PDA

View Full Version : Weekend racers/shop people/shadetree mechanics - help me with a project por favor!

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 07:15 PM
ok I figured this probably belonged here if anywhere else... but I need your help with an assignment, and really anyone who is regularly at the track/events.

Ok my assignment is to design a toolbox aimed at a specific market. My market that I chose is, duh, the automotive enthusiast/weekend racer/shop owner.

My toolbox design is going to be a truckbox... but it doesn't have to be just trucks... it will be designed to fit in the back of cars if needed, but primarily, it is a truckbox for the back of mid and full size trucks.

The problem definition - I find that a lot of people complain about the current truckboxes that are available not being organized at all.. they're just a big box, which means that there's little room for customization according to need and little to no organization. This especially comes into play with automotive enthusiasts/workers. To me, it is pointless to have a truckbox, only to have to put a toolbox inside it. Especially when truckboxes cost $200+. So the idea is to make a "box" that is easily customizable for the needs of shop owners and weekend racers, fits securely in the back of a truck, but can also be removed relatively easily (without sacrificing security) so that the truck can be loaded and unloaded quickly.

The concept - Basically, a larger version of the plano modular toolbox:

http://images.lowes.com/product/024099/024099009935.jpg

Except that the compartments are vertically placed next to one another instead of horizontally stacked. The frame around them folds down to become a bed extender when the compartments are not in use. The compartments will be made of thick, oil resistant plastic to save weight, and will be able to lift out one at a time. The outer frame folds down and the whole assembly slides down to the end of the bed so that the tools are more easily accessable during use, and I will probably design some sort of ramp or something to accomodate flareside truck beds that have the wheel bumps. There are a couple of different adapters for what exactly the three compartments can be, depending on where you are going and what you are doing... for example there will be a power generator block that will take up one space with plugs and whatnot, powered by its own internal battery that can be plugged into a common electric plug and charged when not in use, there will be an air compressor in a cage that fits one of the compartment spots, one block will be full of drawers of various sizes, etc etc... basically it will come with a few different "blocks" that you can use, and you take the three you will need that day. It's meant to pretty much make the back of a truck bed a mobile garage, but then it is easily removable at the end of the day, and you don't have to have a big bulky truck toolbox always in the bed of your truck (you can use the bed extender, just leave it folded up, or you can easily remove the whole thing).

Target MSRP on this would be somewhere in the $800 - $1100 range...

Now the question for YOU guys...

If it was available, would you purchase it? Why or why not? What would sway you to purchase it? (and please be at least relatively serious with this... this is data that I have to turn in with my process folio...)

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 07:30 PM
i could see it helping, but it would mostly be for ppl with "money" or shops who take cars to track.

as a regular enthusiast, i take tools to track, but just a regular tool box. but dont keep tools near an automobile enough to need a tool compartment. most work is done at a house, where tools are stored.

Leadfoot_mf
05-05-2007, 07:34 PM
well most racers on the club level have enclosed trailers and they put regular tool boxes like in car shops in the trailer they strap them to the wall in the back by the rear door. standard op really. now for the car auto cross guys don't know if they don't use a trailer they really are strapped for space if they bring slicks to the track. auto crossers don't need that many tools anyway. a jack and lug wrench hope this helps.

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 07:35 PM
the main target market is weekend racers who are pretty regularly going from either their house to the track or a shop to the track, as well as shop owners who are on the road a lot and need their tools with them... surprisingly it's a bigger market than I thought it was lol. My professor likes my idea about the frame folding down to become a bed extender, because he said that that widens the market to construction people, even though it's built with automotive people in mind.

thanks for the input! Keep it coming!

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 07:38 PM
hmm I didn't think about people using enclosed trailers that much... I think even they would benefit from having a power generator in the back.. possibly.. but it's definitely primarily aimed at people who are using a flatbed trailer for the car and a pickup truck for the gear. I'm trying to keep it the same depth as a regular truckbox so that less than 2' of bedspace is compromised, which still leaves room for tires, etc.

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 07:43 PM
hmm I didn't think about people using enclosed trailers that much... I think even they would benefit from having a power generator in the back.. possibly.. but it's definitely primarily aimed at people who are using a flatbed trailer for the car and a pickup truck for the gear. I'm trying to keep it the same depth as a regular truckbox so that less than 2' of bedspace is compromised, which still leaves room for tires, etc.
good idea, but think of this.

when you go to events such as

import showdown
import faceoff
seloc/GA3's

most are "weekend racers" , but how many flatbeds do you see?
2 maybe 3?

to me its either
1: fully enclosed (for racing every event all season, where they have toolboxes in it)
2: drivers with no truck or trailor- no market
3: truck with car hitch, flatbed (they have hitch/ flatbed so that if they break, they can get it home, not so much wanting to fix it at the track)

Leadfoot_mf
05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
most enclosed trailers have generators not trying to hate just letting u know whats up.

Tracy
05-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I put my answer in the other forum

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 07:51 PM
^^True, but how many people have an enclosed big enough to hold the tools they need? My question is if this toolbox gives racers/hobbyists the ability to do more major repairs at the track, would they invest in it? The return on it being that they don't have to forfeit out because they don't have an air compressor handy to push in a new bushing or use an impact on the suspension piece that just broke. If it's there with them, they can return it and continue competing throughout the weekend. There's also a market in the show car world, which is one you see a lot more flatbed trailer setups used.. I know whenever I'm at a show, it sometimes seems like everything that can go wrong does go wrong. So for people who are seriously into showing and have no problem investing money in things like engine dressup kits, show displays, etc (*cough*BRETT*cough*), would they be willing to invest in a system like this to keep all their stuff in? And it doesn't have to be just tools.. it can be detailing stuff, display stuff.. really whatever.

And part of the design is that the individual boxes can be removed and put in the trunk, and the whole thing could be mounted on a workbench as well, so a slight bit of the people who just drive to the track could be a target market as well... I'm trying to keep the design pretty customizable and open so that it will appeal to as many people as possible.. the "car" version of the prototype that I'm working on works as a rear upper strut bar/x brace that holds the toolboxes, so that way it's something that works FOR the racer as well as WITH them.

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
most enclosed trailers have generators not trying to hate just letting u know whats up.

I don't think of it as hating at all... part of my job is to gather opinions and questions and feedback and respond to all of it with a product that has a mass appeal. As far as car trailers go, my knowledge is EXTREMELY limited. I always used a flatbed trailer when I was towing my del Sol anywhere, so I don't know what accessories are available for different enclosed trailers, and I am trying really hard to keep the cost of this box low.. the $800-$1100 is an inflated estimate. My goal is to look at the cost of the generator as an add on to a trailer.. say it's a $600 option to add it on... and have this box be right about the same...

If you want to know about horse trailers, I can go all day, and I know that there would be a huuuge market for something like this with the equine crowd, and I will probably include that in my final presentation, but I'm trying to gather information on the areas that I am least familiar with. :)

Keep it coming.. If you think it sucks, tell me! But also tell me why!

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 07:57 PM
more major repairs would benefit the "pros" or ppl who race for profit, or like i said before HAVE "MONEY"

i wouldnt care to do "major repairs" at the track, i would fix it at home because "major repairs" means parts, and most "regular racers" dont bring enough parts to ensure that they can keep racing all day/ weekend.

like i said i think it would benefit mostly shops who have trailors, (for racers).

i think having it for the show world would be nice, because if u are in the show car scene ( like brett) ur car is definately not a daily driver, so you probably have a truck, and the availability to have organized cleaning, materials ect. would be helpful.

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
^^bingo. Honestly, this is not a product aimed for someone who occasionally goes to the track. That would be like someone who does their own oil changes owning an impact set and air compressor. It's meant for the more advanced enthusiast/semi pro who spends dedicated time and money at the track or at car shows... people who budget time and money into this. The truck version is anyway. I'm working on the car version (the strut bar idea) to be cheaper (maybe $125 - $200) and have an area for holding more basic tools... lug key, small socket set.. things that the average everyday joe would have in their car.

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 08:07 PM
^^bingo. Honestly, this is not a product aimed for someone who occasionally goes to the track. That would be like someone who does their own oil changes owning an impact set and air compressor. It's meant for the more advanced enthusiast/semi pro who spends dedicated time and money at the track or at car shows... people who budget time and money into this. The truck version is anyway. I'm working on the car version (the strut bar idea) to be cheaper (maybe $125 - $200) and have an area for holding more basic tools... lug key, small socket set.. things that the average everyday joe would have in their car.
but that was my point, how many of these "dedicated" racers do you see? they are there, but then we go back to the idea that most of those have enclosed trailors with room for their large tool boxes

( i have seen the mahdavi trailor with 2 cars and full tool set)

if they are so dedicated, a toolbox that only takes up 2 ft of a truck bed is not enough for them, because they are so dedicated they must have MANY tools including large ones, where i go back to the idea of their enclosed trailors.

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I dunno... while there are a good number of them who do have enclosed trailers, I think there's also a pretty large market for people who don't necessarily have enclosed trailers. And even when they do have enclosed trailers.. what good are all your tools if they're buried waaay deep in a trailer?

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 09:03 PM
the tools roll and the cars come out of hte trailor..dee dee dee.

im not saying their isnt a market, or that it isnt a good idea, i am jsut showing you my opinion and how i see it.

i think the market would be for construction workers.

my father having been in construction 20 something years. he always has tools wit hhim and when i look into his tool box, ( they dont have room for organization) it is a big messy pile.

there are many small construction businesses that have a crew of 10 or less, with a "foreman" or the leader. they do most jobs such as housing, and strip malls. this would be great for the foreman to keep the larger tools that the labor men are not required to have. i think that would be the market.

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
^^ I realized that shortly after coming up with the concept. Unfortunately, my portfolio theme is automotive, and I am trying really hard to stay with that theme, since it looks really good to have a theme upon graduation, because it will make it easier for me to get jobs in the automotive world.

But on the flip side, once this is fully developed, I DO get to build a full size prototype, which is hella exciting. Time for PVC piping, chrome paint, and.. stuff!

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
i will help you gypsy, this is understood?

Halfwit
05-05-2007, 09:27 PM
how far can "automotive theme" stretch?
can you use this?

1: there are very many mobile car detailing companies, that use trucks.
2: box would help in organization, professionality, and cleanliness of mobile work station....

or does it have to stay "modified/ racing" car theme?

SixSquared
05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Most of it is modified and racing, but all aspects can be covered... and there's nothing carved in stone that says I HAVE to have an auto theme... just a personal choice... as I mentioned.. makes it more likely that I will get a job doing what I love

chrisdavis
05-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Just a thought but have you thought of appealing to the bike crowd? They have to haul their equipment and bikes to the track. Maybe redesign to accommodate the bike, tools, tires, and any other necessities in the bed of a pickup.

SixSquared
05-06-2007, 12:36 AM
hmmm... I could make like the middle block an adapter for a bike's front wheel to lock it in place and hold a tire or two and then the other two could be one for holding tools and one for holding a helmet and leathers.... good idea! Thanks!

SixSquared
05-07-2007, 11:18 AM
ok got the concept sketches finished.. they're just rough sketches for now, so don't bash them.. I spent about 5 minutes a piece on them, and they are simply intended to get the idea down on paper.

I did the truck version that I've been gibbering about as well as a car version that acts as a strut tower bar for the rear... Both of the box concepts perform "double duty", tailored to the intention of use.. the truck box becomes a bed extender, and the car one is a strut bar... they both help the vehicle do their intended job better. :) LMK whatcha think.. sorry about huge scans!