PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Painted or Powder Coated ?

GuessWho
05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Something to spice up the Srt

william_jeff
05-03-2007, 02:14 PM
i vote for a powdercoated body

The BUCKY
05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
what are you doing to it.

TheGodfather
05-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Painted ftw, even though I think you are talking about wheels. Either way, painted.

The BUCKY
05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
thread/

The Youngn
05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
i vote for a powdercoated body
beamers form of painting the cars is powder coating:yes:

GuessWho
05-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Well if i had me a nice beamer it would stay stock but yea the wheels my friends and the speed is good for me right now so im not trying to make it some 9 sec car but really just a daily driver...

The Youngn
05-04-2007, 04:38 AM
painting wheels can chip and crack at some point in time if the paint isnt top quality. Go with powder coating...powder coating is more elastic and will withstand up to more if it were hit by a rock and stuff. Definitely powder coating

william_jeff
05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
painting wheels can chip and crack at some point in time if the paint isnt top quality. Go with powder coating...powder coating is more elastic and will withstand up to more if it were hit by a rock and stuff. Definitely powder coating

i did my own painting of my starion wheels and the only problem i have had so far is because i wasnt able to put on the clear coat and i had no time to do it, so one wheel is chipping. so you can paint them yourself or have them painted:yes:

speedminded
05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
beamers form of painting the cars is powder coating:yes:try electrocoating, take a motorcycle or car battery charger and connect the negative to the wheel then the positive alligator clip to the bottom edge of the can or handle on the sprayer....called cathodic electrocoating. Opposites attract, it will create a perfect coat ;)

You can do anodic electrocoating by reversing the positive and negative.

GuessWho
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
You wanna do it for me ????? u know WAY more than i do.... and i dont think ill be having the car for too much longer so the cheapest way to go would be the best for me ...

speedminded
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
You wanna do it for me ????? u know WAY more than i do.... and i dont think ill be having the car for too much longer so the cheapest way to go would be the best for me ...just rattle can it :tongue:

GuessWho
05-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Done did!!!

rolling_trip
05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
beamers form of painting the cars is powder coating:yes:

I think it is just the priming process if i am not mistaken. I ran across that a while back when i worked for Wagner Powder Coating. However most wheels are now PCed and finished with a clearcoat, which is freaking amazing.

BTW, check out Lithia Powder Coating, off of Lee RD, I 20. They have a pretty nice setup and a HUGE oven.

MulattoBoi
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I say powdercoated.

GuessWho
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I say OK!!! lol.... who did urs and where is some places i can call to check up on cause one of my friends said i could get all 4 done for 600 ... is that a good deal or wat ?

mxglory258
05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Hell no. go to harbor freight, pick up a 90 dollar powder coating set up, go to walmart get a cheap pancake air compressor. spend another 10 bucks on powder itself, get some sand paper, and paint polish like Mequires Diamond Cut 2.0.

DO all that, hit em, bake it in ur oven. All for less than oh idk?? 300 bucks. Then you'll have all the shit to do other things later.

I did this back home. Building exhaust for 4 stroke dirtbikes and 4 wheelers. We made comparable power to Curtis Sparks exhaust, for half the price. All our shit was paid for in 3 weeks. Made 400 dollars profit in 3 weeks as well..after everything was caught back up on. ya dig?

At the time, the powder coating gun was only 50 bucks too.

rolling_trip
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
lol, i would not recomend using your home oven to bake it, unless you plan on never using it to cook with again. Some powders have a habit of leaving a nasty "forget me not" odor. Btw, those cheap setups are crap. Just to give you an idea of the cost of an industrial model, those run between 4k and 6k depending on how fancy you want to get with it.

speedminded
05-04-2007, 08:40 PM
lol, i would not recomend using your home oven to bake it, unless you plan on never using it to cook with again. Some powders have a habit of leaving a nasty "forget me not" odor. Btw, those cheap setups are crap. Just to give you an idea of the cost of an industrial model, those run between 4k and 6k depending on how fancy you want to get with it.hahaha, yeah you don't wanna use your home oven...and never attempt it in a gas oven. The powdercoat is flammable and open flame will ignite the fumes...that might pose a problem for the average house ;)

A basic powdercoat gun setup is $100 and a powdercoat oven large enough to do a wheel is $500-1000. I think someone mentioned Harbor Freight above...Northern Tool has them as well. As rolling_trip mentioned, you get what you pay for. It's just like any trade involving tools, a barber can spend $10 or upwards of several hundred for a single pair of scissors...you get what you pay for.

mxglory258
05-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey I paid 50 bucks for the set up, 10 bucks a color for powder, and i forget how much for the compressor. Used my home (gas) oven. Never once had a problem. Never left any odors. NEver burnt down. Nothin!

Ok i was wrong on the powder prices

Thats the gun and shit I had.

There's an oven there for 399. Didnt look at the size tho

POWDER COATING (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=powder+coating&Submit=Go)

speedminded
05-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey I paid 50 bucks for the set up, 10 bucks a color for powder, and i forget how much for the compressor. Used my home (gas) oven. Never once had a problem. Never left any odors. NEver burnt down. Nothin!That's amazing...and you're lucky, that's all i have to say.

mxglory258
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
That's amazing...and you're lucky, that's all i have to say.
I can live with luck. Esp. with the money we started making. Wish I never left lol

GuessWho
05-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Ill just hold off on it then... or might just get a pro to do it

igot3240
05-06-2007, 10:29 AM
powder coat as well

my97lude
05-07-2007, 09:12 PM
i dont know why but i really like poweder coated now.

.blank cd
05-08-2007, 01:06 AM
try electrocoating, take a motorcycle or car battery charger and connect the negative to the wheel then the positive alligator clip to the bottom edge of the can or handle on the sprayer....called cathodic electrocoating. Opposites attract, it will create a perfect coat ;)

You can do anodic electrocoating by reversing the positive and negative.

whats the difference between the two?