PDA

View Full Version : General Chat carbon fiber?

SamiAm20
05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
does anyone know how to make my carbon fiber hood look new again please let me know it looks shitty right now

81911SC
05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Im pretty sure there is a specific wax just for CF.

SamiAm20
05-03-2007, 08:35 PM
ok cool u know where i can buy this shit cuz im tryin to get my car lookin clean so yeh

81911SC
05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I would check online. Do some research, I maybe wrong but seach like "How to clean carbon fiber" or something to that effect.

sina518
05-03-2007, 09:45 PM
how much clear coat is left? one way is wet sand and buff. second way if there is not enough clear left is to sand and then re clear

gtikid
05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Peanut butter

Seriously....peanut butter. Spread it all over the CF, let it sit for maybe 5-10 minutes, and then whipe it off. It's hard as fuck to whipe it off, but it does the job, a damn good job :goodjob:

caseyT
05-04-2007, 10:19 AM
if it looks faded you will have to wet sand it,,,then apply another clear coat to it...id go at least four or five coats never heard of peanut butter though id be scared to try that

gtikid
05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I've tried it, theres nothing to be scared of. The oil from the peanut butter makes it shine again. Besides, whats the worst that can happen? You spread it on there, and it might not work? Big wow, you lost a little bit of peanut butter.

Best way of spreading the peanut butter is with you bare hands, so don't be scared of getting a little dirty and sticky...

speedminded
05-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I've tried it, theres nothing to be scared of. The oil from the peanut butter makes it shine again. Besides, whats the worst that can happen? You spread it on there, and it might not work? Big wow, you lost a little bit of peanut butter.

Best way of spreading the peanut butter is with you bare hands, so don't be scared of getting a little dirty and sticky...Carbon fiber is a fabric normally coated with an epoxy resin...the clear "plastic". The resin is effected by heat and sunlight so it really needs a UV coating to help prevent it from turning milky...

Simply treat it like paint, clean it well with soap & water but rinse it a little more than normal (CF products are sometimes porous). Use a polish or mild compound on it first to take bring back the shiny surface then apply wax as normal. If you want to spend the money you can have it lightly wet sanded then a UV clear coat sprayed on top. You still treat it the same as paint on the car.

gtikid
05-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Peanut butter: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1795533&page=1

It is recommend to still get it clear coated afterwards. But yea peanut butter will get the job done....................temporarily at least. I've done it on a carbon fiber duck bill and you could see the results

speedminded
05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Peanut butter: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1795533&page=1

It is recommend to still get it clear coated afterwards. But yea peanut butter will get the job done....................temporarily at least. I've done it on a carbon fiber duck bill and you could see the resultsThe problem is you'll never ever get clear coat to stick once peanut butter has been applied...practically no amount of cleaning without completely ruining the carbon fiber will work. :2cents:

gtikid
05-05-2007, 07:55 PM
The problem is you'll never ever get clear coat to stick once peanut butter has been applied...practically no amount of cleaning without completely ruining the carbon fiber will work. :2cents:

Why will the clear coat not stick?

speedminded
05-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Why will the clear coat not stick?the oil in the peanut butter will saturate the epoxy and carbonfiber...depending on how porous and what quality it is nothing will stick to that oil.