PDA

View Full Version : My car keeps overheating

WhtTegChick
05-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Ok heres the deal. I have a 94 teg and I can't get it to stop overheating. At first I thought it was because the fans were not turning on at all. I fixed the fan problem and it still overheats sometimes. Then I thought it might be the thermostat but I checked the lower radiator hoes:boobies: and it was hot, so a no go there, I don't think it's the head gastket (no white shit under the oil cap). Think I might change the radiator next. So what do you guys think I should do. Help me out i'm just a poor helpless girl. lol.

BTLFED
05-02-2007, 08:42 PM
How old is the radiator?

twinj
05-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Make sure you have anifreeze in there.
How does you radiator look is it clogged up with rocks and debris?

WhtTegChick
05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know how old the radiator is and I will have to check it for rocks tomorrow and let you know.

d16_turbo
05-02-2007, 10:57 PM
are the heater hose / heater core good?

WhtTegChick
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
are the heater hose / heater core good?

As far as I can tell. There is no fluid on the floor and no coolant leaks.

Annihilation
05-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Could have a warped head...just cuz water is not in the oil does not mean the head/gasket is not bad...white smoke from tail pipe when car begins to heat up...means cracked/warped head/bad gasket seal.....

check the radiator internally...if the openings for the bars inside are clogged

mxglory258
05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Could have a warped head...just cuz water is not in the oil does not mean the head/gasket is not bad...white smoke from tail pipe when car begins to heat up...means cracked/warped head/bad gasket seal.....

check the radiator internally...if the openings for the bars inside are clogged

Beat me to it!

Once its over heated 2 or 3 times more than likely its warped. Had the same issue's on one of my previous honda's.

kain86
05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
ok im only gonna say this because i just dealt with the same problem.... i changed my radiator, all the hoses, thermostat 5x, straight wired the fan to a switch, flushed it 4x, new waterpump, ect..... and it was the head gasket even though no smoke, perfect compression, no coolant in oil, vice versa, head gasket would be the way to go... i spent $250+ on a $25 problem... good luck

TheGodfather
05-03-2007, 11:34 PM
I second the headgasket idea. Def. sounds like a probable blown head gasket. Common in Hondas/Acuras.

Tinton
05-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure what its like on those OHC heads, but on my Fiero I overheated it maybe 5-6 times last fall (1-2 times really bad...) and it was just the waterpump. That cost me $30 to fix ($30 for the pump, and my sweat, haha). Its still going strong even now, and that V6 has about 150,000 miles and some overheating on it. You might consider just changing the pump first. If you think its the gasket, go get a compression check.

mxglory258
05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure what its like on those OHC heads, but on my Fiero I overheated it maybe 5-6 times last fall (1-2 times really bad...) and it was just the waterpump. That cost me $30 to fix ($30 for the pump, and my sweat, haha). Its still going strong even now, and that V6 has about 150,000 miles and some overheating on it. You might consider just changing the pump first. If you think its the gasket, go get a compression check.
Its a honda/acura motor. Its the head gasket. Compression test it for sure. Cheapest way to find out. Once you get the head off, take it and have it checked. VERY Good possibility its warped.

Fiero...Dont those have cast heads on them 2.8 V6??? (I dont know, i'm asking) Not aluminum? They won't warp near as quick as a honda/acura head.

Tinton
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Its a honda/acura motor. Its the head gasket. Compression test it for sure. Cheapest way to find out. Once you get the head off, take it and have it checked. VERY Good possibility its warped.

Fiero...Dont those have cast heads on them 2.8 V6??? (I dont know, i'm asking) Not aluminum? They won't warp near as quick as a honda/acura head.

Yeah my heads are cast iron. So yes, I guess iron resists warping better than aluminum.

myyellowspec
05-04-2007, 06:45 PM
HMM I didn't think about the head. Luckily for me my bf has one sitting in the garage. Now all I have to do is tear him away from his DA long enough to work on my car. This is WhtTegChick on my bf sn btw lol.:???:

WhtTegChick
05-06-2007, 03:33 PM
HMM I didn't think about the head. Luckily for me my bf has one sitting in the garage. Now all I have to do is tear him away from his DA long enough to work on my car. This is WhtTegChick on my bf sn btw lol.:???:

For the record IA was already up on our laptop, and I didn't realize that I was on his sn and not mine...what a dumbass right? lol :screwy: