PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an Air Compressor for Home Car Work.

Sayajin
04-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey guys.

I need a little assistance.

I am in the process of trying to purchase an Air compressor for me to run at home. The primary purpose of the compressor would be to run air tools off of so that I can work on my car while at home. I also need it to be able to run sanders and paint equipment and such.

I need it to be a non oil, bottom drain, standard outlet size, compressor.

The only issue is, I dont know what specs I need. I mean how many psi, how many gallons, how many horses, what CFM ect.

I want to make sure that I get one that is capable of actually working on my car without straining itself, however I also dont want to get one that is significantly more powerful than what I need. I dont want to get an 80gallon compressor when I only need a 15 gallon one. I want to get one that is ideal for my purposes and that can be stored in my garage for when I need to work on my car. I am trying to get the most value for my money without spending a stupid amount of cash on it.

So as I am SURE some of you guys already have compressors at home for the same purpose, maybe you can help me on what specs I need?

I went to the Home Depot this afternoon to buy the damn thing, and the salesman there had NO idea. lol.

Thanks a lot guys. I really need to buy this thing tomorrow morning as I have some work I need to do on my baby.

-Sayajin

Bishop
04-20-2007, 06:13 AM
look at your tools. Find the one that use the highest cfm (probably your spray gun). Then get a compressor that can handle that. Gallon size isn't your main concern, cfm is.

Ex. Say your spray gun uses 11cfm at 40psi. Get a compressor that can put out 11cfm at 40psi.

jmmx258
04-20-2007, 07:08 PM
look at your tools. Find the one that use the highest cfm (probably your spray gun). Then get a compressor that can handle that. Gallon size isn't your main concern, cfm is.

Ex. Say your spray gun uses 11cfm at 40psi. Get a compressor that can put out 11cfm at 40psi.
Deffinetely not the spray gun. 1/2 inch impact, D/A sanders need quite a bit of pressure to get them going. Spray guns are all regulator fed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90234

That'd probably work nicely. Just for home repair and what not.

drmcivicsi
04-20-2007, 11:08 PM
2 stange if u want to run sanders and paint stuff

Ltdnismorace
04-21-2007, 01:11 AM
agree with several above, gallon size will just dictate how often the compressor actually turns on so if you're ok with it running constantly gallon size shouldn't matter.

Bishop
04-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Deffinetely not the spray gun. 1/2 inch impact, D/A sanders need quite a bit of pressure to get them going. Spray guns are all regulator fed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90234

That'd probably work nicely. Just for home repair and what not.
yeah they spray gun has a regulator on it sometimes. Which you will usually set at 40psi (depending on gun). I know some of mine require around 11cfm at 40psi. Read the manuals on your tools and they will tell you how much cfm is required at a certain psi.

Bishop
04-21-2007, 08:17 AM
that one you gave a link to, i wouldnt suggest it. You wouldnt be able to run your tools effeciantly or at all. If you aren't looking to spend much you may want to look at this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93271

probably going to be your best bang for your buck.

but be aware of harbor freight tools. Some of there motors have been none to crap out.