PDA

View Full Version : Drop boxes are really convenient....for the most part...

quickdodgeŽ
05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
From cnn.com:

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A Japanese hospital opened the country's only anonymous drop box for unwanted infants Thursday despite government admonitions against abandoning babies.

The baby drop-off, called "Crane's Cradle," was opened by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto as a way to discourage abortions and the abandonment of infants in unsafe public places. The hospital described it as a parent's last resort.

A small hatch on the side of the hospital allows people to drop off babies in an incubator 24 hours a day, while an alarm will notify hospital staff of the new arrival. The infants will initially be cared for by the hospital and then put up for adoption.

"We started the service but hope it won't be used," head nurse Yukiko Tajiri said. "I hope it is seen as a symbol that we are always here for parents to share their difficulty."

But government officials warned the service might only encourage more abandonments.

"In principle, parents should not abandon their babies anonymously," Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters Thursday. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuhisa Shiozaki meanwhile said it was "fundamental for parents to raise their children with their own hands."

Similar baby drops exist in Germany and South Africa. Some U.S. states, such as Alabama and Minnesota, also have programs protecting identities of women who give up their babies.

The drop box was set up after a series of high-profile cases in which newborn babies were abandoned in parks and supermarkets, triggering a public outcry.

Abortion is readily available and widespread in Japan where restriction against the measure is loose and there are no clear religious taboos.

Nearly 290,000 abortions were reported in 2005, according to the Health Ministry.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/10/japan.babybox.ap/vert.japan.babydrop.ap.jpg

Damn. Later, QD.

LiL PaKi
05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
damn.. it's gotten that bad that they have drop boxes.. what has this world come too :no:

Killer
05-11-2007, 09:56 AM
good/bad idea... atleast the kid has a chance that way i guess... but still sad..

Ran
05-11-2007, 09:57 AM
damn.. it's gotten that bad that they have drop boxes.. what has this world come too :no:It's a double-edged sword. It's bad because it can encourages parents to give up raising a child, but it's good because it can also help fight abortion and people abondoning their child.

LiL PaKi
05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
It's a double-edged sword. It's bad because it can encourages parents to give up raising a child, but it's good because it can also help fight abortion and people abondoning their child.

true

quickdodgeŽ
05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
it can also help fight people abondoning their child.

Everything you said was correct except the part I left. That's still abandonment. Later, QD.

Elbow
05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I guess what Ran Kizama said makes sense. It is sad no matter what way you look at it, but it is better then other alternatives.

Killer
05-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I guess what Ran Kizama said makes sense. It is sad no matter what way you look at it, but it is better then other alternatives.

exactly, i mean if my parents were gonna abandon me.. i'd rather be left in a hospital than a trash can...

Sol-Badguy
05-11-2007, 12:16 PM
damn.. it's gotten that bad that they have drop boxes.. what has this world come too :no:
I noticed it got bad when 2 high schools in my county started up Day Cares.

no control
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
exactly, i mean if my parents were gonna abandon me.. i'd rather be left in a hospital than a trash can...

unfortunately, these drop boxes are metaphorical trash cans...don't want it, throw it away...that's about what they're doing. just more organized than parks and supermarkets...

Killer
05-11-2007, 12:42 PM
unfortunately, these drop boxes are metaphorical trash cans...don't want it, throw it away...that's about what they're doing. just more organized than parks and supermarkets...

well i'd still rather be dumped in this "metaphorical" trash can than a real one...

i'm not agreeing with the situation.. if u bare a child.. u should raise it... but if your gonna get rid of it.. atleast give it up for adoption.. don't just throw it in a trash can.. that's my point.

quickdodgeŽ
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
. if u bare a child.. u should raise it... but if your gonna get rid of it.. atleast give it up for adoption.. don't just throw it in a trash can.. that's my point.

Exactly. Later, QD.

HalfBaked
05-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I wonder what would happen if someone put a 6 foot python into that drop box...

quickdodgeŽ
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I wonder what would happen if someone put a 6 foot python into that drop box...

There would be one less 6 foot python starving. Later, QD.

Stormhammer
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
as sad as that is

I get this mental image of a baby going into one of those like, USPS drop boxes...

Leadfoot_mf
05-12-2007, 09:22 AM
shit i wish more women in the U.S. had abortions about 15-24 years ago maybe there wouldn't be as many dumb shits on IA.

quickdodgeŽ
05-12-2007, 09:24 AM
There are 16,800 members on here and if about 16,000 women between 1983 and 1991 would have been to t"the clinic," all would be well, lolol. Later, QD.

Lucky DAWG
05-12-2007, 09:28 AM
There are 16,800 members on here and if about 16,000 women between 1983 and 1991 would have been to t"the clinic," all would be well, lolol. Later, QD.

wait... i was born in 89

fuck...

Ran
05-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Everything you said was correct except the part I left. That's still abandonment. Later, QD.I agree but, at least this way, the child can have a better chance.