PDA

View Full Version : Changing brake pads on an EVO

gtikid
05-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Maybe I should of asked this in this sub-forum that in the wheel/tire/brake forum :D

Do I need a special key to push the piston back in once the pads are changed or will a C-clamp on a flat surface work? A write-up or DIY would be helpful :goodjob:

O yea, reps will be given for help...

WickedIXMR
05-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Its really easy i can do it if ya want. But y do you ask?

gtikid
05-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Its really easy i can do it if ya want. But y do you ask?

I have a friend with an EVO who needs them done, and I know that certain pistons need a key/tool to screw it back in. The front piston on an s2k doesn't need it, but the rears do, so I was just curious if the EVO fronts needed a key, or if we could just use a C-clamp on top of a flat surface on top of the piston :goodjob:

He called Mitsu and asked them how much it was and they said they don't just change pads, they do pads and rotors, and they quoted him $900 :eek::crazy: :screwy: :slap: :yes:

EM1toEVO
05-19-2007, 10:05 PM
It is fairly easy to do it yourself. You don't need any special tools. Here is a link that may help:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=77123

TheSnail
05-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Something that they left out is to take the cap of the brake master before trying to push back the piston unless you want to sit there struggleing like the guy in the link.

EM1toEVO
05-20-2007, 07:12 AM
I just quickly looked for a link. I didn't read it fully. That is a very good point^^.

Five*Star*
06-12-2007, 08:05 AM
I have a $46 snap-on tool that is just for doing 4+ piston calipers. It spreads both pads and pushes all the pistons in at once. I do brakes all day at my job and all the brake tools come in handy when your doing full brake jobs in 1-2 hours and your making $100-$250 per brake job. :D

BTW, where I work, we quoted a guy $1400 to do front pads, front rotors, and rear pads on a G35 w/ Brembo package.... THE DEALER QUOTED HIM $1800 for the exact same thing. Our new manager did a FULL brake job (all pads and rotors) on a g35 at one of our other stores and it was close to $2700! :eek: