PDA

View Full Version : Work advice needed

ruah_23
07-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Ok guys I need y'all advice badly.

This is the scenerio.
I've been working at this grocery store for almost a year. A wk ago, I took the wkend of to try out as a server where my bro work. In that place, I can earn the same amount of money for 3 days while working in the grocery for 7 days.

I told my new boss that I need to give my ex boss 2 wks notice before I quit. He agree at first but today, he became a total prick and said that he really need me to work this wkend. I am in a dilemma since my ex boss already gave me the schedule for this and next wk.....I ended up working with my new boss today because if I don't work with him, he will prolly change his mind abt hiring me and since I already turn in my resignation letter at my last job, I will end up losing both job.

So now I won't be able to work at the grocery store for this wkend which is I'm sechduled to. I'm feeling guilty as shit , but I have no choice. So what do you guys think I shld tell my first boss? Shld I just tell him the truth or shld I make out some sorry excuse for not be able to work today and the wkend which I am scheduled to.

Pls I need serious replies. I'm going to call him tom early in the morning.:o

Bishop
07-01-2005, 11:29 PM
can u call someone to fill in for you?

uproot
07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
If anything, the new boss should respect the fact that you want to finish your 2 week term with your old job. As a manager myself i would accept that. I think he may have been a prick because he is under pressure or in desparate need of help.

But if anything don't completely blow off your grocery store job for the new one. Who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks you'll want to go back??

Never burn bridges...

Julio
07-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Never burn bridges.. fuck your new boss. I dont like him already.

ruah_23
07-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Well the situation is that there's only 3 servers and we usually need 6 in the wkend.So he's completely fuckin desperate.

I hate to burn bridges but now I already turn in my resignation letter so I'll be quitting anyway. If I choose to work for just this wk at my old place insted of the new one, my new boss will definately fire me. So I'll be ending up jobless for my part time job.

I wish I could ask someone to fill in for me, but there's no teamwork at all at my first workplace.All the workers are fucking lazy pigs and when they need something, I always try to help them.

So shld I tell my old boss abt the situation??

uproot
07-01-2005, 11:41 PM
yeah definitely talk to him about it... just be honest about it.

ruah_23
07-01-2005, 11:42 PM
But if anything don't completely blow off your grocery store job for the new one. Who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks you'll want to go back??

Definately won't. I'll be going to the academy on the 7th.So I can't just earn $40 a wk for my part time job with my parents being laid off and all. At my new place today I earned close to 100 bucks of tips....

lilgapeach
07-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree talk to your old boss hopefully he will understand.

uproot
07-01-2005, 11:43 PM
thats pretty good from tips

ruah_23
07-01-2005, 11:47 PM
thats pretty good from tips

hell yeah...now I'm dog tired..it's only 3 of us insted of 6.....
I was hoping he'll understand too.It's just I feel so guilty that I don't know what to say.

Well I'll let u guys knw tom.Thanks for all the advice.!:)

lilgapeach
07-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Good luck!!!

uproot
07-01-2005, 11:48 PM
no prob.....

but do they usually have 6 servers instead of 3?

if so would your tip amout be cut in half?

oh yeah and good luck.

ruah_23
07-01-2005, 11:51 PM
no prob.....

but do they usually have 6 servers instead of 3?

if so would your tip amout be cut in half?

oh yeah and good luck.

Well yeah usually have 6. We go by table..so the more table you get, the more tips you earn.

quickdodgeŽ
07-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Everyone in here said the right thing.

Be honest
Don't burn your bridges(as best as you can) - Keep with the job you'll be happier at. If more money makes you happier, obviously stay with the server position. But at least if you tell the previous boss your situation, at least even if you do break the 2 week resg. letter, you'll know that at least you tried to explain it to him.

Later, QD.

chrisdavis
07-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Dude server jobs ae everywhere and always hiring. Dont burn the bridge with the grocery store for no other reason than it will be a good reference.

Repost Squintz
07-02-2005, 08:41 PM
pm sent