PDA

View Full Version : roll cage guestions

ninabl
04-27-2007, 06:25 PM
is the autopower bolt in cages nhra legal?
here is the link to the cage im looking at
http://www.festivegarage.com/product_info.php?products_id=1396
i will be doing most of my racing in commerce dont know what the new engine/trans will run
but also dont want to spend the money on the cage if it wont pass tech
if any one has a extra tech book (current one ) they would pass on i would be happy to buy it from you so i dont have to drive to commerce to get it

thanks for the help

HiPSI
04-27-2007, 11:20 PM
going to depend on what kind of times your car is capable of. i believe NHRA has different cage specs for different ET/MPH classes.

FAHHQUE700
04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
6pt or 8pt roll bar is good up to 10.00's & Slower. 9.99 and faster the vehicle must utilized a 10pt NHRA Certified roll cage. Technicly, NHRA rules state that the rear down tubes from the main hoop must be fully welded. They usually don't give too much trouble about this, but the main hoop's cross bar MUST be welded. Bolting to the floor is legal if the plates are 6" X 6" and 4-Grade 8 or better bolts/nuts are used per plate. A 6pt or 9pt roll bar does not have to be certified.

I would steer clear of Autopower, they use cheap material (thin in some cases) and I've seen 3 or 4 welds crack because the welder did not burn-in the weld correctly. It's about safety, so this area does not need to be skimped out on...

And you can order the NHRA Rule book online.... http://store.nhra.com/product.asp?0=230&1=231&3=54

ninabl
04-28-2007, 12:20 PM
is there another company that makes a bolt in style cage similar to that?
i just dont have access to a welder right now and dont have the money to pay some one to do it
nick

d16_turbo
04-28-2007, 02:29 PM
dont the cages have to be tig welded

ninabl
04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
that is what im trying to figure out

d16_turbo
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
i think you can mig weld the plates to the floor but you have to tig weld everything else

ninabl
04-28-2007, 05:54 PM
i e-mailed them and they said it wasnot nhra legal and i just ordered that rule book
thanks for the link
i looked and looked and couldnt find it any where
thanks

FAHHQUE700
04-28-2007, 07:03 PM
First off there is a difference... a 6pt or 8pt is a roll bar & 10pt+ is a cage. The roll bar can be MIG welded only if it is mild steel, if it is chromeoly it must be TIG welded. The welds can NOT have excessive splatter, the welds can NOT be welded on top of a previous weld, and the welds can NOT be ground down. The plates DO NOT have to be welded to the floor. They CAN be bolted... Like I stated before, until you are running 9.99 seconds or faster the roll bar does NOT have to be certified.

I can build a cage, but I have to finish the one I'm building now. year/model/make? And where are you located? I can do the 8pt, but they must be welded to subframes. But 8pt is not necessary in the roll bar. So, I would recomend the 6pt because you're trying to save a little money. I can TIG weld everything, but it's going to cost more because 4130 Chromeoly cost more and the gaps between each tube has to be a very tight fitment.

FAHHQUE700
04-28-2007, 07:17 PM
To do the 8pt correctly the subframe will have to be modified to extrude into the vehicles cabin where the down tube will connect from either the main hoop leg, the main hoop's crossbar, or even place at the 90 degree point where the crossbar ajoins to the main hoop.

ninabl
04-28-2007, 09:16 PM
i need whatever it takes to get me legal to 9.99
87 chevy camaro
lawrenceville
give me a price