Its not too hard to set up a FWD car to lose traction in the rear:
-Lower front tire pressure, increase rear tire pressure
-Really stiff (heavier) rear swaybar
-Larger wheels/tires up front than in back
-More negative front camber, more positive camber in back
-More front toe out
-Stiffer rear springs
-Shorter wheel base

Its MUCH easier to do in cars with short wheel bases, it would be easiest in an EF or EG hatch. If you want your fwd car to be a little more tail happy, just put a stiff swaybar in the back and leave the front one stock.

Elbow
05-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I admit I used to play around with my EF back in the day like that, messing around all the time with tires and suspension :(

Riceboy891
05-03-2007, 11:33 AM
If I am not mistaken the driver in the video is Keisuke Hatakeyama who drives for Falken in the drift EF hatch I know that a lot of people have seen this video but this is him before he got on with Falken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyBXl56a0AY

Elbow
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
sweet

Riceboy891
05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Here is part of his interview with Honda Tuning. Its not all about the hand brake he maintains the speed and angle by modulating the throttle, brakes, steering, and the hand brake, just like all you real drifters;).

HONDA TUNING: Let's talk about technique for a minute. What about tire and suspension settings?
KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: You should raise air pressure in your rear tires to about 35 psi. Then make sure the rear wheels are toe-out, where the rear edges are closer than the front edges. Rear shocks should be soft but the springs should be hard. I use Tein shocks. I also use bigger wheels in the front than rear.

HONDA TUNING: And you're using an Integra engine in your Civic?
KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: Yes, it's a Type R engine. The extra power helps.

HONDA TUNING: One of the Falken guys told us they were planning to turbocharge your car.
KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: Yes, it's being turbocharged by the Falken people for next year. The reason is to increase corner entry and exit speed. Compared to FR cars, FF cars can go side by side at the entry since it's only about how fast you can get it going before entering the corner. But FR cars have it easier at the exit so hopefully the turbo will help me cover that point.

HONDA TUNING: Can you explain your e-brake technique?
KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: The first thing is not to tune your e-brake so that it’s too sensitive. Some guys think they have to have the brakes ultratight to drift in FF cars but that's not true. You need to have a lot of slack until the e-brake fully kicks in at the very top. You need that partial braking zone so you can ride it. As for practice methods, start by practicing your turns using the e-brakes. When you start drifting, make sure you don't stop the rear tires with the side brakes. Just use the brakes to turn the direction of the car, not to stop the rear tires. That's just sliding your car with momentum.

HONDA TUNING: Why the EF Civic for drifting?
KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: The EF hatch is a better car for FF drifting because of its overall balance. Despite its light weight, the wheelbase is pretty long. The EF is actually longer than a Toyota Levin. When approaching a corner to drift, I can make the rear end slide out with only the brake pedal. The EF hatch is also good because its movement is very smooth. The Integra and CRX can be very sharp. The CRX especially is very twitchy. I can drift with an Integra but its tendency is to stay sideways once it starts drifting. It's hard to swing it back at the end of a turn.

HONDA TUNING: What are your thoughts and technique as you approach a typical corner and initiate a FF drift?
KEISUKE HATAKEYAMA: The entrance is the same as an FR. It all depends on how fast you can enter the corner and throw the tail out sideways. You adjust your drift and cornering angle with the gas and steering. When you reach the clipping point, you use the gas and tap the e-brake to maintain the drift. Exit the drift on the gas and tapping on the e-brake once again. All of this must happen without lifting off the gas. Your foot should be on the gas the whole time, either at full or half-throttle.

Sentra
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Its not too hard to set up a FWD car to lose traction in the rear:
-Lower front tire pressure, increase rear tire pressure
-Really stiff (heavier) rear swaybar
-Larger wheels/tires up front than in back
-More negative front camber, more positive camber in back
-More front toe out
-Stiffer rear springs
-Shorter wheel base

You must have crazy Grand Turismo skills.

coolcat
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
YOU ARE MY FUCKING HERO. I LOVE YOU.

zakkkaliscious
05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
thats awsome i wanna try it.

HiPSI
05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
can still only slide one turn at a time before he runs out of momentum ;).

Riceboy891
05-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Well there has to be at least one hater. lol j/k

Jecht
05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
You must have crazy Grand Turismo skills.

Haha I don't really try to do that in GT.

can still only slide one turn at a time before he runs out of momentum ;).
Thats the biggest problem. By getting the car to a crazy angle, you slow down a lot. This is why I don't particularly care about setting a FWD car up to drift, but just a little oversteer in a fwd car will allow you to go a little faster in the corners and the loss of traction is easy to control.