PDA

View Full Version : Faster than light...

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Scientists have finally exceeded the speed of light, causing a light pulse to travel hundreds of times faster than normal.
It raced so fast the pulse exited a specially-prepared chamber before it even finished entering it.

The experiment is the first-ever evidence of faster-than-light motion. The result appears to be at odds with one of the basic principles of Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, that nothing can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, about 186,000 miles per second.

Scientists have finally exceeded the speed of light, causing a light pulse to travel hundreds of times faster than normal.

It raced so fast the pulse exited a specially-prepared chamber before it even finished entering it.

The experiment is the first-ever evidence of faster-than-light motion.

The result appears to be at odds with one of the basic principles of Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, that nothing can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, about 186,000 miles per second.

However, Lijun Wang, one of the scientists from the NEC Research Institute in Princeton, N.J., says their findings are not at odds with Einstein.

She says their experiment only disproves the general misconception that nothing can move faster than the speed of light.

The scientific statement "nothing with mass can travel faster than the speed of light" is an entirely different belief, one that has yet to be proven wrong. The NEC experiment caused a pulse of light, a group of waves with no mass, to go faster than light.

For the experiment, the researchers manipulated a vapour of laser-irradiated atoms that boost the speed of light waves causing a pulse that shoots through the vapour about 300 times faster than it would take the pulse to go the same distance in a vacuum.

Light travels slower in any medium more dense than a vacuum, which has no density at all. For example, light travelling through glass slows to two-thirds its speed in a vacuum. If the glass is altered, the light can be slowed even further.

The NEC team produced the opposite effect. Inside a chamber, they changed the state of a vapour in a way that light travelling through it would travel faster than normal.

When the pulse of light travelled through the vapour, the pulse reconfigured as some component waves stretched and others compressed. As the waves approached the end of the chamber, they recombined, forming the original pulse.

The key to the experiment was that the pulse reformed before it could have gotten there by simply travelling through empty space. This means that, when the waves of the light distorted, the pulse traveled forward in time.

The NEC researchers published their results in this week's issue of the journal Nature.

Crazy shit. Time travel or teleportation, anyone? Later, QD.

Ltdnismorace
05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
beam me up quedeeeeee

§treet_§peed
05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Werd

Echonova
05-17-2007, 09:19 PM

I would love to know how they measured that.

RandomGuy
05-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Thats old news, Its called VTEC.

Extrememustang
05-17-2007, 09:25 PM

HAHAH

addandrew
05-17-2007, 09:28 PM
:lmao:

Jecht
05-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Source?

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 09:30 PM
^^^ Yeah, because I made this up. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I actually got this from a science-based web forum. The lab this took place in is The NEC Research Institute lab. Later, QD.

ATK_Designs
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM

The experiment is the first-ever evidence of faster-than-light motion. The result appears to be at odds with one of the basic principles of Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, that nothing can go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, about 186,000 miles per second.

The experiment is the first-ever evidence of faster-than-light motion.

Crazy shit. Time travel or teleportation, anyone? Later, QD.

you reposted within the post :lmfao:

David88vert
05-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I actually got this from a science-fiction-based web forum. The lab this took place in is The NEC Research Institute lab. Later, QD.

No news reports have been made about it. NEC Research Institute has not released any info claiming such to AP, Reuters, or even on their own site that I see.

Got a reputable link?

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 09:44 PM
This isn't a recent topic I was reading. Reading the rest of the thread, I see that it happened about a year ago, lolol. Still cool shit. Later, QD.

Magnus213
05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Light's made up of photons, photons are massless particles... how can you go faster than the ultimate speed that something without mass can achieve? I feel like I would have heard about this.

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I feel like I would have heard about this.

Why? Are you a well-known phyisist or scientist?

Here is another article:

From physicsweb.org:

Electrical pulses break light speed record

22 January 2002

Pulses that travel faster than light have been sent over a significant distance for the first time. Alain Haché and Louis Poirier of the University of Moncton in Canada transmitted the pulses through a 120-metre cable made from a coaxial 'photonic crystal'. The achievement raises hopes that data could travel through electronic communications systems at almost the speed of light (A Haché and L Poirier 2002 Appl. Phys. Lett. 80 518).

Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I editted and added the rest of the posted article. It came from a publication called Nature back in March of this year. Later, QD.

Magnus213
05-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Why? Are you a well-known phyisist or scientist?

Obviously not, but it is kind of a big deal, and I keep up with my National Geographics. :yes: Plus my Physics teacher is wild about this kind of stuff and I feel like he would have said something.

Oh well, all the more interesting that they've done it. I'll have to read more about it.

Footefan52
05-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Doesn't really surprise me all that much for some reason. I just got out of Physics 2 (thank god) and my professor pounded relativity into our brains. I guess if something is massless then it would only take a very little bit of energy to accelerate it quite a bit. Good find though. Interesting stuff.

quickdodgeŽ
05-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Obviously not, but it is kind of a big deal, and I keep up with my National Geographics. :yes: Plus my Physics teacher is wild about this kind of stuff and I feel like he would have said something.

Oh well, all the more interesting that they've done it. I'll have to read more about it.

Lolol. I thought it was really interesting myself. Cool shit like that is fascinating no matter what it is. Later, QD.

Evil Goat
05-17-2007, 11:06 PM

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: bwahahaha....reps

TheGrillMan
05-17-2007, 11:24 PM

tahahaha