PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a good yet reasonably priced digital camcorder?

Sayajin
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey Guys.

I figure this would be the section to ask this question in. :D

I am looking to purchase a digital camcorder in the next few weeks or so.

However I need some suggestions from the gurus.

I am not an expert or anything like that, nor do I plan to go make Hollywood moveis with the damn thing. It will primarily be used to make home movies and record outings and what not.

I need to get a decent quality digital camcorder. However one that is also reasonably priced. As I said, I dont want to spend a stupid amount of money for home videos. The main thing however, is that I need the camera to be good at doing night vids. Preferably in regular mode and not in night shot mode with the green screen. The primary reason for this is I am going on a fishing trip with some friends in a few weeks and we are doing night deep sea fishing. We want to be able to record the trip, however dont want to have to watch the whole damn video in green. I also need the camcorder to have decent battery life and space availabilty. Also I need it to be relatively compact as it needs to be carried relatively easily and durable enough not to break at the slighest touch.

So what do you guys think?

Digital Camcorder, Reasonably priced with reasonable quality. Relatively compact with decent battery life and space availability. Also relatively durable and good at night vids even when not in night vision mode?

Of course I realize you cant have everything... and the more money you spend the better quality you get.... but you guys should at least be able to get a general idea of my wants..

Thanks a lot guys. Truly appreciate it!

-Sayajin

quickdodgeŽ
05-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a Sony Handycam DCR TRV260 that I got off of Ebay for $170/shipped. It is a hi-8 camera, but has a digital(USB) streaming feature. I love it mainly for the NightVision. Keep in mind ONLY SONY has a camcorder with NightVision capability on it. No camcorder is really going to have great night videos, even with the LED light on. I use camcorders all the time between children growing up and ghost hunting. Let me know if I can be any further help. If you're not afraid of Ebay, I'd recommend that route. Later, QD.

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/88/91/6679_1.JPG
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/88/91/658d_1.JPG

Sayajin
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Cool. Thanks a lot for the help QD.

Sounds like I need to look at a Sony camera then as I need the night vision...

Yea, eBay is your friend! lol. I just need to figure out what model to get.

I definetly want to get a full digital one and not a tape based model. Any suggestions on a good Sony model for that? Thanks a lot!

-Sayajin

quickdodgeŽ
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Well there is not really a medialess camcorder in this price range. What you're going to find is Hi-8(like mine), MiniDV(which I also have but is JVC) and there are miniDVD recorders. The latter is a bit much, I believe, in the $400 range. All are digital and all offer USB streaming. I like that because not only do you have it on tape to D/L to the computer, but you will have a hardcopy backup. Later, QD.

Sayajin
05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Humm... I suppose that makes sense QD....

I guess it really doesnt matter WHAT media it records on as long as I can do USB streaming... Also the price range is perfect.

So I take it you would recommend the model you are using QD? Also it works relatively well at night?

If so, I may hop on eBay and look for one myself...

-Sayajin

quickdodgeŽ
05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I really like mine. And the Image Stabilizer is beeter than on my JVC. I've really liked what it has done for me so far. Later, QD.