PDA

View Full Version : lowering

redrum938
05-10-2007, 04:51 PM
i just got a stock integra rs and i want to lower it as one of my first mods and i was wondering what is the best way i could lower it to the same high as the front i want to sit level .. thx :cheers:

twinj
05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Adjustabe Coilovers.

Mchnhead2k5
05-10-2007, 06:08 PM
spring clamps....FTL...

redrum938
05-10-2007, 08:10 PM
whats a good brad of coil overs .. or would just anything off ebay work ?

speedminded
05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
whats a good brad of coil overs .. or would just anything off ebay work ?#1 - what's your budget?
#2 - what's the cars purpose?

redrum938
05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
lets say maybe 160 budget

TypeRPersonality
05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Eibach FTW, dremel away until you like the height. :D On a serious note, I recommend Eibach over all else.

douvtec?
05-10-2007, 09:04 PM
go to nopi n get a coil over kit we got one for a 1991 honda accord for 100$....and we did it ourselvs...me n my boy will do it for ya but not for free

speedminded
05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
lets say maybe 160 budgetsave your money and get some used coil-over dampeners :2cents: Omni, Megan, etc.

cactusEG
05-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Adjustabe Coilovers.

yes best way to do it.. dont go cheap son

foety_foe
05-10-2007, 09:27 PM
160 dollars isn't really gonna get you anything good.
keep saving until u have enough money to buy something good (koni). in my opinion i would keep saving until you can buy adjustable coil-overs and not springs.

redrum938
05-10-2007, 09:29 PM
ok thx for the info

cactusEG
05-10-2007, 09:31 PM
160 dollars isn't really gonna get you anything good.
keep saving until u have enough money to buy something good (koni). in my opinion i would keep saving until you can buy adjustable coil-overs and not springs.

tein is but pricy tho

Black R
05-10-2007, 09:31 PM
just get some lowering springs.

tein s-tech is about the price and drop you want. good quality too. :)

speedminded
05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
just get some lowering springs.

tein s-tech is about the price and drop you want. good quality too. :)S-tech's are for show only (per Teins website ;) ) ...you might as well take a torch to the stock springs.

Black R
05-10-2007, 10:23 PM
i'd suggest racing gear but then 99% here wouldn't even comprehend that.....

speedminded
05-10-2007, 10:29 PM
i'd suggest racing gear but then 99% here wouldn't even comprehend that....."racing gear", what are you talking about?

redrum938
05-11-2007, 03:28 AM
someone told me just to have the stock ones cut .. but that seems kind of ghetto

speedminded
05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
someone told me just to have the stock ones cut .. but that seems kind of ghettoanything for $160 is going to be getting. You needs aftermarket shocks to go with the springs or it will ride horribly.

Koni Yellows and Eibach springs used from someone that stepped up the a coil-over dampener setup is probably going to be your best bet. :2cents:

Black R
05-11-2007, 09:32 AM
"racing gear", what are you talking about?

see what I mean?

http://www.racinggear.co.jp/

He mentioned he wanted to lower the car and spend ~$160. This is doable with the tein s-tech springs. Have you any experience with this combo? They lower the car a fair amount, have better than itr spring rates, but are still aren't too stiff that they'll kill the shocks - and the ride quality is good.

For reference, here are the stock itr spring rates:

F 4.4kg/mm (linear)
R 2.5~4.4kg/mm (progressive)
or
F 246lb/in (linear)
R 140~246lb/in (progressive)

And here are the TEIN S-TECH spring rates for the dc2/4:

ACURAIntegra
DC2/4
94-01
STECH
Incl. TypeR
SKA18-AUB00
$250.00
6/335 (Front)
4.9/274 (Rear)

(from http://www.tein.com/stech.html)

As you can see, the TEIN springs are LINEAR in the rear - which is a plus for handling. AND the rates are a little higher both front (4k/ 335lb) and rear (4.9k/ 274); which again is a step up in the performance department.

Yes, they DO say the following on their website:

"They offer approximately a 1.5 inch drop for a more aggressive appearance. "

BUT they also say

"TEIN S.TECH Spring is an excellent step towards suspension tuning."

*shrug* Marketing is marketing.

Now you may argue that the msrp is $250, which is higher than his budget. Sure, but I've also purchased a used set of s-tech's for $80 barely used and other deals can be had online if you shop around.

Eibach is also a good choice - although I have no experience with them on honda's (unless you're referring to a koni/ gc setup which of course uses eibach springs). But I digress, we'll be going too high $wise for the purposes of this thread if we move in that direction.

My preference would be SWIFT or kg/mm dr racing springs however, if only allowed to have lowering springs. But again $ goes up a bit...

-hth

speedminded
05-11-2007, 09:42 AM
see what I mean?

http://www.racinggear.co.jp/

He mentioned he wanted to lower the car and spend ~$160. This is doable with the tein s-tech springs. Have you any experience with this combo? They lower the car a fair amount, have better than itr spring rates, but are still aren't too stiff that they'll kill the shocks - and the ride quality is good.

For reference, here are the stock itr spring rates:

F 4.4kg/mm (linear)
R 2.5~4.4kg/mm (progressive)
or
F 246lb/in (linear)
R 140~246lb/in (progressive)

And here are the TEIN S-TECH spring rates for the dc2/4:

ACURAIntegra
DC2/4
94-01
STECH
Incl. TypeR
SKA18-AUB00
$250.00
6/335 (Front)
4.9/274 (Rear)

(from http://www.tein.com/stech.html)

As you can see, the TEIN springs are LINEAR in the rear - which is a plus for handling. AND the rates are a little higher both front (4k/ 335lb) and rear (4.9k/ 274); which again is a step up in the performance department.

Yes, they DO say the following on their website:

"They offer approximately a 1.5 inch drop for a more aggressive appearance. "

BUT they also say

"TEIN S.TECH Spring is an excellent step towards suspension tuning."

*shrug* Marketing is marketing.

Now you may argue that the msrp is $250, which is higher than his budget. Sure, but I've also purchased a used set of s-tech's for $80 barely used and other deals can be had online if you shop around.

Eibach is also a good choice - although I have no experience with them on honda's (unless you're referring to a koni/ gc setup which of course uses eibach springs). But I digress, we'll be going too high $wise for the purposes of this thread if we move in that direction.

My preference would be SWIFT or kg/mm dr racing springs however, if only allowed to have lowering springs. But again $ goes up a bit...

-hthThat racing gear doesn't look bad....that gold dampener sure looks familiar though and with all the other products they're offering they're obviously a 3rd party simply rebadging a product to sell. Kinda like "great value" at wal-mart, same product and same quality as the name brand...just cheaper price.

As for the S. Tech, the name of them is "[Stylish Tech] dress up master" for a reason ;)

quickdodge®
05-11-2007, 10:28 AM
...you might as well take a torch to the stock springs.

AWESOME!!!!! I've been doing this for years. Seriously. Never a problem and never a regret. Got the ride height I wanted and not what Eibach or Sprint wanted me to have. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
someone told me just to have the stock ones cut .. but that seems kind of ghetto

Don't cut. The first car I lowered(back in 1987), I cut the springs. It got the height I wanted, but it rode like shit. Bouncy as hail. I personally didn't mind the ride quality, but you may. If I don't buy lowering springs, I heat. Which I've been doing for about 20 years. Retains a much better ride quality, plus you don't have to take anything apart. Takes me about an hour to get a good 3" drop. Later, QD.

speedminded
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
AWESOME!!!!! I've been doing this for years. Seriously. Never a problem and never a regret. Got the ride height I wanted and not what Eibach or Sprint wanted me to have. Later, QD.lol, just remember to either use a floor jack or blocks to determine the minimum height...otherwise you'll have the wheel wells sitting on the tires :tongue:

Ideally you would want to immediately wrap something [non-flammable] around the springs so they are insulated and cool slowly. Maybe slightly damp old t-shirts or something....the slower the cooling process the less brittle they will be. When welding i always stuck the object in sand for a couple hours if at all possible to "temper" it :2cents:

Trust me, you name it i've prolly done it when it comes to "ghetto" rigging...that's why i'm so adamant about doing the correct way now.

quickdodge®
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
lol, just remember to either use a floor jack or blocks to determine the minimum height...otherwise you'll have the wheel wells sitting on the tires :tongue:

Ideally you would want to immediately wrap something [non-flammable] around the springs so they are insulated and cool slowly. Maybe slightly damp old t-shirts or something....the slower the cooling process the less brittle they will be. When welding i always stuck the object in sand for a couple hours if at all possible to "temper" it :2cents:

My ingredients for heating(lolol):

One car
One propane torch kit(the small one with tip)
One water hose or bucket of water

The water hose/bucket of water is used to put out the flame when the spring boot tries to ignite. Other than, I don't jack up the car or anything. How I determine the height is 1 coil = about 1 1/2" of drop. Now a days, I buy springs. Next month, I'm grabbing a pair of Sprint 2" drop springs to lower my GA. Later, QD.

NAG2I
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
megan racing regular coilovers ftw!
nice ride and only $110.

redrum938
05-11-2007, 11:54 AM
yeah i will just wait a min befor i lower it and get something for around 250 270

redrum938
05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.racinggear.co.jp/ i cant read anything on this site

speedminded
05-11-2007, 12:53 PM
megan racing regular coilovers ftw!
nice ride and only $110.correction, coil-over SLEEVES. ;)

Black R
05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
I think we're missing the point.

#1 he's new

#2 he's asking a pretty basic question about springs

#3 he obviously doesn't know enough to cut or take a torch to the springs

#4 he wants to lower the car - not make it handle better or anything else (presumably)

That being said, I'd say get some decent quality lowering springs. That way if you ever want to sell the car as stock, you can do so by putting the oem parts back on.

Check the fs threads and you're sure to find a deal from someone who is upgrading to coilovers. :)

GSRteg®
05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Adjustabe Coilovers.:goodjob:

santacruz77
05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
just buy anything for what you haveif you just want it to look good buy egays