PDA

View Full Version : Full Throttle Shift.

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 11:38 AM
How exactly does it work? Does it completely shut your car down? Or just stop spark while the rest keeps running?

twinj
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Are you talking about powershifting(racing)?

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Talkin about shifting and never lifting. As in chipped ECU hit the clutch and it shuts it down while your shifting.

twinj
04-22-2007, 11:54 AM
IDK Know about the spark or anything but i know if you do it wrong. Kiss you tranny good bye. Very hard Technique i still want to learn.

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 11:55 AM
IDK Know about the spark or anything but i know if you do it wrong. Kiss you tranny good bye. Very hard Technique i still want to learn.
I can some what do it as it. But I'm talking about how they chip the ECU so there is no doing it wrong. It kills the RPM's for a split second while never letting off the gas.

twinj
04-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't that mess up the engine if you think about it. All of the internals are still in motion but no spark. Not a Guru or anything ain't that somewhere near the lines of detonation or a really bad misfire.

d16_turbo
04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.hondata.com/featuresshift.html

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't that mess up the engine if you think about it. All of the internals are still in motion but no spark. Not a Guru or anything ain't that somewhere near the lines of detonation or a really bad misfire.
Somewhat. If you think about it though. Your on the clutch, therefore your car rolling is not turning the engine and its losing RPM's (like its shutting down) Having said that, then turning your car off in general would be bad for your motor too.

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
http://www.hondata.com/featuresshift.html
Thats in a sense what I was looking for. Was it just a button to be hooked up and mounted to your clutch that shuts the engine down.

More so what I was looking to find out was could I do it w/out a chipped ECU. Unless I'm missing something. It's something you can do with out the ECU being chipped. WOuldn't work AS efficient..but would work none the less.

With the time it would take to shift, the motor wouldn't even have enough time to shut completley down before you'd be off the clutch, it would be running again, and be revving back up before your clutch is completely engaged. Not really adding strain to the transmission or motor.

corey30349
04-22-2007, 01:31 PM
i seen someone do that in a 2000 civic si on the interstate no liftin but we was movin i heard u can powershift like dat sometimes but not good to do all the time like my friend he said he jus do it like when he needs to but then he found out if he does it wrong it will fuck up the flywheel

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 01:52 PM
i seen someone do that in a 2000 civic si on the interstate no liftin but we was movin i heard u can powershift like dat sometimes but not good to do all the time like my friend he said he jus do it like when he needs to but then he found out if he does it wrong it will fuck up the flywheel
If he thinks he NEEDS to do it on the highway, he's an idiot. I just wanna do it b/c it would be fun to have.

I can do it w/out it shutting down, but I can't stay completely in the throttle. I gotta roll off about half way which works fine, but I'm sure it would be better to be able to stay WFO.

speedminded
04-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Thats in a sense what I was looking for. Was it just a button to be hooked up and mounted to your clutch that shuts the engine down.

More so what I was looking to find out was could I do it w/out a chipped ECU. Unless I'm missing something. It's something you can do with out the ECU being chipped. WOuldn't work AS efficient..but would work none the less.

With the time it would take to shift, the motor wouldn't even have enough time to shut completley down before you'd be off the clutch, it would be running again, and be revving back up before your clutch is completely engaged. Not really adding strain to the transmission or motor."no lift shift" is normally an ignition kill. If i'm not mistaken you can do it with Crome...i know you can setup multi-stage launch control & rev limiters so i'm sure an ignition kill wired to a switch on the clutch would be relatively simple.

...BUT you don't need it and won't ever need it. You can build that B16 up to Toda spec for $12,000 and it still won't ever be needed. Your money could be spent on literaly 100,000 other things...like a quality light weight flywheel, clutch & pressure plate, LSD, head work, quality header, fuel rail & pressure regulator w/ tuning, etc.

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 02:03 PM
"no lift shift" is normally an ignition kill. If i'm not mistaken you can do it with Crome...i know you can setup multi-stage launch control & rev limiters so i'm sure an ignition kill wired to a switch on the clutch would be relatively simple.

...BUT you don't need it and won't ever need it. You can build that B16 up to Toda spec for $12,000 and it still won't ever be needed. Your money could be spent on literaly 100,000 other things...like a quality light weight flywheel, clutch & pressure plate, LSD, head work, quality header, fuel rail & pressure regulator w/ tuning, etc.
I know I know lol. I just think it'd be fun to be able to do it. Hell I know I could do it for a 10 dollar button from the parts store. So I mean. It's not like i'll be breaking the bank ya know?

Plus..if it doesnt work out, i'll take the button back lol

speedminded
04-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I know I know lol. I just think it'd be fun to be able to do it. Hell I know I could do it for a 10 dollar button from the parts store. So I mean. It's not like i'll be breaking the bank ya know?

Plus..if it doesnt work out, i'll take the button back lolWhat is a "button" going to do?

The clutch will have to have a switch on it, similiar to a starter kill switch, except wired to the ignition to temporary kill the power from the distributor to the sparkplugs...any idea what happens if you don't have it perfectly timed? It might need to be 1/10 to 1/100 to 1/1000 of a second...what happens to a piston and rod if there isn't an explosion forcing it back down when you're running WOT or what if it cuts back on when the piston is coming back up?

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
No matter when it comes back on, its still going to fire regularly. Nothing can change that other than timing. Engines are one big rotational mass. They fire at the same time, everytime.

The button i'm meaning would be made to be on a plate mounted where the clutch would hit it. You can't time them in anyway. When you shift is when you shift. If you had to change your shifting for this to work, then it would be less effecient on the track.

d16_turbo
04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
i would just get hondata s300

jmmx258
04-22-2007, 02:49 PM
i would just get hondata s300
Easy to say. Easy to do as well..if you have the money.

Maniaç
04-22-2007, 04:42 PM
i know how to do it. but have never done it on my WRX. to dangerous, i might break my tranny.

d16_turbo
04-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Easy to say. Easy to do as well..if you have the money.

thats the only problem

Da_unknown
04-22-2007, 05:53 PM
i have done it a few times... and if u wanna do it with out a problem get hondata like D16 turbo said. i have done it in my buddies rsx with hondata and that shit hits very nicely..

jmmx258
04-23-2007, 07:49 AM
i know how to do it. but have never done it on my WRX. to dangerous, i might break my tranny.

Lol yeah. You should think about a honduhh! lol

Maniaç
04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Lol yeah. You should think about a honduhh! lol

HELL NO! cause unlike yall, i have TQ! :lmfao:right now with the little mods i have i should be @ 280awtq!
what do you have? L0L!

RUSH
04-23-2007, 11:41 AM
HELL NO! cause unlike yall, i have TQ! :lmfao:right now with the little mods i have i should be @ 280awtq!
what do you have? L0L!

lol at the 280awtq.....WOW!

I never even let off the gas in my car through the 1/4...haha

scttydb411
04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
w/ hondata, crome, etc it sets a temporary lower rev limit based on a fuel cut if the input (clutch switch is activated by pressing the clutch). if it sees that then it lowers the rev limit to a preset amount.

say your regular limit is at 8500rpm (that's typically fuel cut like on a stock ecu unless you're using something else or msd which cuts ignition-hence fireballs out the exhaust). w/ the fts you can set it to cut at 6k rpm so that when you step on the clutch your revs will never go above 6k no matter how deep on the gas you are.

if you can shift quick enough you can flat shift at the track, but you will bounce off the normal rev limiter if you can't do it fast enough or risk grinding into gear if you hand and foot aren't timed well.

Maniaç
04-23-2007, 01:33 PM
lol at the 280awtq.....WOW!

I never even let off the gas in my car through the 1/4...haha

haha, what car do you drive?

WickedIXMR
04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Let me drive your car and ill show you how to do it.

RUSH
04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
haha, what car do you drive?

Well I drive a montero Daily, and I dont have to let off the gas through shifts with it either.

The car I was refering to is one of them redneck yoder's and its only an auto!

Maniaç
04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Well I drive a montero Daily, and I dont have to let off the gas through shifts with it either.

The car I was refering to is one of them redneck yoder's and its only an auto!

haha!! :lmfao:

RUSH
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
haha!! :lmfao:

You better not be laughing at my montero!!!!!

Maniaç
04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
You better not be laughing at my montero!!!!!

:D i was.

RUSH
04-23-2007, 02:14 PM
:D i was.

name a place and time, I have all wheel dig to, big guy!

No but really, I should be sitting in the 6th or 7th spot on this site in the fastest 1/4 mile times thread! Not to bad for a hicktown boy...huh?

Maniaç
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
name a place and time, I have all wheel dig to, big guy!

No but really, I should be sitting in the 6th or 7th spot on this site in the fastest 1/4 mile times thread! Not to bad for a hicktown boy...huh?

haha o rly?
damn.. then this site must be full of slow ass motherfuckers! haha!

RUSH
04-23-2007, 02:21 PM
haha o rly?
damn.. then this site must be full of slow ass motherfuckers! haha!

fo sho!

jmmx258
04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
w/ hondata, crome, etc it sets a temporary lower rev limit based on a fuel cut if the input (clutch switch is activated by pressing the clutch). if it sees that then it lowers the rev limit to a preset amount.

say your regular limit is at 8500rpm (that's typically fuel cut like on a stock ecu unless you're using something else or msd which cuts ignition-hence fireballs out the exhaust). w/ the fts you can set it to cut at 6k rpm so that when you step on the clutch your revs will never go above 6k no matter how deep on the gas you are.

if you can shift quick enough you can flat shift at the track, but you will bounce off the normal rev limiter if you can't do it fast enough or risk grinding into gear if you hand and foot aren't timed well.
I need to find out my rev limiter. I have my shif light set at 8500 right now..and it never skips a beat when I shift there or just past it.