PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods what clutch to use?

soplocar
05-16-2007, 07:21 PM
i need to change my clutch because the one i have now start slipping at 6500rpm when i floor the pedal.
ok what i need is something that holds about 450whp on low boost and over 600 at high.
i want something reliable, that would have a long life. thats why i dont want a twin disc, it would last no more than 10k miles.
the carbonetics/ats is wonderfull but is a very expensive clutch, and i dont have the funds right now.
one friend suggested competition clutch stage 5 with the 2300# pressure plate and i would be good.
i was also considering exedy stage 3 single disc, but i just found out that i wont hold the power. so i dont know what to get, any suggestions with real feedback will be appreciated.

jose.

CHADbee
05-16-2007, 07:50 PM
what car? B series? comp clutch 4 puck with the 2300lbs pressure plate would be fine with low boost setting but on high boost it wouldnt do very well. if ur making over 500whp u need a twin, period.

khan351
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
SPEC STAGE 5 FTW!!

soplocar
06-06-2007, 04:38 PM
ok, i just got me the comp. clutch twin plate. now im just waiting to brake it in and take this rice to the track.

Vteckidd
06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Twin Disk FTW

HalfBaked
06-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Spec clutches suck ass.

They may be good on domestics but every car I've ever driven with a spec has blown cockjuice.

SPOOLIN
06-11-2007, 08:03 AM
twin disc is over rated for 500whp. 500 is simply not enough to justify spending 1200 on it. I was perfectly fine making 630hp on a stage 5 competition clutch with zero clutch slippage on the track with slicks. This was the non upgraded version, the upgraded version has the retarded pressure plate that will just piss you off driving it cause its so hard to press and it doesnt grip anymore then the non upgraded version. stage 5 for the win. 650+ get a twin disc, its the torque that will spin your clutch...anything over 400 usually makes a stage 5 start to slip, BUT THATS ON THE DYNO.

as for spec clutch, they apperently have a really good twin disc, but thats IT.

josh green
06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
No break in required on a twin disk. Align it with a tranny main shaft, bolt in and give it HELL!!

NOTE: I do NOT recommend using a plastic clutch alignment tool with a twin plate. If it is misaligned in the slightest it will snap the clutches when trying to bolt the tranny on. We use a main shaft from a busted trans.

KevinT707
06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
twin disc is over rated for 500whp. 500 is simply not enough to justify spending 1200 on it. I was perfectly fine making 630hp on a stage 5 competition clutch with zero clutch slippage on the track with slicks. This was the non upgraded version, the upgraded version has the retarded pressure plate that will just piss you off driving it cause its so hard to press and it doesnt grip anymore then the non upgraded version. stage 5 for the win. 650+ get a twin disc, its the torque that will spin your clutch...anything over 400 usually makes a stage 5 start to slip, BUT THATS ON THE DYNO.

Good info homie :goodjob:

Vteckidd
06-11-2007, 11:29 PM
well, most of the Stage 5s with the regular pressure plates have slipped INCLUDING daniels integra, an including spoolins white car.

You can go to the upgraded pressure plate, but its something stupid like 3600lbs an forget about city driving. pressure plate is so stiff it actually broke ILOVEBOOSTs release fork.

Twin Disk is great for 500-600whp, people just dont usually buy it because its so expensive.

The Twin Disk is far superior to any single plate clutch.

SPOOLIN
06-12-2007, 07:49 AM
like i said though it slipped on the dyno, not under real driving/racing conditions, more power and it might have.

B18c1Turboed
06-12-2007, 08:02 AM
I used the ACT 6 Stage un sprung clutch and made 580 on it, i never gave me any problems at all, no slippage or anything. Only reason i sold it was i got a crack head deal on a twin disk Clutchmasters setup.

If your going too use this car as a daily driver, i wouldnt spend the 1200 for a twin disk setup. but thats just me!!!

SPOOLIN
06-12-2007, 08:55 AM
twin disc daily driven is not the most ideal way.

Tree
06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
act stage 3, or maybe one of those cf clutches

ct9a gsr
06-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Just a few comments...

Clutches are not rated for whp, rather torque capacity. You should scale your clutch in respect to its specific usage. It is not ideal to get a clutch thats rated for 600wtq for your car that makes 300wtq. Vice-versa also applies, assuming your drivetrain is fit to be under the stress of the sum of torque from all rotating masses.

Single, twin, and triple discs all have different arguements of why which is better for whatever application. However, if torque capacity is your only variable, a single disc can hold just as much as a triple disc, depending on clutch material, size, and pressure plate specs.

The more $ a clutch is, doesn't neccessarily mean its better for your application.

Slipping clutches isn't a bad thing... if your clutch didn't slip from launching from a dig, and you make a lot more torque than your drivetrain is designed for, you might be having a bad weekend.

josh green
06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Just a few comments...

Clutches are not rated for whp, rather torque capacity. You should scale your clutch in respect to its specific usage. It is not ideal to get a clutch thats rated for 600wtq for your car that makes 300wtq. Vice-versa also applies, assuming your drivetrain is fit to be under the stress of the sum of torque from all rotating masses.

Single, twin, and triple discs all have different arguements of why which is better for whatever application. However, if torque capacity is your only variable, a single disc can hold just as much as a triple disc, depending on clutch material, size, and pressure plate specs.

The more $ a clutch is, doesn't neccessarily mean its better for your application.

Slipping clutches isn't a bad thing... if your clutch didn't slip from launching from a dig, and you make a lot more torque than your drivetrain is designed for, you might be having a bad weekend.
I will have to disagree with some of the last part of your statement. A single disk will not hold as much as a twin or a triple. I know clutch material has a good bit to do with holding capacities but the single disks just dont have enough surface area. The twin disk's 2 disk's have more of a surface area thus holding more torque than the single. A Carbon/carbon is probably the best twin but are in the $2k range for hondas so I can imagine what the cost is for something else. With the carbon/carbon clutches, the hotter the clutch gets the more holding force they have. Some of the drag racing guys with these clutches use the Tilton release valve which regulates fluid pressure upon engagement letting the clutch slip a little which is good for launches. This is not so great on a ceramic twin disk b/c the hotter it gets the less it holds. Twin disk will last you a long time in drag racing, but street driving is what kills them. Not to mention the pressure plate on a twin disk is usually not a bitch to push in. Triple plate I dont know much about.
But I do agree with you on the getting the proper clutch for your torque application. It kills me when someone gets a stage 4 when they only needed a 1 or 2. I would rather go with the weaker of the clutches that I could use just for the pedal feel and ease of engagement. Usually the easier it is to work the clutch the easier it is to launch well.

anothaRRR
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
like i said though it slipped on the dyno, not under real driving/racing conditions, more power and it might have.
Its kinda hard to say what works and what doesnt...Like in my case mine never slipped on the dyno, but it slipped at the track, thats what made me get a twin disk...I would say if you plan on making that kind of power then dont take the chance and get a twin disk...It isnt that bad on the street...

cactusEG
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
exeddy

soplocar
06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
well guys, thanks for the info, it was very usefull; but as i stated above, i already bought the twin disc, following what peter from isp told me at the beggining, he knows my setup and knows its capabilities. ill just have to make time to get the clutch in and just get this thing tunned to hit the track.......hopefully SOON!!!

soplocar
07-12-2007, 09:25 PM
my, my bad luck....
i went to get this thing tunned, and the head gasket blew..... and i ran out of boost, now i need a 14psi wastegate spring i order to get to 27psi. but i got some good numbers in a max out boost controller at 20psi.