +1 and goodnight IA. :iaowns:

Shawna
05-24-2007, 04:09 PM
i used to work for the tag office...keep your bill of sale with you and get the title from him and go to the tag office and transfer the title into your name if you paid cash/get emmsions/transfer and old tag or apply for a new tag...if you owe money on the car make sure to have your banks info so you can give it to the county that you live in... get a peice of paper and write tag applied for and put it the back window. You will be fine if you do that. If you do get pulled over explain to them you just bought the car you have the bill of sale and you have applied for the tag blah blah blah

NewGen33
05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
your got a rep...now this thread can die.

Fast Shadow
05-24-2007, 05:26 PM
When I took my S2000 out of storage (March) I drove around on 06 tags every day for a week. All around downtown, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, etc. Three or four different times I had cops directly behind me and they never even noticed.