PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

Lucky DAWG
04-28-2007, 04:29 PM
a brand or model anyone prefers?
looking to get one

IndianStig
04-28-2007, 05:23 PM
i don't believe in them after a few friends of mine have gotten tickets with them, my uncle constantly gets them with his valentine. me on the other hand have 0 and i drive radarless.

however, i have heard the valentine is awesome, I know how my uncle drives though, even a good detector is not enough.

tony
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I've had the two best, Valentine One and Passport 8500.. the ONLY reason why I like the passport better is because of the laser shifter you can integrate, saved my ass too many times.

But overall although it falses more I like the Valentine One, the ultimate setup would be the V1 with laser shifter.

foety_foe
04-28-2007, 06:13 PM
valentine one is the one to go. dont make the mistake i made and got a cobra piece of shit one for 100 bucks of from ebay. yup the radar detector went off, the cop was right in front of me. 250 dollars later and 3 points on my liscence i wish i would of spent the extra money for the V1.

Lucky DAWG
04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
anybody got a link to this valentine one, and what is the laser shifter? sounds like it helps but how much more is it, etc?

Kyle
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I would say passport. All the reviews I have been reading are good. And everyone I know with one is very happy.

twinj
04-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I would say passport, my brother has one and it performs well. Compared to the cobra he had before. I would not recommend a Cobra to anyone those are the worse.

tony
04-29-2007, 11:00 AM
www.valentineone.com

With the laser shifter the police cannot pick up your speed with laser.. obviously it does not work with radar but here is the benefit:

You can usually pick up radar a mile away before it hits you, I like the valentine one because it gives you the direction that you are being hit whether its in front of you or behind you.. it was always helpful for me on roadtrips to know where the radar is coming from, the passport does not have the direction feature.

The laser shifter.. using a normal detector by the time you are hit with laser you are caught.. but with the shifter the cop cannot get your speed, you slow down to a normal speed, hit a button and they can pick up your speed. The shifter worked wonders for me and was completely stealth. Usually only people who know can see where the shifter was on my front bumper:

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/9905/twog352yh.jpg

The rear bumper is even better.

Benefit
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
just dont speed?

twinj
04-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Is the shifter illegal. It soung like it if you have to put something in your front bumper?

tony
04-29-2007, 02:21 PM
The shifter is very legal

twinj
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
So much does the Valentine usually run?

Lucky DAWG
04-29-2007, 02:34 PM
tony

is the one for 399.99 at the top of the page the one with the laser shifter and all the latest features?

https://store.valentine1.com/store/

and whats the deal on upgrades?
i appreciate all the info you're giving me bro

tony
04-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Valentine One doesn't offer a laser shifter.. the one I used is the ZR3 and the best place to get it is EBay.

The $399. Valentine one is just the radar detector, the upgrade thing is very cool. Every upgrade to their software you can send yours back and get a new one, I cannot remember if the upgrade is free or $40.. but you obviously would not have to pay for a new detector and you stay up to date.

The ZR3 shifter is directly compatible with the Passport 8500, which is the only reason I switched. Once you install the shifter it plugs right into the 8500 and works off of the unit. If you used the ZR3 with the Valentine one you would have two seperate units, but the unit for the ZR3 is not that big at all and easily consealable.