PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Emissions Legal set-up.

dr_dave
05-20-2007, 02:35 PM
I have an OBD-II '97 civic EX. I would like to do something performance oriented with it. I'm not entirely sure what effect swapping a different motor in it or installing a major power-adder on it would have on its ability to pass Gwinnett emissions. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what type of a set-up i could run and still be able to pass emissions without too much trouble.

Annihilation
05-20-2007, 04:27 PM
headers, intake, cam, nitrous

d16_turbo
05-20-2007, 11:10 PM
im glad i dont have to have emissions done.. but just ask the guy at the emissions place how much it will cost to pass

GSRtegŪ
05-20-2007, 11:20 PM
True that

im glad i dont have to have emissions done.. but just ask the guy at the emissions place how much it will cost to pass

KevinT707
05-20-2007, 11:28 PM
When/ If you get a motor-swap, which some motors will pass emissions no problem and so won't (Ex: JDM OBD0 B16) even with a cat but anyway make sure you run a cat (preferably Magnaflow Hi-Flow) and when its emission time turn your adjustable fuel pressure down all the way & you'll pass. Just remember what PSI (using the fuel press reg gauge of course) it was at during idle to turn it back when done.

I've never been able to pass w/out messing with the fuel pressure but ever since I've been doing this I've passed for 3 years now. From JDM B16 to built LS/VTEC ..

B18CDELSLO
05-20-2007, 11:56 PM
ive had 3 swapped cars w/o cats and ive never had a problem passing emissions........

koukis14
05-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Ok do you have emissions testing in your county if so nobody that has posted knows what the fuck they are talking about with the acception of the guy that said intake, headers, cams, nos.

OBDII is almost impossible to get around if you have emissions testing in your county.

The only thing I can think of to help you is take a chance and register it as a kit car after you do a motor swap.

This is some what illegal but it is kind of a grey area if you do ALOT of work to the car. If you do a turbo you are fucked. Good luck, buy an older car maybe.

It may be possible to get a waiver, but they are a pain in the ass and you have to have have almost a thousand dollars worth of work done to your car.

Or you can pay someone. I know that if you tell a Waekon/Hickok emissions machine that the car does not have an obdII plug it will just skip it and pass. I have done this.....many times.

Good Luck

B18CDELSLO
05-21-2007, 01:23 AM
i live in dekalb county and have NEVER had a problem with passing emissions!!! i had a 97 hatch w/ a b16 w/no cat, then i had a 00 hatch w/ a b18c5 w/no cat, then a 01 gsr w/no cat, and am currently driving a 94 del sol w/ a b18c swap w/no cat!!! i guess i dont kno what im talking bout.... ive only been driving these swapped cars for the past 5 years....... the only car i EVER had a problem w/ passing emissions was an unswapped car come to think of it.....

koukis14
05-21-2007, 01:49 AM
i live in dekalb county and have NEVER had a problem with passing emissions!!! i had a 97 hatch w/ a b16 w/no cat, then i had a 00 hatch w/ a b18c5 w/no cat, then a 01 gsr w/no cat, and am currently driving a 94 del sol w/ a b18c swap w/no cat!!! i guess i dont kno what im talking bout.... ive only been driving these swapped cars for the past 5 years....... the only car i EVER had a problem w/ passing emissions was an unswapped car come to think of it.....

Do they hook your car to a computer?

B18CDELSLO
05-21-2007, 01:58 AM
yes, im not paying them either!!!

RandomGuy
05-21-2007, 01:58 AM
boost it, route the downpipe to stock exhaust, and have a lean map on the safc lol

have an electronic cutout and a good map for racing, low boost/leaner map and cutout closed for fuel efficient driving/emissions passing blahah :)

ghetto + cheap + gangster

twinj
05-21-2007, 07:10 AM
(DISREGARD POST #7 I WANT MY TIME BACK FOR READING THAT BULLSHIT)

TURBO OR NOT YOU WILL PASS IF YOU DO EVERYTHING THE RIGHT WAY. I HAD AN CIVIC BOOSTED AND PASS EVERY YEAR I HAD A DIFFERENT MOTOR AND PASS EACH YEAR.

To the thread starter:

The only way you will not pass is if you change your EMS(engine management system) to chrome,uberdata,hondata or something like that. You are kinda vague with your description you just say performance you really don't describe where you want the performance from. OBD2 cars it really has something to do with the ecu cause they plug that up and make sure you don't have any stored faults or any gas. That is the best I know I can tell you. Basically you are safe with bolt ons. (intake, header,exhaust,cams,NOS) Like some of the other dudes were stating.

koukis14
05-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry guys I guess I don't know what I am talking about, that emissions inspector license in my wallet does not mean anythign huh? There are these thing called readiness monitors. The computer does not just read for codes in the ecm it also reads to see if your readiness monitors are set. If too many are not set...YOU FAIL. The machines are peices of shit and if you fuck with them you can pass anybody. As far as wanting your time back for reading my post, how about you come on over and you can suck my dick.

twinj
05-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Sorry guys I guess I don't know what I am talking about, that emissions inspector license in my wallet does not mean anythign huh? There are these thing called readiness monitors. The computer does not just read for codes in the ecm it also reads to see if your readiness monitors are set. If too many are not set...YOU FAIL. The machines are peices of shit and if you fuck with them you can pass anybody. As far as wanting your time back for reading my post, how about you come on over and you can suck my dick.

Readiness,wtf who said anything about unplugging or disconecting the fucking thing(An idiot knows you have to drive the car 50mi before the test), You have to deal with Readiness monitors reguardless if you car is bone stock or not. What are you talk about? Don't know how you got your license. If you got it cause you probably had they dick in your mouth. Obvious don't know wtf you talking about. Please stop making gay favors and putting my name in there. :gay:

koukis14
05-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Readiness,wtf who said anything about unplugging or disconecting the fucking thing(An idiot knows you have to drive the car 50mi before the test), You have to deal with Readiness monitors reguardless if you car is bone stock or not. What are you talk about? Don't know how you got your license. If you got it cause you probably had they dick in your mouth. Obvious don't know wtf you talking about. Please stop making gay favors and putting my name in there. :gay:

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH I hope you don't work on cars for a living.

twinj
05-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't. I Hope you don't either.

koukis14
05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I don't. I Hope you don't either.

I was a technician for six years after graduating from one of the best automotive schools in the country. Now I am training to be a Service Advisor and one day will be a service manager.

KevinT707
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
i live in dekalb county and have NEVER had a problem with passing emissions!!! i had a 97 hatch w/ a b16 w/no cat, then i had a 00 hatch w/ a b18c5 w/no cat, then a 01 gsr w/no cat, and am currently driving a 94 del sol w/ a b18c swap w/no cat!!! i guess i dont kno what im talking bout.... ive only been driving these swapped cars for the past 5 years...
I'm still trying to figure out how this guy passes legally w/out running a CAT on any of these motors :thinking:

Someone please explain.

B18CDELSLO
05-22-2007, 12:28 AM
theres different methods of goin about it, the best is to weld a nut onto the exhaust pipe and bolt the o2 snsor up, that should allow it to pass!!! no check engine light cuz da 2nd o2 sensor reads differently than the 1st, and ive found that none of the places around here actually look under the cars like they are supposed to

koukis14
05-22-2007, 12:45 AM
theres different methods of goin about it, the best is to weld a nut onto the exhaust pipe and bolt the o2 snsor up, that should allow it to pass!!! no check engine light cuz da 2nd o2 sensor reads differently than the 1st, and ive found that none of the places around here actually look under the cars like they are supposed to

Maybe if it is OBDI and all this stuff depends on the COUNTY. Some counties it is just a visual, which mean it has to LOOK like it is in working order. There are many variables when it comes to emission testing. I have seen sr20 240s registered as fucking diesels to get out of emissions testing when I lived in PA. Down here the laws are tad different but the tests are exactly the same. Even the class and tests I had to take to get my license here is the same as the ones up in PA.

blackshine007
05-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I work at an emissions shop myself and it's possible for some cars to pass without some of the emissions items. For instance, I have to call BS on the NO Cat with OBDII and still passing emissions. That would've automaticly came up with a P0420 (catalyst efficiency) code, meaning the O2 sensors are working, just not seeing any difference in the catalyst. But if it didn't, it would've stored it as a pending code. OBD generic (2003 and newer) you're allowed just for a minimum of 2 monitors to set, vs 1 monitor on OBD II. I'm also shocked that a P1000 code has'nt come up. But point remains this, I call BS on B18CDELSLO. With your car set up like that, The monitors will never set

B18CDELSLO
05-22-2007, 01:06 AM
well i wish i still had all 3 of my obd2 swapped cars w/o cats that all passed emissions so i could prove it, but its all good i kno that ive done it so.......