PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy an evo

never_finished
05-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Well im in the market for an evo and have some questions. Never owned an AWD car before so just doing a little research. Everyone tells me the tranny will blow up and this and that. What are the pros/cons of the car. And lanching, how hurtful is it to the drivetrain launching them? Im looking at the 03-05s so any insight on which years are the best if any? Also what mods do they respond best too?

any help/advice will be appreciated/repped!! thanks.

MZMELiiSS
05-17-2007, 10:42 PM
clutches go bad easily. you're gonna be paying big bucks for that all the time.

keevo54
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
go to evolutionm.net and start reading. 05 is the best model you have selected due to bigger hotside, tranny synchros bugs have been worked out, etc. Clutches you can go through if you dont know how to drive or launch excessively. Transmissions are pretty stout as long as you keep the right fluid in there and change it relatively frequently. People commonly put the cars back to stock so look for that and stay away from those.

2.3 Evo 8
05-23-2007, 12:04 AM
clutches go bad easily. you're gonna be paying big bucks for that all the time.

"clutches go bad easily"??? WTF :umno: What a moronic statement.

Clutches don't go "bad easily", people don't know how to drive. Period!

It's very rare a clutch just fails. 99% of the time its the driver who does the damage.

Do your research on evolutionm.net and go from there.

The Evo responds good to a turbo back exhaust, reflash, upper/lower piping, better bov, boost controller, and fuel pump.

81911SC
05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
My friend has one and he will not launch it just encase. The clutchs do not go bad if you can drive. Very sick cars.

never_finished
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
"clutches go bad easily"??? WTF :umno: What a moronic statement.

Clutches don't go "bad easily", people don't know how to drive. Period!

It's very rare a clutch just fails. 99% of the time its the driver who does the damage.

Do your research on evolutionm.net and go from there.

The Evo responds good to a turbo back exhaust, reflash, upper/lower piping, better bov, boost controller, and fuel pump.

finally some advice from someone that actually owns an evo, haha. btw i think i saw your recently near gwinnett place mall...i was in the truck in my sig trying to catch up to read your tag haha....gas smelt good too ;) sick car!

Tracy
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
The Evo's have hydraulic clutches and if you don't drive it right, they go.
We had a stock tranny in our car until 550 awhp. We decided to build it after that, but it was still kicking when we did.
Our transfer case never went. Still had it the day we sold it. We sent him with a new built one just incase.

but x 3 or whatver on www.evolutionm.net

EM1toEVO
05-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Evos are reliable if you know:

A. How to drive a stick

B. Care about doing proper maintenance

C. Always using premium(Sorry for the obvious but ppl might be tempted to use other grades when gas is high)

EM1toEVO
05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
FWTW, I love my '05 and don't regret it at all. Best car I've ever owned(besides gas mileage LOL)

2micro4u
05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Evos are reliable if you know:

A. How to drive a stick

B. Care about doing proper maintenance

C. Always using premium(Sorry for the obvious but ppl might be tempted to use other grades when gas is high)

I agree 100 %
Put it this way I have owned over 30 cars in my life time. (On the real) im about to hit 29 years old in July and the Evo has been one of the my favorite cars owned yet. Not to mention I have owned it longer than almost any other car yet. I had it for 2+ years and plan to keep it for several more to come. Only major thing I had to do was get a clutch put in. But that was because the one that came in it was already used. Then when I got it I drove it hard for a good 15K - 20K So it was time for a new one.

I have no regrets on owning my Evo.

Repost Squintz
05-28-2007, 05:20 PM
lol at you having to post a picture of your car

2micro4u
05-28-2007, 09:04 PM
LOL..What can I say im addicted Evo's are like crack. :eek: :crazy: :burnout: :burnout: :police: :police: :surrender

marylauren11
07-13-2007, 12:05 AM
I love evo's too but never owned one (just like never_finished) I also have never owned a manual but know how to drive one... is an evo gunna be bad for my first manual?

EmminoDaGreat
07-13-2007, 12:15 AM
I liked evo's until i recently put a clutch in one, pain in the ass. But fun car to drive nonetheless

Deke
07-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Just don't ever drop the clutch and the tranny should be fine. It's kids trying to do awd burnouts that fuck their transmission.

Turbo Terrance
07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I would go for an STI......

sullen
07-29-2007, 10:46 PM
evo motors respond just like all other turbo motors man. bigger injectors, bigger turbo, top mount manifolds, more boost, open up the exhaust, you know. its all just like every other motor. if you're in the market for an evo, the 2nd gen eclipses are faster. they have the same motor and are a little lighter. talon TSI is the same thing also. AWD trannys are fun, clutches go bad on people who burn them. people who dont know how to drive a manual, you know... as long as you are a good driver, the clutch will be fine. just make sure you dont overload it, or replace it for the increased torque clamp. AWD tranny doesnt blow out on people unless they overload it either.

Ruststang
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
there is a yellow evo at my work at the moment(works at carmax) With black wheels and exhaust and intake also has turbo timer and piggyback tuner few other things as well... i only played with it for about 5 mins today but its in are auction lanes so it will sell this monday just start searching autotrader for it after then if your interested in a yellow one