PDA

View Full Version : Rod bearing size.. eagle rods

green91
05-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Im going to be starting my engine build pretty soon, so im looking for answers from somebody with experience with eagle rods. I will be using new oem honda bearings, the mains will be the same size as the originals. But my question is relating to the rod bearings, how close will the stock size bearings be to correct with eagle rods? I know they are sized according to the crank and rod markings but since these are aftermarket they wont have a rod marking to get the correct size on the chart. I obviously wont know until i have the engine on the reassembly stage and plastigage the clearance, but id like to have an idea of where to start.

Vteckidd
05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
youll want to start with GREENs because those are the middle of the clearance spectrum. Pastiguage an go from there.

99% of your motors that you build will be greens anyway. Personally, dont waste your money on Honda OEM bearings, pick up a full set of ACL Bearings for $85. size the rods to fit an your good to go.

Vuongy_Dong
05-05-2007, 10:14 AM
^^^well said.

green91
05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
youll want to start with GREENs because those are the middle of the clearance spectrum. Pastiguage an go from there.

99% of your motors that you build will be greens anyway. Personally, dont waste your money on Honda OEM bearings, pick up a full set of ACL Bearings for $85. size the rods to fit an your good to go.

Thats what i was looking for.

One last question, has anyone had bad experience with hastings rings or should i go with oem?

Vteckidd
05-05-2007, 10:19 AM
go with OEM IMO.

I know it costs more, but its worth it. I have never had any kind of problems with smoking issues from OEM rings.

I have had problems with JE rings an Hastings rings so i stay away from those

Vteckidd
05-05-2007, 10:20 AM
you can take your eagle rods an acl bearings to your machine shop and have the rods resized if you choose to do so.

or you can just put them in an plastiguage, if its in spec, which it should be, your good to go

green91
05-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Thats what i was leaning toward anyway, i appreciate the input. hopefully i can get this stuff ordered and tear that motor down within a week or two.