PDA

View Full Version : Stronger Alternator vs Capacitor for System

CiVeK9
07-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I am hooking up a 4 channel and a mono block amp for my system. It'll be pushing a good bit a power and i was looking into a capacitor or a stronge alternator to support it. I know the stock alternator only has like 70 amps. And if i run two amps it will wear it down. I have also heard that a capacitor is worthless and it also wears down the alternator. i'm not sure on what to do...any advice? suggestions?

Spyder
07-04-2005, 10:12 AM
what brand and model number are the amplifiers?

David88vert
07-04-2005, 10:26 AM
ABC's of charging
Alternator
Battery
Capacitor

Read: http://www.powermaxx.com/links.htm

ACCORDRYDA23
07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
^^^werd.... adding caps will just make the alternator work that much harder.... better to just spend the money and upgrade the alternator from the start...

threehundred
07-05-2005, 08:04 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7984401617&category=33573

CiVeK9
07-05-2005, 08:13 AM
costly

Jaimecbr900
07-05-2005, 10:13 AM
costly

WHAT???? $150 "costly"???? For a high output alternator that is plug and play????? You really need to do some research my friend. That is CHEAP!!! What do you think an regular alternator costs? And that's just a regular one, not high output. What do you think a decent cap costs? Not these cheapo $50 1 farad caps. A real one. How much?

Why don't you post up what kind of amps you are planning on running and what configuration you are planning on running with them?

I'm sure a few people on here can do the math for you and tell you if you stock alternator is not going to be enough. IF it isn't, a better alternator is far better than a wimpy cap. A good cap will cost you some bones anyway.

Spyder
07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I find that alternator hard to belive at that price, its to cheap... but that is another issue.

i origonally asked for the model number and brand of the amps because if you really need some extra power then i was going to make the suggestion that was made above about the ABC's however being as you seem to think 150 for a high output alternator is to much im going to also assume you are running amps that didnt cost that when combined that being said you have no need upgrade the alternator battery or add caps.

A word of advice when people are trying to help you is to help yourself and awnser the questions they ask.

00CIVICSI
07-05-2005, 11:27 AM
i just bought a oem atlernator it was $147 bucks lol so that seems like a deal!

redgst97
07-05-2005, 12:22 PM
My upgraded alternator was about $550 plus a bit more for the external voltage regulator...

Spyder Man is right...we sorta need to know brand, model, and how your wiring the amps to know the best route to suggest.

There is the off chance you might be ok with just upgrading the wiring in the car (BOTH power and grounds) to something like 4 gauge.

Alternator is a good idea, but might not be needed. Battery? Again, a possibly good idea, but maybe not yet. Caps? depends also....

John

CiVeK9
07-05-2005, 06:44 PM
appreciate it guys...forgot to mention the amps

Alpine 4 Channel V12 Expert Amp. (don't remember the exact specs..but its the line)

Looking for a Mono amp to support a 12" Kicker Solo Baric L7 SUB (750 RMS)

also what kind of amp and box would you sujjest for solo barics?

Jaimecbr900
07-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Based on that, it doesn't seem to me you'll need one at all. The V12 is not a power hungry amp at all. Unless you plan on running some big mono amp dropped down to 1/2 ohm or something, you're not gonna pull the kind of amperage you're thinking.

Spyder
07-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Based on that, it doesn't seem to me you'll need one at all. The V12 is not a power hungry amp at all. Unless you plan on running some big mono amp dropped down to 1/2 ohm or something, you're not gonna pull the kind of amperage you're thinking.

exactly. your one 12 and some highs wont even make your headlights dim. dont waste the money... which again was the reason for my origional question.

CiVeK9
07-06-2005, 06:15 PM
thanks man i appreciate teh help

ACCORDRYDA23
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
stick with an alpine V12 class D amplifier.. like the MRD-M605 and you should be fine to push that solo baric.. hollaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa