PDA

View Full Version : need some (serious) advice on avoiding scams while selling my car

osnap
04-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Please try and keep this thread somewhat serious.

Im selling my car... and because of the god-awful bodykit and all that jazz, i posted it on Mautofied.com where i thought it would get some attention... and sure enough, i recently had a guy named Rudy email me some questions. He wanted a VIN number and a few more pictures. I actually got a voicemail message from him and he verified that he was Rudy and wanted to talk about the possibility of buying the car. the area code is 819, and he was very up front about the fact that wed need to work shipping out somehow, since hes in Colorado Springs.

i provided him with a VIN number and explained what the carfax report would show when he pulls it. I spoke to him on the phone today and he seems like a nice, legitimate guy... but then again, you can never be too careful. He said hed been looking for a nice del sol for a while (and his mautofied account, though pretty new, reinforces this idea - all the cars hes made offers on have been sols). He asked about the possibility of splitting shipping costs if he paid my 5500 asking price. i just told him we would have to look into shipping options soon and discuss that then, and that id be willing to work with him. He said hed be speaking with his bank tomorrow, and that he "assumed it would be no problem and he could just have the money transferred into my account".

anyways... maybe im just being over-cautious, but something just strikes me as odd. anything stand out to anyone? the things that strike me as odd are: one, hes buying a car sight unseen, which i think is stupid. 2, he wants to have it shipped, which just sends up red flags for me. 3, hes not even negotiating the OBO price. I dunno... im just wary.

What i REALLY want to know, is how can i go about being sure im not going to be scammed? id rather not use escrow if i dont have to (its like $200 for this transaction), but that could be my best option. i just dont want to get a check and have it clear, only to find out after shipping the car that the check has bounced. He seems legitimate, but i cant be sure.

what are some good precautions to take? prepare a contract/receipt, check with bank.... etc?

"B"
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
My best friend lives in Colorado Springs. You can ship it to his house and he can deliver it for you as a favor to me. Also, as long as he pays upfront it shouldn't matter if he wants it shipped. I am guessing that you put pics up? People buy cars on ebay all the time that they haven't seen but in a few pictures.

B16a2 Civic
04-18-2007, 04:29 PM
trust no buyer from africa Lol

JennB
04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Tell him you will only take a cashiers check from his bank and ship the car after you receive it. When it gets to you, call his bank and verify the check before you deposit it. Deposit check and then ship.

Or if he does a wire transfer before you ship the car, I don't really know how that couldn't be legit.

Just don't let it go before you have the money.

drupason
04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
as long as the $$$ shows up on your bank account who cares!! Just dont ship it before it shows

Ltdnismorace
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
western union FTW man. After you get the cash, ship the car, no problem

Benefit
04-18-2007, 05:20 PM
dont ship without having the cash in your hand. rule of thumb

RandomGuy
04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
my boy from nigeria is legit he has cash in hand and will pay you before you even send the car out.

Lucky DAWG
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
chris
just give me the car so you don't even have to think about all of this

you just have too much going on right now, i'm genuinely concerned so i'm just trying to be a good friend

civic95
04-18-2007, 10:44 PM
You mentioned escrow. I would have him send a cashiers check, and give your bank a few days to clear it before shipping it. DO NOT give him your bank account #.

People do buy cars without seeing them in person. If it was me I would of flown out, and looked at it. If I wanted it I would drive it back, or if not fly standby.

JackMaster
04-18-2007, 10:51 PM
common sense homey... dont give the car to anyone till you get the money in hand.

osnap
04-19-2007, 11:12 AM
all the people saying not to ship it until i have the money in hand...

no shit!

lol... what im referring to are these scams that people will do where theyll send you a check and you deposit it and it goes in just fine and everyone is happy, and then about 10 days later all the sudden the bank informs you that it has bounced, and alllll that money disappears. im not a complete dumbass (oh, you live in nigeria? and you said the check is in the mail? ok fuck it ill go ahead and ship)

but yeah... jennb i was thinking about that same methodology and yeah, i think ill be telling him to get a cashiers check which ill verify with his bank and mine and make sure they tell me it isnt fraudulent.

collins
04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
have him paypal you that shit. that way, as soon as it clears your bank account, its all yours. AND he has no way of getting your account number.