PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Oil Question

Nismo
04-23-2007, 11:57 PM
I filled up my 4stoke dirt bike about 3 weeks ago with some full synth motorcycle race oil and when I was checking it earlier today I noticed its really really low, like it doesnt even touch teh dipstick. My question is there some special type of oil I need to get or can I just get regular 10W30 or do I need motorcycle oil. Thanks!

GIXXERDK
04-24-2007, 12:21 AM
I would only use car oil if I was leaking and had to go home. Other than that use motorcycle oil.

Infinite
04-24-2007, 12:27 AM
working at a yamaha/suzuki/kawasaki dealer i can tell you that for the most part, the oils other than silkolene, motul, and the castrol superbike stuff are pretty much generic oil

Nismo
04-24-2007, 12:29 AM
It was in a gray bottle and was made in switzerland if I remember correctly. Is there any specific type of motorcycle oil I need for it?

sleepys4
04-24-2007, 01:07 AM
You can you use mobile 1 fully syn. it works just fine, I use it in all my race bikes. 10w 30 or 5w 30.

Infinite
04-24-2007, 08:48 AM
grey bottle = motul of some sort
as long as the oil is detergent free you can use it

David88vert
04-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Use motorcycle specific oil when possible. A lot of the car oils have an additional additive that's not good for wet clutches. Mobil 1 full synthetic does not have the additive, I know.

jmmx258
04-24-2007, 06:46 PM
grey bottle = motul of some sort
as long as the oil is detergent free you can use it

False. Being a Pro Am rider who rode for a KTM Dealer a grey bottle doesn't signify motul

Now, motul is a good oil. Its not motul .....made in switzerland....its Motorex.

However homie, I highly doubt thats your problem. Sounds like you've got a leak some where. Bad seal maybe? Check around your shifter, and your countershaft.

What kind of bike is it exactly? If its a yamaha like a YZF look under the tank for a frame crack. (if its pre 2003)

If infact you dont have any leaking seals or a broken frame, or a leak somewhere, Pull the top end off, throw new rings on it, and valve seals. How much time is on the motor? 4 strokes run for almost ever. But if you make a year of riding on it, put new piston and rings in it, along with the valve seals, also a timing chain, and probably new valve springs and keepers

Me personally, In my 4 stroke, I always always always ran Yamalube, Motul, or Motorex. Won't run anything else.

In my 2 strokes, I always ran Gear Saver in the trans, and Klotz 32:1 in the gas.

I keep thinkin of more an dmore shit to add

If its a honda, CRF make sure your motor oil isn't leaking into the trans side of your bottom end. Or vice versa. Need more input on what kind of bike this is for a better answer man.

If help is needed, i'm more than willing to lend a hand to save ya shop labor rates. I can do a YZf top in in half an hour lol

Nismo
04-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Its an xtreme 107cc pit bike. Its a straight knockoff of the Honda 50 but with a 107cc engine. Its from 2003, I bought it from some rednecks up in North georgia that used to run Airplane fuel through it though, and it shoots alot of smokeout the back also when reving it up in neutral. I got some Castrol Gtx for high mileage engines for it. Is that bad? Yea I believe it was Motorex the oil in it now. My friend said it was like 9 dollars a bottle and he runs it in his r6.

jmmx258
04-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Its an xtreme 107cc pit bike. Its a straight knockoff of the Honda 50 but with a 107cc engine. Its from 2003, I bought it from some rednecks up in North georgia that used to run Airplane fuel through it though, and it shoots alot of smokeout the back also when reving it up in neutral. I got some Castrol Gtx for high mileage engines for it. Is that bad? Yea I believe it was Motorex the oil in it now. My friend said it was like 9 dollars a bottle and he runs it in his r6.
Motorex is a fantastic oil. It is rather costly for sure. Is it a clutched motor? Or still an auto? Only a moron would run airplane fuel in that to think they're getting somewhere. If you run any kind of fuel, airplane, alcohol, methanol, and the likes your pissing in the wind unless your drag racing.

Fuels like that are meant for wide open motors. Or very little of letting off the gas.

Your on a pit bike. On and off the gas, all the time.

I had a Pitster back home, my dad still has it actually. Along with an SDG.

That motor is about roached guaranteed. Deffinetely freshen it up just run 93 octane fuel in it. If you wanna run good gas in it, run C12 or w/e the four stroke gas they sell. I can't remember what it is exactly, b/c I ran torco fuels.

Nismo
04-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Its a 4 speed manual with a clutch. Ive started running 93 octane through it lately.

jmmx258
04-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Stick with the 93 at least. Dont put any additives in it for oil or gas. Unless you substitute 1/4 cup of lucas oil additive for 1/4 cup of oil (it wont hurt the clutch i did it all the time in my race bike)

Freshen it up, piston, rings, valve seals, and timing chain. Have the valves checked they may be burning off from the idiots running that fuel in it.

A VERY simple thing however. Call the manufacturer, and find out what the stock jetting specs are. They HAD to up the jet size in that for the fuel. If they didn't, that motor is for sure burnt up.

Do the jetting check before anything