PDA

View Full Version : 91 CRX Coil Over Advice needed..

ageiger518
04-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, I am starting to build an autocross/raod race 91 CRX and am not sure which direction to go in for suspension. ive looked at a few different setup and would like yalls opinion on what is good and what is bad. So far I am considering three different company's ; Tein Super Street Coil Over Set. Tokico Hp or Lumina Coil Over Set, and Megan racing coil over set. does anyone have any links or anything that has pretty good parts?

Let me know what yall think. Any and all advice for thsi is welcome...

Thanks

Andrew

StraightSix
04-30-2007, 07:51 AM
I would strongly consider Koni yellows with a set of Ground Control sleeves. It might not be a true coil over, but the Koni yellows are one of the best shocks and struts on the market. They have great valving for autocross and track events.

I have been told to stay away from Teins. I don't anything about the Megan racing coil overs, and a quick look at thier web site didn't offer much help.

Are you building the car to run in a particular class?

yudalicious
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I would strongly consider Koni yellows with a set of Ground Control sleeves. It might not be a true coil over, but the Koni yellows are one of the best shocks and struts on the market.

Whether you consider it "true" or not, functionally it's the same in every way, and are most likely better than anything else in the price range (a big one at that). Plus that gives you leeway to grow in the future, Koni and service centers can readily rebuild and modify yellows, whatever to fit your demand. If I were you this is exactly what I'd do.

bigdare23
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
here you go and your welcome!

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=4900

remoer
05-27-2007, 12:11 PM
well we can talk cause i'm doing the same type of build for the same thing but i want to go exclusive road racing. you really pay attention to spring rate and a slue of other things i'll list my supension set up in the end.

now the difference between springs, coilovers sleeves and true coilovers is comfort.

a pefect full racing honda road course springs(in my opinion) is 12kgs/F and 10kgs/R spring rates. but lets face it it's really not street wise if you live in the northeast region. so the next step i would go with for street and track is the RS*R racing springs which are 6kgs/F and 4kgs/R. now megan coilovers sleeves are 325lbs/F and 300/R and the orange springs are 275/F & 250/R.

if you ask why i didn't talk about ground control? well.... we're broke mofo and they are very expensive, but very top brand. i just found other brands that give you the same quailty w/a cheaper price. and have a realiable back ground. like Tanabe give the same spring rate upgrade change, for at least $100+ less at the end.

shocks are also important. they're several brands you can get. Koni yellow are the baller and Tokico Illumina are very good, too.

now here's the problem w/alot of the brands being sold everywhere. if you pay attention to spring rates like i do, you will notice that they lopsided. now what this means that the from are Xkgs/lbs and 1/2 of that number in the rear(12kgs/F and 6kgs/R). now many ppl will stated many many reasons for this. reguardless what anyone say my money is on the rates thats being using in time attack, road coursing in the land of JDM. hey if it ain't broken don't fix it. but they're othe variation of this like having 10kgs/F and 12kgs/R.

also have fun properly tuning coilovers sleeves. i won't get into it yet they are a headache but once done correctly you'll have an awesome setup reguarless the shocks.

if you haven't notice i'm like really into supension. my good friend calls me tufo man and when i hear that i know a supension question is coming. lol. i just feel that no matter how much hp you have w/o the proper supension it don't mean shit. prime example when a Honda Fit beats a 350z by 3sec and a 270hp difference on a road course. it balls down to supension.

here's my setup.

BRAKE/SUSPENSION

90 VW Carrabo front rotors (11" big brake upgrade)
Fastbrake caliper brakets
Stainless Steel brake lines
EBC Red Stuff
90 Integra front cailpers
90 Integra rear disc converstion
90 Intgera 15/16 master cylinder
90 Integra brake booster
90 Integra 40/40 proporton valve
90 Integra 23mm front swaybar (stock is 18mm)
97 Integra ITR 22mm rear swaybar(stock 90 Si is 12mm)
Energy Suspension - master suspension kit
Koni yellow dampers
RS*R Racing springs (Spring rate 6kgs/F and 4kgs/R; but have beening thinking if getting Omni true coilovers 12kg/F and 10kg/R)
A-Spec subframe brace for rear swaybar
3-Point front strut tower bar
2-Point rear strut tower bar