PDA

View Full Version : coilovers vs. progressive rate springs

Stormhammer
05-11-2007, 09:59 PM
since my old eibach pro's are fucked I've been looking into redoing it - anyways

What are the benefits/downsides of coilovers vs. progressive rate springs ( such as Eibach Prokit ) - how are they in terms of auto-x, road racing, drifting, rally-x, driving on the street and such?

I never got to do much with the Eibachs, so I never got a good idea of how they truely performed

Lucky DAWG
05-12-2007, 12:18 AM
as far as i know, coilovers are better at cornering in all conditions... its just most people use them more as a bragging right since they are put on daily drivers as opposed to purely track cars.

if you can handle a bumpy ride on a DD, i'd get them

Stormhammer
05-12-2007, 01:36 AM
well, it wouldn't be a daily driver per say - I have a Maxima now for that, although it might be an evening/meets/racing/weekend warrior car now ( so it wont break down as much :lmao: )

green91
05-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I believe some coilovers are also progressive rate.. the benefit is the ability to have some control over your car's height and also being able to corner balance for better weight distribution.

Congogrey
05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
It really depends. If you are looking for better handling from stock, Eibach springs are very good (I have pro-kit springs on my car). Most coil-overs only offer hieght adjustment as the option over just swapping springs.

In my opinion unless you go to KW V2 or V3 or Bilstein. There is no reason for going to coilovers over springs. The higher end coil-overs allow you to adjust hieght, dampening, and rebound which allows you to dial in the car to the nth degree.

Fr33way
05-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Linear-rate springs offer more predictable handling while progressive rate springs react differently depending on load and how far the spring is compressed.

GSRteg®
05-14-2007, 08:20 AM
True that!

as far as i know, coilovers are better at cornering in all conditions... its just most people use them more as a bragging right since they are put on daily drivers as opposed to purely track cars.

GangstaCoupe
05-14-2007, 11:23 AM

If you get shocks that are valved accordingly to your coil overs the ride isn’t bad at all. The "rough ride” people talk about is from those who don't know what they are doing, half assing it...

As for the orginal question either setup can be made to work well in terms of auto-x and maybe a limited track car. Its mostly about how much you want to spend and which setup you would prefer.

sogood
05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I run Ksport coilovers on my Acura Legend. I chose that setup over koni red shocks with h&r or GC springs. I can't even desribe how happy I am with my decision. Anyone who knows what a Legend is, knows it's a fuggin boat in stock form, these coilovers did fah-king wonders for my car. Of course, the daily drive isn't as comfortable, but it's worth it for me. But since you said you wouldn't be daly driving it, no worries. I can't see why anyone who's serious about tracking/auto-x'ing etc. their car would get anything other than coilovers. Especially since you can then get them corner balanced.

IDCoconut
05-14-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd go ahead and go with coil-overs just because of the adjustability.