PDA

View Full Version : Autocross...when's the next event?

wbhard3029
05-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought there was an autocross event May 27th, but I can't find it? I see the SCCA drift, but I thought there was an autocross one?

Anyone got any idea? Or...when the next one is?

ash7
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
are you looking on the SCCA website? They have an entire list of local chapters and contact numbers of the folks in charge. Look under Solo II

StraightSix
05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Or you could look here. (http://soloatlanta.com/) Looks like the next AR SCCA autocross will be in June at Turner.

SampaGuy
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
june 3rd - mid ga
june 10th - gwinnett
june 17th - atlanta
june 23? - chattanooga

Black R
05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
http://www.dlbracing.com/default.aspx?

go to calendar and see for yourself. you missed a kickass event saturday at turner field too! :P

wbhard3029
05-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I went to form drift saturday...

I'll be checking the calendar, but I THOUGHT I saw it on IA about the 27th, but now all I'm seeing is the drift thing.

And I'm just getting into it...solo II, if I remember right. Stuff like what they do at Turner. Yeah...I'm a noob... LoL.

For now, I'll be running my 91 hatch with an LS motor. Unfortunately, that'll throw me into the upper classes which is NOT where I wanted to start out. I'm working on getting another EF so I can build it with a 'stock" motor and get into a class a little closer to where I belong. For now, I just wanna go out and have fun with what I got.

SampaGuy
05-15-2007, 01:22 PM
For now, I'll be running my 91 hatch with an LS motor. Unfortunately, that'll throw me into the upper classes which is NOT where I wanted to start out. I'm working on getting another EF so I can build it with a 'stock" motor and get into a class a little closer to where I belong. For now, I just wanna go out and have fun with what I got.

the stock class is just as competitive as say, street mod. there are good drivers in every class, there are no "upper classes". dont expect the competition to be easier just because the cars in a certain class have less mods. rather than choosing a class by your personal skill level, choose a class based on where your car will be the most competitive. i would focus more on learning how to drive before worrying about what class your going to run in. for example i drive my jetta in sts even though its slow as balls, but im gaining experience and eventually when i know what im doing i might buy something more competitive like a miata or ef hatch like yours.

wbhard3029
05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Please, do not by any means take this post I'm about to make as myself being arrogant and cocky. I know it's going to come out that way, just know that it's not.

I understand there are good drivers in every class, and that only gets me more excited about it. It seems to me I'm one of the best driver's amongst my friends, and a few acquaintences, but to me, that's not enough. They're not real motor enthusiasts. Their driving level doesn't mean too much to them, so it's not like they practice, or try to improve. They just drive. Me, on the other hand, am wanting to get into the action and put myself up against more competitive and skilled drivers to see where I REALLY stand.

In addition to that note, I understand competitiveness in every class...but I also think me and my skill stand a better chance in a...I can't remember the actual term for the class, but I think it's "prepared" class. Looking at the setup...with the engine swap, I would be in what I believe was called the "heavy modified" or something...which would put me up against some evil EVIL cars that I wouldn't dream of competing against. Now, I know autox isn't so much about the car as it is about the driver...but let's face facts. You put a 120hp civic against one of the new Z06's that's built...the z06 has MUCH more engineering, torque, "jump" etc etc. Whereas if I fit in the "modified stock" or "prepared" type class...it would be a narrower variety of competition and modifications.

Does that make sense?

wbhard3029
05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
PS - Again, no arrogance, here, but I'm 21 and have been playing in the mountains and open parking lots for countless hours just learning how my car performs. I don't by any means plan to come out in the top 5 of whatever class I enter, but I DO think the skills I've acquired could set me to the upper half of the class. I think. But...I do still wear a noob badge, sooo...LoL

atlantamx3
05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
You would probably be in STREET MODIFIED with me due to the engine swap.

Civic Hatches, Minis, and WRX's rule this class.

Humphrizzle
05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
where would i compete at Turner field?

I have a 2000 Civic SI
15'' nippons with 205/50/15 falken Ziex tires
Brembo CD rotors
Ceramix pads
AEM Short Ram.
full interior
Stock suspension.

atlantamx3
05-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I think H Stock or G Stock.

you can check the rule book @ scca.com

grey_eg
05-17-2007, 11:31 AM
You would probably be in STREET MODIFIED with me due to the engine swap.

Civic Hatches, Minis, and WRX's rule this class.

Well that's only locally in Atlanta. Nationally, super charged M3's and supras rule SM.

atlantamx3
05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
hahah well yes, thats true. /\ one of the ones who dominiates SM here in Atlanta.

nreggie454
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
The CRX would be in SM2, by the way. If I still have my car when I am back in GA, I think I might toss the hatch around a bit... it's been a while.

wbhard3029
05-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Street modified? If you don't mind me asking, what do you run...just so I know what I"m up against...

Black R
05-17-2007, 04:03 PM
.....did you even take 1/2 a second to look at his sig? LOL

wbhard3029
05-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I was in a hurry, just jumped on to see what kinda replies had been made thus far. I can't WAIT to get out and get some track time and meet some ya'll out there. I just need a helmet, and some new rubber. I think I'll do fairly well for my first run...but again, talk is cheap. Track is proof. :) CAN'T WAIT!

grey_eg
05-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I've got a 92 civic hatchback. Don't worry about a helmet. We have loaner helmets on site that you can use. As far as tires go...as long as your tires are not dry rotted or corded come on out.

Street Modified is basically a open modification class. It's basically where a lot of guys with motor swaps, turbos, superchargers, high compression builds, and suspension mods end up. It's kind of a catch all class. So if you're driving some sort of swapped car this is probably the class you'll be in.

Humphrizzle
05-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I think H Stock or G Stock.

you can check the rule book @ scca.com

much appreciated.

Dietcoke
05-18-2007, 12:15 AM
No cars with intake modifications can run in stock class. Only permitted swap is a different filter.

Capt._Ron
05-18-2007, 02:47 AM
I will say street modified is a tough class to compete in and you never know what you will find in that class. In the middle GA region supercharged miatas take time of day every time. Those things with slicks are like something off of mario kart.

EvasiveEF9
05-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Sorry to have been away. This is wbhard3029. I was using that name cuz this one was banned, so I borrow my friend's account...

Alright, I checked two of the posted sites about registration and such, but found no luck. Someone please advise on a site I can register, or is it better to just register at the gate? Also, when I've bene looking, I'm seeing "June 2-3." Is the event both days or...? I thought it was just sunday. I'm lookin' for a time and stuff...

Also, please advise on some FAQ's or newb things I might need to know when Ic ome out.

Black R
05-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry to have been away. This is wbhard3029. I was using that name cuz this one was banned, so I borrow my friend's account...

Alright, I checked two of the posted sites about registration and such, but found no luck. Someone please advise on a site I can register, or is it better to just register at the gate? Also, when I've bene looking, I'm seeing "June 2-3." Is the event both days or...? I thought it was just sunday. I'm lookin' for a time and stuff...

Also, please advise on some FAQ's or newb things I might need to know when Ic ome out.

Go to the link I posted and click on REGISTER. Then you find the date of the event you want in the calendar (ATL for us) and if it's an autox event. THEN CLICK ON THE LITTLE ICON THAT SAYS REGISTER.

No, you cannot register at the gate. All registrations are done online because of how many people they have to register at every event.

EvasiveEF9
05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I was referring more to dates. Apparently the date on the third is closed for registration as of this morning...

Next event I hear is the 17th...going to look for info, now.

EvasiveEF9
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Alright, so now I'm seeing my problem. Thought we were in the 7th month...LoLoL

Anyways, I see it, now. How long before the day do they open registration, and how can I tell exactly which class I'll be in?

Whoopee95
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
we are having an autocross at WCS in Cordele this sunday, u can register on www.myautoevents.com for the Middle Georgia Region Events, and we get 8 runs and start around 11:30 (registration/tech is between 9-11 usually)

www.mgascca.org

EvasiveEF9
05-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Outstanding, I'll check into a little later tonight, and I'll hope to be there...

Curious about what's allowed for engine mods. I'm consdering a mini-me (d15 bottom end, d16 head) so would that put me in the catch-all class, or would I be in prepared?

Congogrey
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
For the Atlanta Region registration will not open until at most two weeks out. Sometimes it is even just a single week. There is no limit on the number of entrants other than novices.

EvasiveEF9
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Time to get sexy and be in it...