PDA

View Full Version : Misc Dog Mange, what do you know about it?

xaznstylegrlx
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I just bought a dog like 2 weeks ago from The Pet Company at Gwinnett Mall. It seemed fine in the store and I was paying more attention to the personality of the dog than it's body. By the time I took it home, I noticed it had a lebsion on its leg and that its face was losing hair.

I took it to the vet that the store recommended and the vet said it was probably nothing. I didn't want to take any chances since it was a new puppy and I don't know its history before I walked into the store. I told them to do the test, and the vet came out smiling and said he had mange. :cry:
So I'm a little pissed off because I paid 1,200 for the dog thinking that it was in good condition.

I am now treating the dog with ivermeticin?? (spelling?) So what is the probability that it will get better? The pet store said they will give me another dog if it doesn't get better, but I am attached to the dog already.

2.0civic
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
lesbian or lesion?

That place is WAYYY overpriced anyway

2.0civic
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
BTW, the vet didnt tell you what to do? Its not really deadly just makes them scratch and itch...what kind of pooch is it

xaznstylegrlx
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
ah shit wrong section... the kitten thread threw me off.

it had a lebson?? its like a spot with no hair and it's a big pink bump

xaznstylegrlx
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
it's a pomeranian. Well, I had to file a claim with the pet store for the medication I am giving it now. I asked the pet store what if it doesn't go away and the worker said they would either give me a refund or arrange for another dog. The thing is I have another dog and the vet said that the kind of mange it has is not contagious, but is it a possibility that when the condition gets worse it does become the contagious kind?

Nemesis
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
PM The Ren. She works at Vet place I believe and can help.

Sol-Badguy
05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Should by from a shelter anyway. Those animals need a better home a lot quicker than the ones in pretty mall pet stores.

BluesClues
05-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Damn what is up with buying sick dogs. When I bought my dog at a pet shop she had coccidia. I would have bought from a shelter, but I am allergic to animals and can only have hypoallergenic dogs. The really expensive one

Anyway, in my situation, the pet store paid for the vet visits and is still reimbursing me in food for the hospital visit that I had to pay for out of my pocket. They gave me the option of giving her back, but just like you I had already grown attached to her. What I would recommend is if you have a week warranty for the dog (that means that if the dog was sick when you bought it and it was still under warranty, the shop is at fault) you contact the shop and try to work out an arrangement where you can get your money back for the medicine and the vet visit. You shouldn't have to give the dog back. It is their fault the dog is sick. They are responsible for that dog while it is still under warranty

Extrememustang
05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Should by from a shelter anyway. Those animals need a better home a lot quicker than the ones in pretty mall pet stores.

YES ur right,repped.

Sol-Badguy
05-22-2007, 01:24 PM
It just makes me hurt hearing people talking about, "taking it back because it has a warranty."

If you're going to get an animal, you love it from then on. I've picked up my fair share from people going to take them to vets, or finding one in a parking lot and nursing it back to health. My, and my g/f's, two cats. I love them both, and wouldn't put a price/warranty/etc on either one for anything.

Jaimecbr900
05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
It just makes me hurt hearing people talking about, "taking it back because it has a warranty."

If you're going to get an animal, you love it from then on. I've picked up my fair share from people going to take them to vets, or finding one in a parking lot and nursing it back to health. My, and my g/f's, two cats. I love them both, and wouldn't put a price/warranty/etc on either one for anything.

I think you misunderstood. I don't think the poster has any intentions of just giving the dog back. She just wants to be sure it gets well and it doesn't infect her other dog. That is very fair IMO.

If you paid good money for a pure bred dog, you should get one without any defects. The pet store should be responsible for the vet bills and any out of pocket costs you have or will have. I would call them and email them on a daily basis, if for nothing else to have a paper trail. Mange is treatable and should not be detriment to the dog's overall health. It may take it a second to kick in, but when it does it should clear up. Either way, the store should be responsible for your costs.

Good luck.

Extrememustang
05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Mange does go away by treating with ivermectin. Now, this is lifetime.. will have flar-ups and skin issues of and on. But the ivermectin will make this episode pass. You may get lucky and never have another problem. This is a result ov bad breeding- you cannot breed this puppy because they pass it on this way- Coccidia and Demodex mange are common problems wth "puppy mill" dogs. You have a very common and treatable problem.... don't worry too much.

BluesClues
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I think you misunderstood. I don't think the poster has any intentions of just giving the dog back. She just wants to be sure it gets well and it doesn't infect her other dog. That is very fair IMO.

If you paid good money for a pure bred dog, you should get one without any defects. The pet store should be responsible for the vet bills and any out of pocket costs you have or will have. I would call them and email them on a daily basis, if for nothing else to have a paper trail. Mange is treatable and should not be detriment to the dog's overall health. It may take it a second to kick in, but when it does it should clear up. Either way, the store should be responsible for your costs.

Good luck.

My point exactly :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
05-22-2007, 01:44 PM
My point exactly :goodjob:

I think you just have the hots for me.....don't cha??? ;) Is that what it is??? :D ;) :lmfao:

xaznstylegrlx
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
ok thx guys >.>

I filed a claim, but the worker at the store saids that corporate usually doesn't send u a check until u call them a lot lol.... funny how the worker knows that and agrees with it.

I was considering buying from a breeder, but for some reason I thought that the dogs in the mall would have been treated better and in better condition than breeder dogs. Because I hear a lot of horror stories about breeders.

And the other dog that I have is actually adopted from a family. But it is hard to find a pom for adoption without the adoption acgency giving you a hassle and making you feel like a criminal and scare u off from ever adopting from them.

IDriveToast
05-29-2007, 04:14 PM
There are 2 kinds of Mange.

One kind of Mange is hereditary and will NEVER go away. The dog will have it it's whole life. This problem arises from inbreeding to make pure-bred dogs. However it is treatable with medicine which will reduce flareups. Also keeping the dog groomed well will help a TON.

The second form of Mange is a bacterial infection of the skin that can be treated and will eventually go away.

~GILLEY~
05-29-2007, 04:22 PM
I just bought a dog like 2 weeks ago from The Pet Company at Gwinnett Mall. It seemed fine in the store and I was paying more attention to the personality of the dog than it's body. By the time I took it home, I noticed it had a lebsion on its leg and that its face was losing hair.

I took it to the vet that the store recommended and the vet said it was probably nothing. I didn't want to take any chances since it was a new puppy and I don't know its history before I walked into the store. I told them to do the test, and the vet came out smiling and said he had mange. :cry:
So I'm a little pissed off because I paid 1,200 for the dog thinking that it was in good condition.

I am now treating the dog with ivermeticin?? (spelling?) So what is the probability that it will get better? The pet store said they will give me another dog if it doesn't get better, but I am attached to the dog already.
ok well here is how it is i work for the pet company at another mall. seeing as how the dog has what it has it got it one of two way. way#1 is from its mom or dad it was passed down from one to the other and that is covered in your warranty. way #2 is that it got it from your house and if that is how it got it then you are out of a dog. so you should just deal with it or take it back and get another dog. if you dont mind me asking what kind of dog is it

Shawna
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I rescued my toy poodle from a no kill shelter and when they got him he had mange b/c he was taken away from a puppy mill they kept 4/5 dogs in the same crate and let them die in there...he hasnt had a problem in the yr that I have had him tho

~GILLEY~
05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
The thing is I have another dog and the vet said that the kind of mange it has is not contagious, but is it a possibility that when the condition gets worse it does become the contagious kind?
no it wont so they must not know what they are talking about

Extrememustang
05-29-2007, 04:45 PM
There are 2 kinds of Mange.

One kind of Mange is hereditary and will NEVER go away. The dog will have it it's whole life. This problem arises from inbreeding to make pure-bred dogs. However it is treatable with medicine which will reduce flareups. Also keeping the dog groomed well will help a TON.

The second form of Mange is a bacterial infection of the skin that can be treated and will eventually go away.

0MG I already basically siad that, good job on reading the thread before you posted.