PDA

View Full Version : RAM air idea... comments

BarnDog296
07-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I am about to do this, but I wanted people opinions first b/c im not the best at engines, but I understand the basics.

I have seen everyone doing the RAM AIR by putting ducting at the bottom of the front bumper light and into the air box, but this always seems really complicated and as if it doesnt pick up enough air. the best one I have seen done is the one at the bottom of this page:
http://www.saltgod.org/terry/terry.html

But I have an idea by using "sleepy-eyes" for ram air.

Sleepy eyes cant let air get to the engine better unless you actually cut a hole behind the headlight. The headlight actually sits in a small steel box of its own, it doesnt have any real way to get air to the engine from what ive looked at on mine, but maybe you could cut a hole in it and instead of running the tube down from the fog light, you could cut a hole behind the headlight and run the tube behind the headlight and into the box. Then when you had sleepy-eyes on, it would cause a ram air effect...

I would love comments on this before I do it, it seems like it would be ALOT of air being pushed in to me...

HiPSI
07-03-2005, 11:21 AM
sounds like a big waste of time... but go ahead and try i guess.

CMO
07-03-2005, 02:09 PM
what he ^^^^ said sounds like a waste to me but do it and let us know how it turns out.

HalfBaked
07-03-2005, 11:14 PM
My god you are wanting to build the worst 240 ever.

1st you want clear taillights, now you want to make your 240 have RAM air!!

sebastianHoff
07-04-2005, 05:03 PM
if you want "ram air" (sigh) cut a hole in the hood over the air box, thats the best way to do it.

1439/2000
07-06-2005, 10:03 AM
if you want "ram air" (sigh) cut a hole in the hood over the air box, thats the best way to do it.

Yeah that red s13 in the link you gave looks like shit.

You would hack up your car for 2 hp on a timing chain clicking, oil consuming KA for that? Hmmm get a catback. Little more power,tasteful (depending on what you get), and doesnt ruin your car.

flysi00
07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
your playing right that wont do jack shit for u but hey its your car u do what u want

1439/2000
07-06-2005, 11:02 AM
This is the part I love, since that page just had alot of weaksauce 240s i started looking at the 84 200sx. Heres a sliver from that:

Engine Engine

" This is where I'd love to tell you about all the engine mods that make my car incredibly fast. Unfortunately, there aren't really any mods to the engine. It's stock. A tiny bit of highlighting in the engine bay like the red air box cover and the red wire loom. The loom was added because I had a slight engine fire and burned a section of the wiring harness. Up front that's not a painted battery, it's an Optima gel-cell. "

Oh my god! I cant stop laughing where did you find this website. Everycar on that page is horribly done.

BarnDog296
07-06-2005, 12:56 PM
man, i find this stuff everywhere, im ALWAYS looking up 240 stuff, you would be amazed at the things that you can find...

ok, so im not going to do the RAM AIR thing, thanx for everyones help, that is why i ask these things, like i said, im always wanting to learn more, and i read all the time.

I am going to be installing a cat back instead i found one on another site, that i really like alot, and it seems to be doing really well for other 240 owners, everyone seems to love it. its a BRM exhaust, and everyone has said nothing but good things about the dual exhaust they put out, so im going to get one As soon as money allows.

Thanx for the input everyone

oh, and for the record, im not doing the clear lights they are going to be all red...

Spyder
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
This is the part I love, since that page just had alot of weaksauce 240s i started looking at the 84 200sx. Heres a sliver from that:

Engine Engine

" This is where I'd love to tell you about all the engine mods that make my car incredibly fast. Unfortunately, there aren't really any mods to the engine. It's stock. A tiny bit of highlighting in the engine bay like the red air box cover and the red wire loom. The loom was added because I had a slight engine fire and burned a section of the wiring harness. Up front that's not a painted battery, it's an Optima gel-cell. "

Oh my god! I cant stop laughing where did you find this website. Everycar on that page is horribly done.

Optima batteries are dry cells. just for the record...

Spyder
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
man, i find this stuff everywhere, im ALWAYS looking up 240 stuff, you would be amazed at the things that you can find...

ok, so im not going to do the RAM AIR thing, thanx for everyones help, that is why i ask these things, like i said, im always wanting to learn more, and i read all the time.

I am going to be installing a cat back instead i found one on another site, that i really like alot, and it seems to be doing really well for other 240 owners, everyone seems to love it. its a BRM exhaust, and everyone has said nothing but good things about the dual exhaust they put out, so im going to get one As soon as money allows.

Thanx for the input everyone

oh, and for the record, im not doing the clear lights they are going to be all red...

wow that was a good responce considering the flamming you just got.

BarnDog296
07-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Im not about flamming man, there are alot of haters on some of these threads, but most ppl on here know more than i do about these things. I really want to learn as much as possible, and if someone says that an idea is bad, then thats cool. Im not about to hate back, that is up to them. I know what im doing, and I know what I like. The thing about building these cars is to really do the things that you like and that will make you happy with your car. I havent been doing this long enough to know all about how to best build my engine, but I do know what i like to see on a car.
Its really just all about taste, ive seen some TOP RATED cars, that I just cant stand! but obviously ppl like them, and that is cool with me. But at the same time, ive gotten some good ideas from people saying that they hate an idea or flamming me b/c of an idea I had. It makes me look at it subjectively and find a better idea, that no one has seen. PPL are always more brutal online than in person, its just how ppl are.
They can flame all they want, its just not my style.
In short it makes me more creative, and their flamming makes me better @ what i do.