PDA

View Full Version : Help with Traffic Ticket

RXWarrior2
05-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I got stopped by the Fulton County Police today while driving home with my parents in the Evo. We just left "Whole Foods" in Duluth, made a right hand turn out of the parking lot and onto State Bridge Road. I saw that there was a turn only that turned into Publix on the right, so I signalled and changed lanes to the left lane and then after I was past the white hash marked Publix turn lane, I re-signalled to get back into the right lane again to make a right onto highway 141 to head back to my house. Immediately after I turned right, the cop was right on my tail and pulled me over. I commented to my parents that I had no idea what I did wrong. The cop asked if I knew why he stopped me and I said no idea, and he said I went straight, right through the right turn lane at Publix. I immediately told him I signalled and got into the left lane and then re-signalled after I passed the Publix turn only. He said that I didn't, and that I went straight through. This cop blatently lied and wrote me a ticket for Improper Driving on Roadway. What I figure is that I need to get a lawyer right away and fight the ticket, because I'll be the first person to admit a mistake, but the officer lied and my parents saw me signal and get over to avoid the turn lane into Publix. I was so mad that after the cop left, I went back and drove the route again and the cop already had a flashy Mustang pulled over at the same spot. Also, as the officer approached my car, he tapped the rear spoiler as if he was happy he pulled over a high-performance car. I was polite with the officer and this is the first time I have been ticketed in GA and PA for that matter, so my record is clean. Does anyone know a good lawyer that will represent me? I hope the officer has a video of what he saw because my car clearly signalled and did not go straight through the turn only like he accused me of doing. Any help would be appreciated. Thx! Dave

Bishop
05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
going through ll that trouble over a singal. Don't bother. Waste of money and time. Just callup and find out howmuch it is.

Kyle
05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
This is actually a reasonable complaint. Usually threads about tickets are some faggy ricer saying "man I got pulled over for going 120, I have no license, and the cop caught me for possesion, I hate cops."

I don't know what to tell you, that sucks, but I doubt its worth the effort of getting a lawyer or anything. Also i will be careful from now on over there. I live in that area but have yet to see cops over there.

collins
05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
check and see if its a points violation. if its not, then i'd suggest paying the fine. sure, it sucks, but its probably a good bit cheaper than any decent lawyer. on the filp side, if it IS a points violation, then its your call.... if its worth a minimum of $500-800 to keep your record spotless, than that would be a viable investment.

cactusEG
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
get a lawyer

Crazy Asian
05-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Ya check and see if it gonna be some points on your license. YOu got witness in the car. So its 3 ppl testimony vs 1 cop.

EM1toEVO
05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
David I am sorry to hear about that. I would definitely look into getting a lawyer. Sometimes cops just like to push their power around. I definitely believe you. I rode with you, and you are a courteous and attentive driver. Just because we have nice cars makes us targets. I get followed all the time, and it seems the cop is just looking to find fault with my driving.

-Brett

quickdodge®
05-02-2007, 08:00 PM
This is actually a reasonable complaint. Usually threads about tickets are some faggy ricer saying "man I got pulled over for going 120, I have no license, and the cop caught me for possesion, I hate cops."

I agree. Nice post. At least you seem to be still respectful of officers. This really depends on whether you have the time and money and if your time and money offsets the fine. This fine will probably cost less than $75. I'm pretty sure that fighting this ticket will cost you more than that. Later, QD.

RXWarrior2
05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks Brett, I'll be the 1st to admit a mistake, but I signalled and changed lanes legally and the changed back after Publix and the cop lied and said I never changed lanes. Hope to get together with you soon. I'll look for a lawyer tomorrow, but hopefully someone on here can recommend one.

Dave

santacruz77
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
ya i think what qd said is true it will prolly be cheaper to just pay its sucks tho i got a 2 tickets back for somthing stupid its lame when you know your right but the cop just rights a ticket any ways. gl tho man

ATK_Designs
05-02-2007, 08:18 PM
damn, that's fucking blows man.

I'm sorry to say it but you will never win. No evidence nor witnesses. It's all hearsays and the judge and the cops are the same people. They just want your money. Kangaroo court system

Fighting it will cost more than paying for it probably.

GIXXERDK
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I dont think that ticket will give you alot of points. I really dont think its worth getting a lawyer over. If money is no object, go for it

disrupt
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Sometimes cops just like to push their power around. t
I don't think it's so much of an assertion of power, he probably just figured it'd be an easy way to fullfill his quota(my guess at least, I'm not really sure how that works for them), given that most people won't go through the trouble of arguing it out.

RXWarrior2
05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Well I had 2 passengers in my car that were witnesses and saw me signal and get over before the turn only area and get back over for my turn after the publix turn only. i need to protect my driving record since i'm a pilot and going to federal arms training in 2 weeks, so it's important to be sure this does not show up on my record. certainly if i made the mistake i would admit it, but the officer lied. don't all the patrol cars carry video nowadays? that will be proof for sure.

twinj
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
It is going to be a point violation. (Moving Violation) are all Points violation. If it is worth it to you to pay a lawer. Than to pay the $75 ticket. By all means do what you gotta do.

Hulud
05-02-2007, 09:43 PM
its not worth it AT ALL

unless someone in your family is a lawyer and will work pro bono for you

the ticket will be under $100 more than likely and only like 1 or 2 points on your license. is it really worth hundreds of dollars in lawyer fees?

Greddypacked
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
You should have told the cop you were going to pilot training in a few weeks. Cops care if your nice and respectable towards them. I got off of a red turn arrow that i literally ran and the cop knew it, but i said i worked for DHL and if i get a ticket i will lose my job. I respected the cop and talked nicely he let me off w/ a warning.

koukis14
05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Where are you from in PA?

Stormhammer
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
dont get a lawyer, the ticket is going to be less than $100, the lawyer will charge you more than that just for him to tell you its best to pay it

Just pay it - its not a moving violation I dont believe, and if it is, its like 1 point - whatever the end result is, its not worth a lawyer

Hulud
05-02-2007, 10:36 PM
dont get a lawyer, the ticket is going to be less than $100, the lawyer will charge you more than that just for him to tell you its best to pay it

Just pay it - its not a moving violation I dont believe, and if it is, its like 1 point - whatever the end result is, its not worth a lawyer
thanks for posting almost verbatim what i posted three posts before you...

RXWarrior2
05-02-2007, 10:40 PM
the cop said it would be 3 points. i feel like he harassed me since i did not do what he said i did. i'm sure 3 points will raise my insurance rate. i'm from reading, PA.

yeahright
05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
You have his information, file a complaint with someone above him and see where that gets you.

ATK_Designs
05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
okay, if that's the case where it can potentially hurt your career, then follow what I said here.

It WILL work out for you, and be off the record. They just want your money, not your career.

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35538590#post35538590

ATK_Designs
05-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Lawyer = Costly and you'd still have to pay
Complaints = Never get through unless he got like 100x complaints in 1 mo.

Best of luck to you.

koukis14
05-02-2007, 11:29 PM
the cop said it would be 3 points. i feel like he harassed me since i did not do what he said i did. i'm sure 3 points will raise my insurance rate. i'm from reading, PA.

Ahhh I'm from around York.

RXWarrior2
05-02-2007, 11:58 PM
York, PA is not too far, I use to fly there for lunch, they have a nice lunch at the airport in York. Interlude, thx for the advice, I'll work on this tomorrow.

LeX
05-03-2007, 06:36 AM
3 points is absolute BS. The best thing to do is call up the solicitor's office and schedule a meeting before the arraignment if possible, or plead not guilty at the arraignment and then meet after that. Tell him your concerns and the issues with the officer and tell him you'll be happy to pay the fine if the points will be removed. Much less costly than a lawyer. If he declines your offer then get a lawyer for the actual trial and you've already used your options

koukis14
05-03-2007, 08:18 AM
York, PA is not too far, I use to fly there for lunch, they have a nice lunch at the airport in York. Interlude, thx for the advice, I'll work on this tomorrow.

Yeah I have eaten there. What do you fly?

Doppelgänger
05-03-2007, 08:27 AM
It is going to be a point violation. (Moving Violation) are all Points violation. If it is worth it to you to pay a lawer. Than to pay the $75 ticket. By all means do what you gotta do.

wrong- too fast for conditions is a 0 point offense.

To the thread starter. Call the court and see how much the fine will be and ask how many points it will put on your record. If it turns out the fine is low, but you get points and really want to keep points off, then get a lawyer.

quickdodge®
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
wrong- too fast for conditions is a 0 point offense.

Not according to DDS website.

Points are accumulated for:
Reckless Driving 4 points
Unlawful passing school bus 6 points
Improper passing on hill or curve 4 points
Speeding
15 mph but less than 19 mph
19 mph but less than 24 mph
24 mph but less than 34 mph
34 mph or more
2 points
3 points
4 points
6 points
Disobedience of any traffic-control device or traffic officer 3 points
Possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage while driving 2 points
Failure to adequately secure a load 2 points
All other moving violations 3 points
Child restraint - 1st offense 1 point
Child restraint - 2nd and subsequent offense 2 points
Aggressive driving
(A conviction of aggressive driving by a person under 21 years
of age will result in a suspension of the driver's license.) 6 points
HOV lane violation - 4th and subsequent offense. 1 point

Later, QD.

Leadfoot_mf
05-03-2007, 09:16 AM
drop top is right

quickdodge®
05-03-2007, 09:20 AM
drop top is right
Being that "too fast for conditions" is the case, then yes, it would zero points. Later, QD.

Ed
05-03-2007, 09:50 AM
dave good job on starting a thread about a ticket and not gettin flamed. usually those are frowned upon by IA, but it seems you explained your case well, and courteously, +1 for that.

dave i got your voice mail last night, i tried to call you back but you never answered. sorry it happened to you man, cops can be dicks sometimes. one time i got a bullshit ticket like that as well. i was about to make a right from one road to another, and it was one of those right lane turn only, and the lady in front of me her car basically died, and she waved me to go around her, so i did. the cop followed me, and i explained to him the situation, he was like, you kids with your fast cars are always up to no good, so i dont wanna hear it. so i played it cool, talked to the solicitor, he said the officer gave me bs, and he dropped 3 tickets, and only charged me $99 for court fees. i was happy, cuz 1- i didnt get no points, and 2- i probably wouldve had to pay around 500 bucks.

i got improper lane change, improper passing, and improper turn.

my recommendation, go to court, solicitors are usually very courteous if you try to reason with them, and being that you have your career in jeopardy, im sure they will let you off the hook, if not, tell them you want a continuance, then get a lawyer. try to resolve it yourself first.

good luck and let me know, i got a kickass lawyer who got me off the hook for doing 36 over once ( i was young and stupid lol )

RXWarrior2
05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Hello Ed, thx for your help. I'm not sure what the "solicitors" job is. I have a court date for May 22, but I'll be in Federal Firearms school at that time, so I'll have to get the date changed. Can I go see the solicitor right now and explain what happened along with my 2 witnesses that were in my car and saw the entire event? Your incident sounds ridiculous too. I think our cars are police magnets, but a cop lying is not good. I lost a lot of respect in them yesterday.

RXWarrior2
05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Ed, did you have the correct phone # for me? I never saw that you called on caller ID. D

Ed
05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Hello Ed, thx for your help. I'm not sure what the "solicitors" job is. I have a court date for May 22, but I'll be in Federal Firearms school at that time, so I'll have to get the date changed. Can I go see the solicitor right now and explain what happened along with my 2 witnesses that were in my car and saw the entire event? Your incident sounds ridiculous too. I think our cars are police magnets, but a cop lying is not good. I lost a lot of respect in them yesterday.

you can get a continuance, you need to walk in, because you need to sign it. you can also try calling the solicitor, im not sure how that works though, because my lawyer did the calling for me, so im not sure if any person can call them.

a solicitor, I THINK, is just a mediator between the court and yourself. im not 100% sure, but you have to go through him/her before you talk to the judge.

leadfoot_mf seems to know a lot about these things. try pm'ing him.

Ed
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Ed, did you have the correct phone # for me? I never saw that you called on caller ID. D

yeah i just called back the number you called me from.

Doppelgänger
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Not according to DDS website.

Later, QD.

I was pointing out to the person who said 'all moving offenses are points violations, thats all. Not saying that the ticket in question is point-less (no pun intended).

quickdodge®
05-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I was pointing out to the person who said 'all moving offenses are points violations, thats all. Not saying that the ticket in question is point-less (no pun intended).

I got you. But according to DDS, all moving violations are worth points. I did just find out that "too fast," as odd as it is, is NOT considered a moving violation. Later, QD.

twinj
05-03-2007, 10:24 AM
^^ That is the samething that i was thinking too.

An example of my situation, My license had got suspended but if you don't give the insurance company any reason to look at your record they wont. I am with state farm and my premiums actually went down. (55mph over basically young and dumb learned from my mistakes.)

RXWarrior2
05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I ended up hiring a lawyer, I submitted my driving record to the lawyer(clean the last 22 years), and have not heard from the lawyer yet. He said he has the officer's phone number and will try to get it dropped altogether, or if not, at least drop the charges to "too fast for conditions", which carries no points and will not show up on the driving record, but if the officer is stubborn about it, then who knows what the next step will be. Guess fight it in court.

no control
05-10-2007, 09:29 PM
good luck with all that man. i respect cops in general, but some of them are just dicks regardless.

Ed
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
the lawyer i gave you is really good dave. he might have charged you a bit, but he's the best nonetheless. i trust you will get what you want out of the deal.

gijoe0720
05-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I have heard that sometimes cops will tap on your trunk to see if it is open and make sure no one is hiding in it. At least that is what someone that works at the sheriff's office up here said.

RXWarrior2
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I finally had my court date this past Tuesday. I showed up along with my lawyer, and the judge dismissed the ticket, no points, no record on my license. I had to pay $105 in court fees, plus $1000 for the lawyer fee. Thanks Ed for referring me to your lawyer, he was good. I'm certainly not rich, but it was the principle of fighting for what was right, so that's why I hired the lawyer. I do make mistakes, but in this case I was in the right, and I was blamed for something I did not do. Be careful out there.

fire7882
07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
+1 to you

Ed
07-01-2007, 10:04 PM
glad you got it worked out dave! :)

sullen
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
my advice, let it go to court. you got witnesses. if you didnt run thru there, then go to court and bring your parents. a piggy tried to give me that ticket when i was turning into the publix on baker. it went to court, the judge let me go. he gave me some big long story about how police are just trying to keep everything safe...it sucked having to listen to that, but i got off. but thats cobb county. get rid of the evo, get a mustang, never again get anoter ticket, no matter how shitty your diving is. thats the degree of redneck the cops are i guess.

Nitro
07-01-2007, 10:23 PM
glad it worked out for u bro...... ;)

Ed
07-01-2007, 11:46 PM
my advice, let it go to court. you got witnesses. if you didnt run thru there, then go to court and bring your parents. a piggy tried to give me that ticket when i was turning into the publix on baker. it went to court, the judge let me go. he gave me some big long story about how police are just trying to keep everything safe...it sucked having to listen to that, but i got off. but thats cobb county. get rid of the evo, get a mustang, never again get anoter ticket, no matter how shitty your diving is. thats the degree of redneck the cops are i guess.

LOL

first, he took care of it already.

second, bring your parents? the man is 30 something.

third, get rid of the evo?!? lol :screwy:

ShooterMcGavin
07-02-2007, 12:35 AM
gl w/it

sullen
07-02-2007, 12:39 AM
yea, i didnt read all the way down. but when my friend and my step brother got pulled over for in excess of 100mph on cobb pkwy racing, the cops yelled at my friend(in the eclipse) and told my stepbrother to go get in his car(mustang)......the eclipse guy got the ticket, nothing for my step brother.... im just saying they doint mess with the domestics. they're all rednecks.