PDA

View Full Version : Which rotors to get?

TheGodfather
05-04-2007, 01:20 AM
I am looking at getting new rotors for my car I'm getting in FL. So I was looking on Tirerack at the Brembos. They have drilled, slotted, and plain.

Now after doing my own research and asking friends, I have found conflicting evidence. Some said slotted are better and drilled may crack. Another said slotted eat through pads quicker and drilled is the way to go. And one person suggested just going with the plain rotors.

I don't know enough about brakes to make an educated descsion, so I'm looking for some help. I keep gettin different opinions.

Thanks for the help.

nreggie454
05-04-2007, 05:25 AM
I voted plain... just get really good pads and you will be set.

mxglory258
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Depends no what your doing. Daily driving, racing etc. Me personally I'd go with slotted. They dont eat pads any faster. The edges of the slots if not already made to be, wear down very quickly.

I've never seen drilled rotors crack either. Hell I race motocross, and am constantly on the front brakes. I've had my brakes get so hot in a race that they've locked up or quit working completely. Never had an issue with cracking rotors.

So in all actuality money not an option, would go with slotted or drilled. However if you have enough know how, and access to the right shit, you could drill your own. I've done that as well on the old 71 nova I had.

TheGodfather
05-05-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Appreciate it.

Evil Goat
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
just dont buy ebc pads

yudalicious
05-09-2007, 12:27 AM
with aesthetics out of the question - plain. why anyone would pay more to get slotted and or drilled rotors is beyond me, there's neglible, if any, upsides to them. I'd find the cheapest plain/blank rotors you can find and throw them on.

The Ninja
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Drilled look the best!

speedminded
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
with aesthetics out of the question - plain. why anyone would pay more to get slotted and or drilled rotors is beyond me, there's neglible, if any, upsides to them. I'd find the cheapest plain/blank rotors you can find and throw them on.Crossdrilling DOES NOT provide a cooler rotor any more than plain, when you remove mass from an object that actually increases the temperature of what is left. I have a quote from the owner of Brembo saying they are strictly for cosmetic purposes. Cross drilling was originally done because of the outgassing of the pads used after disc brakes were first designed...we don't use those pads any more. The cracking with cross drilled rotors is caused from instantaneous changes in temperature...try putting boiling water in a frozen mug or vice versa and see what happens. Going through a water puddle with crossdrilled rotors could easily cause them to do the same thing.

Slotting cleans the surface of the pad, in a case where you've exceeded your brakes limits and have build up on the pad it is a cure. If you run the correct pad for the occasion then its no big deal and not needed.

§treet_§peed
05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
crossed drilled and slotted FTW!!!! :D

Fr33way
05-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Both cross drilled and slotted rotors have less surface area than blanks. For street/spirited driving good front pads and brake fluid with a high boiling point (Ford HD fluid is comparable to Motul for MUCH less) should make for a good increase in stopping power. Stainless steel lines improve brake feel a good bit as well. It's not really clear what you expect out of your setup based on your initial post.

sogood
05-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm running slotted Brembo's and will admit it's pretty much just an aesthetic thing for me. Good pads and stainless steel lines will make more of a difference in your stopping power.

santacruz77
05-14-2007, 08:18 PM
i think you should run brakless... cause tampa is gay... no but i say get drum brakes all the way around. very good for performance