PDA

View Full Version : clutch pressure plate help/ideas/questions

Doppelgänger
05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Alrighty, i had installed a exedy clutch about a year ago, and recently it started slipping, not cool. So i go to replace my clutch disc today figuring that my daily driving and drifting have worn the disc.

After finally getting everything out, i discover that the clutch has grooved the pressure plate (and flywheel, but the flywheel surface is repleaceable= no problem).

But now im on the hunt for a pressure plate for the ACT 4 puck disc, and i have some questions.

Do i NEED to go with a high pressure plate? Im thinking that because the force of the clutch is only focused on 4 smaller areas that a normal pressure plate would be ok.

Would the racing beat street/strip work OK with my car being boosted (6 psi JRSC)??

Does anyone know where to get a replacement p. plate?The only ones i can find are ACT, and they're a bit pricy

thanks!

Vteckidd
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
clutchnet.com

competitionclutch.com

they both sell PRESSURE plates but youll have to call Competition to get a price.

you dont make enough power to run an upgraded PP, just get a strong kevlar UNSPRUNG disk an youll have all the grabbing force you need

Doppelgänger
05-06-2007, 07:02 PM
thanks mike , but i already have a 4 puck sprung clutch disk. i'm pretty sure that it ll work ok , but i wanted to get some opinions on using a perfomance clutch with a regular pressure plate.

i emailed competition clutch about a p. plate.

Vteckidd
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
thats cool , i prefer unsprung beause i have had bad luck breaking springs.

but i would run a soft pressure plate, prob make it easier to drive/drift

Doppelgänger
05-06-2007, 09:09 PM

but i would run a soft pressure plate, prob make it easier to drive/drift

Really? Even with all the crazy driving i have done has never broken a spring :dunno: *knocks on wood*

Well, i wont mind a lighter feeling pedal, as long as it grabs properly, i dont care how the pedal feels.

Is it possable to machine the face of a p. plate?? Just curious....

speedminded
05-06-2007, 09:14 PM

but i would run a soft pressure plate, prob make it easier to drive/driftI've torn the steel where the spring mounts after installing the helical LSD...Clutchmaster Stage III disc with matching pressure plate. The disc was too harsh anyways so I went with an ACT street disc and kept the stage III pressure plate, by far the best setup i've ever driven (for a lightweight "low" power FWD anyways)

As for the RWD, i know droptopdrifter can adapt to any setup...driveability shouldn't be an issue, he just needs one that will hold up to what he does. I would honestly go with a better disc and stronger pressure plate, why have one that is always going to be stressed and pushed to its limits?

speedminded
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Really? Even with all the crazy driving i have done has never broken a spring :dunno: *knocks on wood*

Well, i wont mind a lighter feeling pedal, as long as it grabs properly, i dont care how the pedal feels.

Is it possable to machine the face of a p. plate?? Just curious....ugh, machining all those fingers...that would be a major pain in the ass!

Doppelgänger
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
ugh, machining all those fingers...that would be a major pain in the ass!
you know i mean the face that goes up against the clutch disk

speedminded
05-06-2007, 09:56 PM
you know i mean the face that goes up against the clutch diskohhh, i was thinkin you were wanting to modify the pressure /force itself...lol :tongue:

CHADbee
05-07-2007, 12:19 AM
i emailed competition clutch about a p. plate.
when was this? did anybody ever get back to u?

Doppelgänger
05-07-2007, 08:32 AM
when was this? did anybody ever get back to u?

i emailed them sat. night, not expecting a reply until sometime today or tomorrow.

CHADbee
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
i emailed them sat. night, not expecting a reply until sometime today or tomorrow.
I'LL MAKE SURE WE CHECK THE EMAIL TODAY.

Doppelgänger
05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I'LL MAKE SURE WE CHECK THE EMAIL TODAY.

well i just talked to Chris H. a little while ago and told him i would get someone from CCR to call and order the pressure plate for me.