PDA

View Full Version : A little something I though you all should know...

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
What is a Screw? What is a Screwdriver?
A screw is any shaft with a corkscrew-shaped groove formed on its surface. Screws are used to fasten two objects together. A screwdriver is a tool for driving (turning) screws; screwdrivers have a tip that fits into the head of a screw.
Early Screws
Around the first century, screw shaped tools became common, however, historians do not know who invented the first. Early screws were made from wood and were used in wine presses, olive oil presses, and for pressing clothes. Metal screws and nuts used to fasten two objects together first appeared in the fifteenth century.
Mass Production of Screws
In 1770, English instrument maker, Jesse Ramsden (1735-1800) invented the first satisfactory screw-cutting lathe. Ramsden inspired other inventors. In 1797, Englishmen, Henry Maudslay (1771-1831) invented a large screw-cutting lathe that made it possible to mass-produce accurately sized screws. In 1798, American David Wilkinson also invented machinery for the mass production of threaded metal screws.
Robertson Screw
In 1908, square-drive screws were invented by Canadian P. L. Robertson. Twenty-eight years before Henry Phillips patented his Phillips head screws, which are also square-drive screws.The Robertson screw is considered the "first recess-drive type fastener practical for production usage." The design became a North American standard, as published in the sixth edition of Industrial Fasteners Institute Metric and Inch Standards. A square-drive head on a screw can be better than a slot head because the screwdriver will not slip out of the screw's head during installation. The Model T car made by the Ford Motor Company (one of Robertson's first customers) used over seven hundred Robertson screws.
Phillips Head Screw
In the early 1930s, the Phillips head screw was invented by Henry Phillips. Automobile manufacturers now used car assembly lines. They needed screws that could take greater torque and could provide tighter fastenings. The Phillips head screw was compatible with the automated screwdrivers used in assembly line.

Ironically, there is a Philips Screw Company that never made Phillips screws or drivers. Henry Phillips died in 1958 at the age of sixty-eight.
Allen Key
A hexagonal or hex screw head has a hexagonal hole turned by a Allen key. An Allen key is a hexagonal shaped wrench. The Allen key may have been invented by American, Gilbert F. Heublein, however, this is still being researched and should not be considered a fact. Heublein was an importer and distributor of foods and beverage. who in 1892 introduced "The Club Cocktails", the world's first bottled cocktails.
Screwdriver
In 1744, the flat-bladed bit for the carpenter's brace was invented, the precursor to the first simple screwdriver. Handheld screwdrivers first appeared after 1800.

Types of Screws

* Cap screw has a convex head, usually hexagonal, designed to be driven by a spanner or wrench.
* Wood screw has a tapered shaft allowing it to penetrate undrilled wood.
* Machine screw has a cylindrical shaft and fits into a nut or a tapped hole, a small bolt.
* Self-tapping screw has a cylindrical shaft and a sharp thread that cuts its own hole, often used in sheet metal or plastic.
* Drywall screw is a specialized self-tapping screw with a cylindrical shaft that has proved to have uses far beyond its original application.
* Set screw has no head, and is designed to be inserted flush with or below the surface of the workpiece.
* Double-ended screw is a wood-screw with two pointed ends and no head, used for making hidden joints between two pieces of wood.

Shapes of Screw Head

* Pan head: disc with chamfered outer edge.

Later, QD.

Sol-Badguy
05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Things everyone on this site should know. :goodjob:

william_jeff
05-16-2007, 08:58 AM
this forum is not for education purposes

"I thought you all should know..."

KAKid240
05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Wow...that was the best thing I have started to read all day...thanks QD!!

william_jeff
05-16-2007, 10:02 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/integra_hot/desperation_man-1.jpg

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Lolol. 18 for me. Later, QD.

Lizbiz101
05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow...that was the best thing I have started to read all day...thanks QD!!

hahahaha Yeah I think I only read the first sentance.....

2.0civic
05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
hahahaha Yeah I think I only read the first sentance.....

Is that all of it you could read?

william_jeff
05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/integra_hot/fknLOL.jpg

Lizbiz101
05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Is that all of it you could read?

haha actually no.....that's all I wanted to read.

quickdodgeŽ
05-16-2007, 10:33 AM
This is stuff that you people really need to know. Later, QD.

william_jeff
05-16-2007, 10:34 AM
This is stuff that you people really need to know. Later, QD.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f73/integra_hot/ostrichpic3xn.jpg

koukis14
05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree, things we all should know.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to quickdodgeŽ again