PDA

View Full Version : how to tint lexan???

madwick
05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
so i replaced the trunk on my teggy with a carbon fiber trunk and a FAL lexan window. i am interested to see how i can tint the lexan, since i have no A/C and its hot in south GA!!!

has anyone done it before or know if there is any problems with sticking regular tint to the window???

mxglory258
05-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Probably could do it with regular tint. I wouldn't see why not.

Other than the chance of it flexing and having the tint bubble and shit

The BUCKY
05-04-2007, 10:48 AM
you can only tint glass if i am not mistaken. the heat gun used on tint would melt the lexan before the tint

LiL PaKi
05-04-2007, 10:50 AM
i want a cf trunk :(

speedminded
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Argh, I've been wanting that hatch and glass for years!

you can only tint glass if i am not mistaken. the heat gun used on tint would melt the lexan before the tintFilm is less than a mm thick, definitely not going to damage lexan before applying it but you don't have to use a heat gun, can't use one on metallic tints anyways...it just won't work.

The problem with lexan is it outgasses and will create bubbles.

Sol-Badguy
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
i want a cf trunk :(
Me too.

I finally got my foe doe!

madwick
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
well damn it!!! would you recomend using that headlight tinting spray? it adheres to plastic... i know it makes it harder to see through but i woul like to tint.

also, if it creates bubbles how long are we talking creates bubbles? a day, a year... if its a long time i dont care cause ill tint it myself. plus i haven't seen the tint shop use a heat gun...

speedminded
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
well damn it!!! would you recomend using that headlight tinting spray? it adheres to plastic... i know it makes it harder to see through but i woul like to tint.

also, if it creates bubbles how long are we talking creates bubbles? a day, a year... if its a long time i dont care cause ill tint it myself. plus i haven't seen the tint shop use a heat gun...Using a heat gun is the easiest and latest way to apply tint, been done for years though...it's alot faster doing as good if not better job.

Most race race series don't allow tint so it's not a common practice. The older the Lexan the less outgassing it has. I would not suggest doing it but doesn't mean it can't be done.

bigdare23
05-04-2007, 01:09 PM
you can only tint glass if i am not mistaken. the heat gun used on tint would melt the lexan before the tint

thats what i heard!

madwick
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
damn it!!! so i got to break the lexan, then trans plant my old rear windshield just so i can tint it.

anyone want to buy my cf trunk with FAL lexan window. its the molded one, no rivets!!!

speedminded
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
damn it!!! so i got to break the lexan, then trans plant my old rear windshield just so i can tint it.

anyone want to buy my cf trunk with FAL lexan window. its the molded one, no rivets!!!$100 :D

madwick
05-04-2007, 03:44 PM
HA!