PDA

View Full Version : 93 s13, sr running hot, need help

JeffC183
05-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Ok, so I cant exactly drive through Atlanta during the day anymore, because my sr is just getting too hot its not over heating but still its getting too close for comfort, and I dont want to damage it. I have a stock radiator fan in it right now, it does not work, so me and my dad went out turned on the car and checked to see if power was coming through the female wiring insert, it wasnt. No power to the fan.

Thats what I know so far, but I need to know if the fan only engages at a certain temperature, if so could my Thermostat Sensor be bad? Also Does the stock 240 radiator work with the SR wiring harness? I am told its probably the best idea to just put on a aftermarket electic fan, can anyone help?

wantboost
05-16-2007, 05:07 PM
but I need to know if the fan only engages at a certain temperature, if so could my Thermostat Sensor be bad? Also Does the stock 240 radiator work with the SR wiring harness?
the radiator has nothing to do with the wiring harness. do you have the belt driven fan still on the car? do you have an air pocket in your cooling system? (that is what it was for me when i had a similar problem)

JeffC183
05-16-2007, 05:21 PM
the radiator fan is whats not coming on, the pully fan in front of the motor is working fine. but the fan on the radiator has a plug it has to connect to, the plug insertion wires (female end that goes into the wiring of the car) arent getting power, thus the fan does not come on.

SpecV_Scott
05-17-2007, 01:19 AM
That is the A/C fan. It only is supposed to turn on when the A/C compressor is running.

If you have all the OEM shrouds in place, you don't need that A/C fan to do anything.

HOWEVER, what I do every time I swap a SR, is remove the belt-driven fan completely, along with all of the shroud crap. I leave the A/C fan bolted to the radiator (an OEM radiator is fine)....and then I pull the A/C fan relay out, and jump two of the terminals. This makes the A/C fan come on whenever you have the key in the ON position. So basically, the whole time you're driving. It it more than enough cooling for the engine to operate normally.

If you're really afraid of removing the belt-driven fan, you can leave it on there, too. But it isn't necessary and you can gain a few hp by getting rid of it.

In this pic, you can see my fusebox, where I have removed the A/C fan relay, and used a short length of wire (with a blade terminal connector at each end) to jump the terminals). My car has never even come close to overheating with this setup.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/avatargsr/SH240SXSR/IM000063.jpg

JeffC183
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
So, my car is still sitting in the same place with the same problem we did get the stock electric fan working on it but it still wasnt enough to keep it cooled, with school and moving coming up etc. there has been no time to work on it. But now I have to get it running or moved (along with the other 240s in my yard).

Anyway, I am about to buy a Koyo N-Flo Radiator, put dual FAL electric fans on it, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

My question now, is the N-Flo really neccesary for some thing like this? I mean its definitely not going to hurt if I just go with that, but would the regular Koyo or even Copper Koyo radiator do the trick? Are these samco hoses that I have been seeing and reading about really neccesary? I am on a budget, and just trying to make numbers match thanks.

rupertaker
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
So, my car is still sitting in the same place with the same problem we did get the stock electric fan working on it but it still wasnt enough to keep it cooled, with school and moving coming up etc. there has been no time to work on it. But now I have to get it running or moved (along with the other 240s in my yard).

Anyway, I am about to buy a Koyo N-Flo Radiator, put dual FAL electric fans on it, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

My question now, is the N-Flo really neccesary for some thing like this? I mean its definitely not going to hurt if I just go with that, but would the regular Koyo or even Copper Koyo radiator do the trick? Are these samco hoses that I have been seeing and reading about really neccesary? I am on a budget, and just trying to make numbers match thanks.

You don't need Samco hoses and honestly, depending on your setup, you probably don't need the Koyo.

Have you tried bleeding the coolant system? Do you have the factory fan shroud/clutch fan? With those two in place, you honestly don't need to worry about the AC fan, that's not what's causing your problem.

If you don't know how to bleed the coolant, google it. Do that and report back.

MK3Virus
03-18-2008, 10:41 PM
forsale?

JeffC183
03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Well my problem is fixed, it turns out that one of my hoses had a small hole and was leaking water, so now my car is running like a champ again! I would love to entertain the thought of selling it, but if I cant get 4Gs out of it then screw it, or atleast a decent trade for it.

ct9a gsr
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I offered to buy your car over 2yrs ago with all the problems it had... even before it was finished. Should have taken me up on the offer. =D

JeffC183
03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I dont know what im doing with my car yet, but its running, its the only car I own but I am not driving it daily, it has mainly just sat for about the past year... meh not really sure what to do with it. I miss driving it, but to be honest that car isnt **** in the grand scale of things. If I go to Houston for school like im planning im not sure if I want to take it with me or not, im leaning to wards probably not taking it cause there is more important things on the rise for me than that car... maybe I should just get rid of it, not sure.

ryanmiata
05-26-2008, 04:50 PM
dont do anything youll regret.

sebastianHoff
05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
i miss my s13 coupe everyday, and i've got a 14 with an rb25 in it. if you dont have a fan shroud on the mechanical fan it will do you little good. the problem with the sr is that the highest spot in the cooling system is up in the head some place. jack up the front of the car and try burping the system again.

MK3Virus
06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
IS THE FAN, CHANGE THE FAN TO A BIGGER ONE OR FLIP IT............THEN LET ME KNOW HOW IT GO