PDA

View Full Version : Southern Nationals or Import Showdown-this Sunday???

BLK JDM
04-23-2007, 12:06 AM
I've been to almost all the Import Showdowns for the last 2-3yrs. But I've never been to Southern Nationals(Big Boy Pro Dragsters i.e John Force, Ashley Force, Doug Calitta, Justin Humphreys, Matt Scranton).I love all kinds of drag racing-imports, domestics, bikes, 4 wheelers.

It's just kind of a tough decision. Showdown is always fun b/c I get to see old friends and the progression of a lot of cars that I follow personally or online. My car won't be done til probably late this season or early next. Plus I get to see a lot of my boys whoop ass(ISP bitches).

Southern Nationals is on a whole other level. I've never been but I guarantee Commerce doesn't look or feel the same when the big boys are there. I mean we got 14000hp cars running 4s in the 1/4!! I've never seen it in person and I think it's time.

Well that's about it for my rant. I'm leaning towards Southern Nats but let's discuss.

AnthonyF
04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
i have been since i was about 6-7 till i was 13. we had 2nd row section A on the starting line and it was amazing. i won't be attending this year. going to Showdown. it is a blast and it is fun going into the pits, hearing them start up, watching everyone cover their ears and wipe their eyes b/c the nitro methane burns ur eyes....and smells so sweet...ahh the good 'ol days.

the bikes is getting more interesting. it as all crotch rockets, now Harley's have stepped up their game and are winning a lot of races. they came back into NHRA but werent fast enough for the Honda/Suzuki's

DaX
04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
320 mph traps > 100 mph traps

Seriously, if you've never seen top fuel run, you need to go. When something is so loud and powerful your vision shakes, it dwarfs all other types of racing.

BLK JDM
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Damn I can't decide!!!

THEONE
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
southern nats are awesome. i like to go before the finals you see way more action i think it actually starts on a thursday. i love the way the alchol from the funnycars make my eyes water and when they fly down the strip its like a freakin earth quake and i love it ,i love it,i love it. you should go. it will be many,many years before you see any imports doing this running 4's and 5's theses funny cars make 650-750 per cyl now X that by 8..awesome

HiPSI
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Damn I can't decide!!!

it's unbelievable if you've never been. it's like an earthquake every time the top fuel or funnycars take off down the strip.

why not hit up nationals on saturday and IS on sunday? :)

SPOOLIN
04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
just go thursday friday and saturday lol its a 4 day long event!!!! im sure that would be enough. I was going to go but i just didnt feel like forking 50$ for a ticket. could still go , never know.

THEONE
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
its worth the money, i think its 90 for all 4 days and 40 or 50 on sunday but if you want to see the most action go before sunday.if i can scrape up the money i will go but im poor.so looks like im going to miss this year :(
wait i could do like a few friends of mine did a couple years back the parked in the far field and walked right in no ticket i was pissed but they got in for free. assholes.

allen8603
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
i would rather race then watch, but your car isnt done so i say. go to the southern nats. saturday and import showdown sunday.
ill be at import showdown saturday and sunday.

BLK JDM
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm off this weekend but I don't want to go by myself. I have a friend that wants to go but he works Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night so Sunday would be best for him.

SPOOLIN
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
saturday is the best day, qualifying is where its at. more action.

On_Her_Face
04-23-2007, 10:26 PM
go friday night, its the \"night of fire\".. its also 2 rounds of qualifying!.. ive been every year with my dad since i can remember. last year i went with the vp of coke\'s son, so we got to stand inbetween two t/f dragsters take off, it was orgasmic, but in the regular stands half track is where its at. also make sure to get behind a dragster in the pits to get the nitro meth in ur eyes, nose, and throat atleast once!

sleepys4
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
go friday night, its the \"night of fire\".. its also 2 rounds of qualifying!.. ive been every year with my dad since i can remember. last year i went with the vp of coke\'s son, so we got to stand inbetween two t/f dragsters take off, it was orgasmic, but in the regular stands half track is where its at. also make sure to get behind a dragster in the pits to get the nitro meth in ur eyes, nose, and throat atleast once!

I C U LIKE DEF!

THEONE
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM

ACTUALLY THE NIGHT OF FIRE IS IN THE LAST WEEKEND OF JUNE EVERY YEAR,I GO EVERY YEAR.

On_Her_Face
04-24-2007, 12:38 PM
ACTUALLY THE NIGHT OF FIRE IS IN THE LAST WEEKEND OF JUNE EVERY YEAR,I GO EVERY YEAR.

hmm night of fire is any night during the qualifying, or racing at ANY nhra meet :D

Seymour222
04-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Participation>Observation for me.

Tracy
04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Top Fuel is CRAZY! Bring your ear plugs. The first time Dan and I went we were walking up toward the bleachers and all of a sudden the cars took off. I felt it rumble through my whole body and we were far enough AWAY TO WHERE I COULDN'T SEE THE CARS YET (whoops caps). I love it. But then again hanging with your peeps is fun, too :)

BLK JDM
04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Participation>Observation for me.

of course but remember my car is not finished yet so it'll be observation for either one.

Recon561
04-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I will be there saturday. Theres nothing like running from the green fumes when they fire the horsepower buckets off. Or the fact of nearly blowing your ear drums when they past by at half track.

DieselNuts
04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll be at the southern nats. tom. Seriously, if you have never been, you must go at least once. Its money well spent just for the experience. You know when you typically go to the dragstrip, you can hear the cars when your walking around in the parking lot? Well, at the southern nats, you can FEEL them go down the strip from the parking lot. You can actually hear them from the gas station off of hwy 85.... 8000hp>500hp... end of story.

Bruce Leroy
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
I went to the southern nats yesterday. It was crazy. The cars were SOOOOOO loud, and you could feel them passing by. I would rather see street cars racing tho, So I'll be at sliver dollar tomorrow.

Codeman1407
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
If you've never been to the southern nats, then definatly go... it's a great experience like all the other have said... nitro metane in your eyes, nose, and throat, burning... 4.3 sec 330 mph passes... you gotta see it atleast once.

but it's saturday night so hopefully you went to NHRA.

THEONE
04-28-2007, 09:24 PM
i caught todays runs on espn2 i saw john force is going to be facing his daughter in the finals tommorow that is going to be a historic event in drag racing history so im going to be there!!! me and my little man will be there from 11 til the end!!!

2turbo4u
04-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I think you have that wrong sir, tommorrow(today) is the final day of competiton which starts with bracket that brakes down to the final. So John isn't in the finals yet!

THEONE
04-29-2007, 07:55 AM
ahh whatever,we call sunday the finals because thats when they are held the finals are a 7:00 anyway still gonna be cool to see father and daughter goin against eachother

PSINXS
04-29-2007, 02:20 PM
top fuel ftw. you can hear them idle from the grass parking lot like you're standing right next to it.

THEONE
04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
yup,john force got beat by his daughter.around the 8th mile mark he smoked the tires and was bumped out. it was awesome thats the only reason i went,and of course john was all choked up when they interviewed him. good racing to damn hot and my son was tired so i left. i did get in free a cop gave me to passes and i got a free redneck reble hat,hahaha