PDA

View Full Version : serious question for some honda tech's

blackshine007
04-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Is all Civic DX's 5 speed supposed to be painfully slow?

Ok, The car is a '96 Civic DX 5 speed. It has almost 186k on what I believe is the original engine. Timing belt was changed a month ago, so the customer states. Compression average is 175 psi with new spark plugs, wires and disty cap & rotor button. I'm asking this because this vehicle came into my shop today. One of the other tech's had worked on the car before. The lady had came back because it was stalling when it warmed up. Upon acceleration, from idle to almost 2500 rpm, the motor feels like it just barried itself in a ditch. After that, it accelerates just fine. With my scanner, there's no codes, fuel trim stays within -18 total under partial load. If I'm missing some more info here, please don't be shy to ask me, but is it possible with those readings and symthoms, is it possible for the timing to be 1 tooth off? Or is there another problem with this? Or is it normal?

Five*Star*
04-21-2007, 01:26 AM
If the timing is off it will have a low and rough idle, AND it should be throwing a random misfire code. My guess is to ask if the cat has ever been changed, to her knowledge, and look into it possibly clogging with debris and then maybe unblocking and running good again. IIRC the dx has the manifold cat right? Pull the manifold off and check the cat. Also, check the ignition timing, or just advance the timing and take it for a quick drive to see how she runs then.

Michael

blackshine007
04-21-2007, 06:52 PM
It's funny that I couldn't find out what's wrong with the car, so I let it go. It comes back on the tow truck today. Not to my surprise, it just don't start any more. The lady just bought herself a brand new '07 Civic LX coupe. She wants to sell it now. My dumbass store manager was trying to convince her that keeping the car would be a good idea. I don't think so. If I ask her, would there be any takers? the outside is in real good condition. If so, PM me