PDA

View Full Version : Facebook group (gas protest)

Eurostunna07
04-19-2007, 05:56 PM
In April 1997, there was a "gas out" that was conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.
Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

~~~NOW~~~
It's time to put our foot down, once again!!!

(OPTION 1):
On May 15th 2007, all myspace & facebook members are to not go to the gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places. There are 72,110,073 (approx.) members currently on the network, and the average car takes about 20 to 30 dollars to fill up. If all myspace & facebook members did not go to the pump on the 15th it would take $2,163,302,190.00 (approx.) out of the oil company's pockets for just one day.

(OPTION 2):
And, if you don't like the thought of protesting ALL gas for just ONE DAY, there is ANOTHER WAY to help in our protest to lower gas prices.
Here is the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. So, we need as many people possible to participate!!!

RandomGuy
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
thats a dumb ass idea

bc not only are only a few ppl participating in that shit, so what they don't get gas one day, their usage will still be the same, that just means all the people who were going to get gas on the protest day will now get it the next day or afterwards, IN ADDITION to the ppl who weren't involved with the protest lol wtf it reaches equilibrium thats a dumb ass idea... you're actin like the companies live day by day paycheck to paycheck haha

dingo7
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
if it was only that easy.

BuBBa DRiFT
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
good idea, but it would have to be like a week straight

CopyRight
04-19-2007, 06:38 PM
doesn't work and it's stupid idea.

this has been tried so many f'in times that it's really odd how people who came up with this idea or support this idea knows how it does not work.

Okay, so let's say you dont buy gas on one specific day....say May 15th....well, people will buy gas on May 14th or May 16th....so how exactly did you hurt major oil manufacturers? you didnt. Boycotting certain oil manufacturers? ha. Remeber the Exxon oil spill? well, millions of people boycotted them until they cleaned up their mess...well, for the million who did boycott, there were millions who still purchased, so it wasn't a big deal.

You want to make a difference? send a hit contract out on Hugo Chavez...carpet bomb all of the middle east...because they all hate us and could care less on how much we pay for oil....

if Iran continues to keep pushing everyones buttons, gas will goto $5 a gallon if not more....and do you think when that time comes around, boycotting gas stations will do anything? nope....

CopyRight
04-19-2007, 06:41 PM
good idea, but it would have to be like a week straight

no, because then there would be a huge spike in everyone buying gas the following week, causing gas stations to run out of fuel until the tankers come and refill them. Anytime there is a gas shortage, it's because the media blows things out of porportion and stupid people start filling up their tanks and a bunch of containers, which causes more stupidity and people line up at gas stations

Jecht
04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
It would only work if nobody drives for the entire day. lol

Lizbiz101
04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna do it....it wouldn't be any different for me. It's not like I get gas every day. Not getting gas one day won't be that hard. I don't see a point arguing if it's a good idea or not, lots of people are going to do it, can't change everyone's mind. I want to see what happens, hopefully there will be some kind of difference.

preferredduck
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
there will be a surge the day after the stoppage. 3-4 days with no sales would screw them up, then you would still have the surge. either way they will make the money back. supply and demand. new cleaner fuels are the way to go. like maybe sugar ethanol. it's cleaner than the corn based to make and use. brazil uses it and no problems. the us likes corn b/c it can be grown here. though it's pollution effect in processing it is worse than driving now. last i checked. don't drive as much would work as well. the people of this country need to make the change. not our gov't. they profit off of the oil and the people.

preferredduck
04-19-2007, 07:24 PM
no, because then there would be a huge spike in everyone buying gas the following week, causing gas stations to run out of fuel until the tankers come and refill them. Anytime there is a gas shortage, it's because the media blows things out of porportion and stupid people start filling up their tanks and a bunch of containers, which causes more stupidity and people line up at gas stations

remember the hurricanes. same situation. everybody paniced and we still paid for it. +1

preferredduck
04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
doesn't work and it's stupid idea.

this has been tried so many f'in times that it's really odd how people who came up with this idea or support this idea knows how it does not work.

Okay, so let's say you dont buy gas on one specific day....say May 15th....well, people will buy gas on May 14th or May 16th....so how exactly did you hurt major oil manufacturers? you didnt. Boycotting certain oil manufacturers? ha. Remeber the Exxon oil spill? well, millions of people boycotted them until they cleaned up their mess...well, for the million who did boycott, there were millions who still purchased, so it wasn't a big deal.

You want to make a difference? send a hit contract out on Hugo Chavez...carpet bomb all of the middle east...because they all hate us and could care less on how much we pay for oil....

if Iran continues to keep pushing everyones buttons, gas will goto $5 a gallon if not more....and do you think when that time comes around, boycotting gas stations will do anything? nope....

middle east controls gas. and so does south america :goodjob: another thing. why do so many middle easterns own gas stations. think about it people!!!

Eurostunna07
04-19-2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2325424884

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2328593267

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2333206283

VooDooXII
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
I get gas at QuikTrip anyway...and diesel at Phillips 66.

CopyRight
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
looks like preferredduck knows what is going on! reps to you

Lucky DAWG
04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
thats a dumb ass idea

bc not only are only a few ppl participating in that shit, so what they don't get gas one day, their usage will still be the same, that just means all the people who were going to get gas on the protest day will now get it the next day or afterwards, IN ADDITION to the ppl who weren't involved with the protest lol wtf it reaches equilibrium thats a dumb ass idea... you're actin like the companies live day by day paycheck to paycheck haha

yea thats exactly what i was thinking haha
people would have to NOT drive for an extended period of time for it to have an effect.

the gas isn't going anywhere by you not buying it. its just staying in the reserve tank until you decide to buy it the next day lol.

2 billion dollars my ass :lmfao:

Total_Blender
04-20-2007, 05:31 AM
The bit about not buying gas at Exxon and Mobil doesn't really apply to us. The biggest providers around here are Ouiktrip, Chevron, and BP. Exxon and Mobil are big up North and probably out West too.

The gas companies have us by the balls, if we go without gas one day, we will eventually have to but gas the next. The worst thing these "group boycotts" could do is cause consumer panic, which actually plays right into the hands of the oil companies. Untill the demand for gas changes they will get our money no matter what.

What people need to do is reduce oil consumption and the demand for gas. If everyone would buy smaller cars and stop buying those godawful SUV's it would really help. Its not just the houswives with the hummers, people who buy big trucks are also to blame. Buying a truck when you don't need one, buying a bigger truck than is needed the type of work you do, etc.

And finally, the big thing about fuel consumption is that people refuse to carpool or share rides. People who don't own cars are disenfranchised, and though of as bums and losers. when people seek to share rides it is thought that something is wrong, like their car is in the shop, etc. But if we could get rid of this cultural myth of the 1:1 ratio of people to cars we would have much less demand for gas, much better air quality, etc.

My parents tell me it used to be socially acceptable to hitchhike, and that people would pick up hitchhikers without fear of being killed. and they didn't assume that someone was destitute just because they were hitching. I've also read that hitchhiking is still common in South America (aren't they controling our oil supply?) and in the lesser developed countries of the world where they don't have as high of a people to cars ratio.

preferredduck
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
looks like preferredduck knows what is going on! reps to you

back at you. we are dependant on oil :thinking:

twinj
04-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I do remeber the protest, and believe it or not the prices did go down. Thats all i have to say about that.

preferredduck
04-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I do remeber the protest, and believe it or not the prices did go down. Thats all i have to say about that.

they may have fro a second, but look at in now. it's all political.

phongt12
04-20-2007, 11:11 PM
wow, big whoop if gas goes down by 30 cents if this protest works, which it won't. unless you like riding bikes to work, people will still pay for gas. i paid $3.30/gal for premium last year, but didn't make a big deal about it cause i knew the prices would level off eventually.

Total_Blender
04-22-2007, 06:06 AM

Might have been unrelated. Normally gas goes up on the weekends. Also depends on where you are. Gas is normally $0.10 cheaper where my parents live than it is here:crazy:

Annihilation
04-22-2007, 10:38 PM
this is randomguy
well considering the oil companies make about 10 cents per gallon and the fact that there is 60-80 cents tax per gallon sold, i think we're taking the wrong approach

Frög
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
lol @ this idea..

Eurostunna07
04-23-2007, 02:52 PM
this is randomguy
well considering the oil companies make about 10 cents per gallon and the fact that there is 60-80 cents tax per gallon sold, i think we're taking the wrong approach

Yo when the prices are really high like right now when QuiKtrp or racetrak are bout 2.65 right now and the cost is lets say.. 2.39 and the taxes are suppose to be atleast 36 or 40 cents add onto that 2.25 regular unleaded cost so actually it should be 2.79 ...UNDERCOST! LOSING MONEY ..actually..NOT MAKING 10 cents per gallon at all.

civic95
04-23-2007, 03:03 PM
How many times do we have to get these e-mails, and see these fucking posts? Some of you were not paying attention in economics.

Ok sure if no one buys gas on 1 day, the price will go down. But what about the next couple of days when twice as many people buy gas as usual? It will go back up.

The only way to drive the price down is to decrease demand for a period of time or from now on.
If all americans drive a total of 11 billion miles a week it doesn't make a damn what day everyone buys gas. It averages out. You have to decrease the miles driven, or increase fuel efficency of cars to get the demand to be lower. Which makes the price lower.

Boycotting stations does not work. If you boycott for example BP, and buy from I don't know lets say quicktrip across the street. What happens? BP lowers their price by 10 cents a gallon compared to quicktrip. Everyone will be running to BP to buy gas to save that 10 cents a gallon.

If US demand shrinks OPEC will just cut production. You will always pay whatever you are willing to pay for gas. If every car in america got 100 miles to the gallon, you would still pay $50 a week for gas, because that's what your willing to pay. Thats how supply and demand works.

Doppelgänger
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
ghey thread.