PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone here wakeboard???

Z32redondo
04-30-2007, 08:10 AM
My parents got a good deal on an older searay and i am looking to get into the sport. Any tips or techniques that might help me learn. I have never done it before so tips on basic manuevering (SP) and jumping the wake a little will be helpful. Also buying a board in the next couple of weeks so if anyone has one sitting in the corner I have cash.

81911SC
04-30-2007, 08:55 AM
I'll check with my friend, he has a 06 Hyperlite Parks board laying around. Starting will be the hardest part till you get it. Float on your butt, knees bent and bottom of board facing the boat. Keep your hands in close and on each end of the handle. Do not try to stand up to fast or jump in any way. When the boat starts to move, just sit in that position and let the boat pull you up, remember do not stand up to fast. The boat will also straighten you up and there ya go. Anything else just ask.:goodjob:

ScreaminZetec
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
WARNING LONG ASS POST!!!!

Getting up isnt too bad if you know the basics. The best places I've found for tips and info are wakeworld.com and wakeboarder.com I ride CWB boards and love them, I dont think i would change brands as there stuff is top notch and they have the best customer service I have ever seen.

You want a decent board and good bindings. If you buy one of those crapy board packages you'll end up out growing the board by the end of the summer. I started with a CWB Sol but out grew it in about 4 months. Maybe look at the CWB Faction with Faction bindings. I hear its a great board to start on and you will probably not out grow it.

As for getting up, its not too hard. Here how it was explained to me and it worked great. And I have taught 6 people to get up this way too. First you need to decide which foot you want to ride in the back. I ride with my left foot back, but most ride with their right foot back. Which ever feels better. More on this later.

First basically get all strapped in and in the water with the bottom of the board facing the boat and perpendicular to the boat. Pull your kneed up towards your chest. You kind wanna be in a squatting position. You want your arms straight outside your knees hold thing handle. Next point your toes towards the boat, you have to create an angle for the board to plane out of the water on.

Now your ready to hit it. The driver doesnt have to yank you out of the water. As you start moving keep in the squatted position and remember to point your toes!! If you dont you'll just plow and the rope will get ripped out of your hand. IMPORTANT: Let the boat pull you up, dont try and stand up until your outta the water and on plane. Once your up on plane just stand up and keep that rope close to your front hip.

A few tips:
When coming out of the water I go ahead and stat pulling my back foot back and getting the board turned parallel to the boat, some people do this right away and others do it once they are up. I guess its just preferece.

Also I know thats a bit confusing its alot harder to type than to tell someone on the lake! haha, So check out those sites as they have great info about getting up and everyone is extremely helpful and can probably explain it better than I can.

Lastly remember to just have fun! Its such an addiction, and I've gotta go take a final but if you want I can try and give ya some types on edging later. But right now just concentrate on getting up and getting a feel for it, your balance will come with board time. Let me know if you've got any questions, I can talk your ear off about wakeboarding. haha

///Mary
04-30-2007, 09:21 AM
let the boat pull you- don't pull the boat.... agreed...
and what i do is instead of pushing my right foot forward, i pull my left foot back when you are trying to stand up and twist your feet so one is in front... so i don't faceplant- at least that's what works for me! ;)

Z32redondo
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys appreciate it. A family friend has a board Im probably going to use this weekend. So I will watch a few video's on youtube to get some sort of technique down (seeing does more than reading for me), and we will see what happens. STILL LOOKING FOR A BOARD THOUGH.

quickdodgeŽ
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I use mine for surfing, though. Later, QD.

81911SC
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
My friends dad has that board, unreal lol

quickdodgeŽ
05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I wonder how he managed that. It's a Budweiser only item. Later, QD.

Z32redondo
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
nice

Extrememustang
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I havent wakeboard or knee board in 11 years.

Sol-Badguy
05-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I kneeboard and ski.

I would've started wakeboarding but couldn't afford a board. I also have a
"skurfboard" that I tried to use a few years ago. I never could get up on it though.

81911SC
05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I wonder how he managed that. It's a Budweiser only item. Later, QD.
His sister works for them in Boston.

quickdodgeŽ
05-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Gotcha! Later, QD.

Blitanicle99
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Start small and work up. I bought a starter board off ebay from an ebay store for like 170 bucks. Ive used it two seasons and bought a hyperlite. Get a comfy jacket. The neopreme ones are completely worth it. Gloves are overrated.

Two big rules:
A. While riding, DO NOT try to turn the board sideways. You can learn to turn it 180 on the water but everyone justs lets the toes down and your in for a hurting.
B. Learn toe side first. Meaning when your riding, your toes are pointed outside. Like when you want to jump, you learn forward so your toes face outward, you lean back in and "pop" the board, basicly the second you hit the wave you push on it quicky and youll fly. I can get 10+ feet of air without a tower. It also takes a while to learn heel side jumps.
-Also the wakeboard ropes that strech and are a little shorter are well worth it, you can get alot more air.

As for getting up, I dont get up sideways and turn the board, I get up on an angle. You couch on the board in the water with the board facing about a 60 degree angle with the rope on the open side of the board. As the boat pulls you up, you stand up slowly. Its a lot easier than trying to ride sideways and falling 10 times.
I have been skiing for 14 years, been able to sloalm for 10 and been trick skiing just as long. Ive been waking for 3 years now. If you were in the area Id teach you.

81911SC
05-01-2007, 10:41 PM
B. Learn toe side first. .
-Also the wakeboard ropes that strech and are a little shorter are well worth it, you can get alot more air.

Personal preference on which side to learn. Goes for anthing on a board. Shorter ropes to start off but you will not get bigger air. Shorter ropes will bring you in closer and make each side of the wake closer together. So when you get really good you will increase speed(to harden the wake) and a longer rope to increase the width of the wake.

Z32redondo
05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok thanks guys preciate it. What about after I get up on the board and am comforatble riding. How do I go about turning.

81911SC
05-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok thanks guys preciate it. What about after I get up on the board and am comforatble riding. How do I go about turning.
Thats a little harder to explain. lol. Mostly use your legs and shoulders and pull on either side of the handle I think. lol. You will get the feel of turning but it will be easy to turn. Once your going on the outside of the wake, let your knees suck it up. You do a lot of leaning when your turning and when your cutting out. Work on cutting outside the wake and coming back up to the inside of the wake. That will hold you over for awhile. Jumping is pretty hard to explain but ill think of ways to explain it or find a link to do a better job. That should hold you over for awhile though. Any other questions just feel free to ask.:goodjob:

Z32redondo
05-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks I guess I will see what happens later this week. Planning on heading out saturday and probably sunday.

81911SC
05-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Make sure you get some smooth water, it helps a little. Try a cove. In the evenings is when its best when all the boats go in and the water is glass.

ScreaminZetec
05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Start small and work up. I bought a starter board off ebay from an ebay store for like 170 bucks. Ive used it two seasons and bought a hyperlite. Get a comfy jacket. The neopreme ones are completely worth it. Gloves are overrated.

Two big rules:
A. While riding, DO NOT try to turn the board sideways. You can learn to turn it 180 on the water but everyone justs lets the toes down and your in for a hurting.
B. Learn toe side first. Meaning when your riding, your toes are pointed outside. Like when you want to jump, you learn forward so your toes face outward, you lean back in and "pop" the board, basicly the second you hit the wave you push on it quicky and youll fly. I can get 10+ feet of air without a tower. It also takes a while to learn heel side jumps.

Couple things, toe side is when your leaning on your toes, and heal side is when your leaning on your heals. Not sur if thats what you were saying. Kinda hard to understand what you were saying. Heal side is easier to learn as its more natural, Toe side is a bit awkward at first.

Second thing, for wakeboarding you want a ZERO stretch rope for wakeboaring. Get a spectra line, they are a bit pricey but its one of the best things you can do for your riding.

As for turning, if you want to turn on your heal side you pretty much lean back and lift your toes, if you want to turn on your toes side just push down with your toes and lean towards them a bit. Toe side is kinda hard to explain but you'll figure it out. One thing though on toes side keep your hip forward dont get all bent over trying to do toe side.

And lastly for jumping, cut into the wake and right as you get to the top of the wake stand tall. Basically stand up. But do it while staying on edge, do not come off edge or you wont get much air. If you have the right technique you dont need all that much speed to go big.

Ltdnismorace
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I use a hyperlite behind a crownline with a custom tower, it does the job but our lake isn't really big enough to get crazy.