PDA

View Full Version : big f'n fish

kilpatty43
06-30-2005, 07:36 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/06/30/fish.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

One big fish
Thai men hook 646-lb. catfish, may be world's largest
Posted: Thursday June 30, 2005 10:57AM; Updated: Thursday June 30, 2005 12:54PM

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Thai fishermen caught a 293-kilogram (646-pound) catfish that may have been the world's largest freshwater fish, wildlife conservation groups said.

The Mekong giant catfish was netted by villagers in a remote part of northern Thailand, the World Wildlife Fund and the National Geographic Society said in a statement.

When wildlife officials caught wind of the catch they urged the villagers to release the adult male so that it could spawn, but it later died and was eaten, the groups said. They did not say when the massive fish was caught.

The fish was the heaviest recorded since Thai officials started tracking the species in 1981 and may be the largest freshwater fish ever discovered, the statement said.

"An astonishing find," researcher Zeb Hogan was quoted as saying. Hogan leads an international project funded by the groups to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.

The catfish species has been declining, a phenomenon fishermen blame on dams and environmental damage along the Mekong River -- home to more species of giant fish than any other river, the statement said.

The Mekong giant catfish -- which shares the title of largest freshwater fish with a close relative, the dog-eating catfish -- was listed as critically endangered in 2003 after research showed its numbers had fallen by at least 80 percent over the past 13 years.

"My study of giant freshwater fish is showing a clear and global pattern: the largest fish species are disappearing," Hogan said. "By acting now, we can save animals like the Mekong giant catfish from extinction."

Jaimecbr900
06-30-2005, 07:47 PM
I wonder if they used a 10lb test line or 15????? :D

What's crazy is they say that there are catfish that big in Lake Lanier.

Texasprep77
06-30-2005, 07:54 PM
LMAO i heard they used a stick with string on it to catch the fish. But all jokes aside i heard there are some big fish in lake lanier. Not 646 lbs., but big.

O yeah when i was down in Destin this summer me and my dad went gulf fishing one day. We always use the same captain and when we catch some nice fish we use them for shark bait.. i caught a 7 ft bull shark and pulled it all the way to the boat b4 we cut it loose. It was a scary monster.

-Ryan :jester:

If you're cool, +1 me

BlackDubs
06-30-2005, 08:29 PM
I wonder if they used a 10lb test line or 15????? :D

What's crazy is they say that there are catfish that big in Lake Lanier.

Ive heard that many times also. Heard that they are possibly some that are a size of a car. Its not unbelieveable though. Im pretty sure there are some that size.

bigb996
06-30-2005, 08:50 PM
holy crap that ones bigger than that guy caught here in the us last month.