PDA

View Full Version : which model component speakers?

phatzboyal
05-18-2007, 01:06 AM
i am about to get a JL 12 inch W3V3 with a JL 250/1 amp. I wanted to get focal component speakers and a JL amp to power it. Which model Focal speakers would sound best with this setup? Also which JL amp would best power the speakers?

05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
it all depends on sound preference and budget. if you can afford it get the 3 way utopuias

CARTUNES
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
it all depends on sound preference and budget. if you can afford it get the 3 way utopuias

i dont think he a 4k to spend on some speakers. the kf speakers sound really good, but you still cant beat the 165k2p's. if you want something in the middle go with the 165kp. what you really want to look for is that tn52 tweeter. pm me if you need anymore help choosing

BanginJimmy
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
considering you are using a low power set-up, you can also look at the poly-glass line. They will give you a good, crisp sound and dont require much power at all.

phatzboyal
05-23-2007, 12:16 PM
I've decided to go with the sub 12 inch W3V3 with a JL 250/1 amp. Also, I decided to get FOCAL 165KF "6.5 Component system with a JL 300/2 amp. Would that setup sound okay, or is the 300/2 amp too powerful for the component speakers?

Also, I've heard different things about the 6x9s i have in the back. Some people say just leave them, some people say replace them. I just wanted to get some more opinions.

BanginJimmy
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
leave them there and power them off the head unit for some rear fill. How they sound depends on the install just as much or more than the equipment used. The amp may be a little too much for the comps, but keep your gains low and dont be an idiot with the volume knob and you should be ok.

hybrid90accord
05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
their alot of factory my friend, like vehicle, location, power, just buyig an expensive comp set doesnt mean their gonna sound great. if ur gonna spend $500+ do some research and playing with speaker placement and imaging

White Lude
05-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I have Boston 6.5s and they sound great. Make sure whatever you get in components don't knock out your midrange. Some components have no mids where are the voices are.

j225
09-12-2007, 10:42 PM
u should get sum polk audios

R_Rated
09-25-2007, 10:55 PM

I LOVE my focal Utopia Be 3 ways :)

redgst97
09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
If your component set has no mid-range, you have some SERIOUS phasing issues.

Focals...this is MY opinion, but it depends on the sound you like. Personally, I typically find Focals to be a bit "dry" and "thin". Some people like that sound. Nothing wrong with it...its just my favorite. I like my mid range to be a bit warmer and fuller. It just personal preference. Neither is right or wrong. Just different.

What vehicle? Do you have the option for a 3-way set, or are you limited to 2-way? What is the budget for istall? Can you budget for kick panels to be built? Custom tweeter mounts? Also, what are the options for EQ and crossovers? Do you have to have passives, or do you have active crossovers (preferred IMO)?