PDA

View Full Version : 240 auto trans problem

fastasscrx
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I have a 91' 240SX with a auto trans. I just put another tranny in it, and this one is doing the same as the old one. The first trans had 1st and reverse and wouldnt shift, SO I bought another trans and put it in and now the same thing. Someone told me that it was the speed sensor, so I got a new sensor($100...whew). Still nothing happened. I have 1st and reverse, But it will not shift, it acts like it wants to shift but it stays in 1st. When I bought the car the guy had already put the first trans in it, and he had some wires wired up into some other wires that go into a clip beside the fuse box under the hood. I have NO idea, if these wires are correct or if it is another issue. But I know it isnt very often that 2 trans are doing the same thing. Here is a pic of the wires..... any suggestions would be helpful, thanx.....

AnTi-PooN
04-23-2007, 06:58 AM
ecu maybe

Z U L8R
04-23-2007, 07:11 AM
^ --- i also suggest the possibility of the computer being the culprit. it's hard to make out the colors in the picture, but that looks like the speed sensor wires. the yellow/green stripe is the signal to the ecu & speedo guage

fastasscrx
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
^ --- i also suggest the possibility of the computer being the culprit. it's hard to make out the colors in the picture, but that looks like the speed sensor wires. the yellow/green stripe is the signal to the ecu & speedo guage

are they connected to the right wires??

Z U L8R
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
i'm not sure because i've never worked on an automatic 240, unless they were A) converting to manual, or b) doing a turbo swap that of course is a manual. i'll see if i can pull the wiring schematic tomorrow at work, and see if they change to red and white, but i wanna say no, because whenever you're wiring in an safc or a dash plug, the speed signal is still yellow with a green stripe, not red (that's on a manual though). those wires may end up going to the cruise control solenoid though, you can check by testing for continuity from that point to the cruise control actuator, and or the ecu, to see if those wires are even anything to do with this issue at all. i can't help you unless you help me lol. i need you to check and see where those wires go, i will say however what kind of trans fluid are you using in these transmissions, and when you swapped the trannies did you swap the torque converters also?

fastasscrx
04-24-2007, 06:49 AM
yea, swapped everything. I am going to check my wires today. I will get some more pics too. another thing is that I dont have cruise.

Z U L8R
04-24-2007, 06:58 AM
aiight, see what you can find out, and post it up

fastasscrx
04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
OK, found the problem! Wires were FUBAR'd. someone had cut the wires and had them taped up and hid in the wire grommet. I went to pulling wires and clips and undoing tape and grommets until I found what went where................ She is up and running, now..............Thanks for the input though............

Z U L8R
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
good job =]