PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Pro Driver

nightracer
04-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I have always been interested in becoming a professional driver and now I want to act on that interest. I became familiar with driving techniques and car control at a young age thanks to me being a courageous and curious male. :D

What steps should I take in lieu of building up the required skill to becoming licensed racing driver?

Marty
04-18-2007, 12:18 PM
MONEY

Elbow
04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
:goodjob: x 1,000,000,000

More then you can imagine

Tracy
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
X 10000000 on the $$$$

Frög
04-18-2007, 01:00 PM
ya.. i want to do that too, but have no money.. you need to first go to racing school.. which is usualy 3500-5000 and then you need to get in lower leagues, like kart racing and stuff... move up to F3maybe F2 and maybe one day F1 if your really good.. but probably not gonna ever happen..

SampaGuy
04-18-2007, 01:14 PM
ya.. i want to do that too, but have no money.. you need to first go to racing school.. which is usualy 3500-5000 and then you need to get in lower leagues, like kart racing and stuff... move up to F3maybe F2 and maybe one day F1 if your really good.. but probably not gonna ever happen..

if u wanted to race F1 u should have started karting when u were 4 years old. way too late for that lol.

Frög
04-18-2007, 01:15 PM
if u wanted to race F1 u should have started karting when u were 4 years old. way too late for that lol.

yup.. it sucks.. i would be the happiest man alive right now, if only my dad put me in karting when i was a kid..

Vteckidd
04-18-2007, 01:20 PM
change your last name to Shumacher or Andretti

Elbow
04-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah karting FTW I started when I was a lil boy. After karts a school is a good idea, Skip Barber is good, and they have their own series as well. To be a pro road race driver here in the US it is VERY hard. Driving an IT SCCA race car wont really lead to F1. You have to have some serious money to start. I had the chance to race at Petit Le Mans this year, and even being asked I still had to pay over 50k....that would cover everything not just the race itself. Red Bull Driver Search a while back was a really good thing, but for younger people luckily I was young enough to do that, it was a lot of fun, America has some really strong talent out there, and it sucks to see really good talent and a lack of funding.

Whoopee95
04-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I have always been interested in becoming a professional driver and now I want to act on that interest. I became familiar with driving techniques and car control at a young age thanks to me being a courageous and curious male. :D

What steps should I take in lieu of building up the required skill to becoming licensed racing driver?

Racing Schools, Racing Schools, Racing Schools

Im sure ryan will see this thread and give you the information on the schools you need, but that is your ticket to the Pros

SampaGuy
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah karting FTW I started when I was a lil boy. After karts a school is a good idea, Skip Barber is good, and they have their own series as well. To be a pro road race driver here in the US it is VERY hard. Driving an IT SCCA race car wont really lead to F1. You have to have some serious money to start. I had the chance to race at Petit Le Mans this year, and even being asked I still had to pay over 50k....that would cover everything not just the race itself. Red Bull Driver Search a while back was a really good thing, but for younger people luckily I was young enough to do that, it was a lot of fun, America has some really strong talent out there, and it sucks to see really good talent and a lack of funding.

wow whats ur name? were u gonna race the ALMS race or one of the other races?

Elbow
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
ALMS in a GT Porsche...if you get your FIA licence and all, find a team, and race. A lot of teams require testing to make sure you are good enough I guess, which you pay for that as well. Basically if you got the money to start, and you are good, you have potential to move up and hopefully be pro.

Frög
04-18-2007, 03:01 PM

hey where you live in athens? lets chill.. i need to find someone that knows alot about cars.. and i want to get involved in racing.. i live .6miles north of d-town..

Elbow
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
yeah I am in Athens, over on the east side, PM me

Frög
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
pm'd

SPOOLIN
04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
you dont have to start at an early age if you got enough money you can jump right in.

SampaGuy
04-18-2007, 09:48 PM
you dont have to start at an early age if you got enough money you can jump right in.

yeah u can be like luciano burti and have daddy pay $15 million to race one season in the shittiest team in f1

man
04-18-2007, 10:25 PM
I posted a similar thread on ferrarichat.com
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135617

What I learned is: open-wheelers are pretty much out of the question.

I really want to do WRC or ALMS.

Elbow
04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Actually for road racing cost wise Grand Am is usually cheaper. ALMS is more exotic and all, but Grand Am is a really good rising series that has seen a great rise in the past few years. Especially in DP.

man
04-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Actually for road racing cost wise Grand Am is usually cheaper. ALMS is more exotic and all, but Grand Am is a really good rising series that has seen a great rise in the past few years. Especially in DP.

ALMS is the final destination if I choose that path. I'm really drawn to rallying though.

Elbow
04-19-2007, 06:40 AM
That's cool

Big Baller
04-24-2007, 10:42 AM
First learn to drive because I don't care what you think you know now...you don't know enough.

Racing Schools are good.

To be a Pro First you have to be an amateur.

Then Money.

If you wanted to buy a seat in a Koni Challenge car for just one race the cheap ones start at $7500.

Here is what I spend on a typical Nasa TT weekend

Hotel 200-300

Gas to and From the track $150

Race Gas at the Track $200-$400

Brake Pads $250-350 depending on Compound

Race Tires Usally last 3 weekends So $400 per weekend

Food $100

Oil $100

Alignment before each weekend $150

Misc $150

Entry fees if I don't instruct $300

$1700 for a time trial weekend

David88vert
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
First learn to drive because I don't care what you think you know now...you don't know enough.

That pretty much sums it up. You will always learn - every lap and track. Ask everyone faster than you to help you, and there will always be someone faster and better. If you can't or won't - get out of racing.

Elbow
04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree as well, I dont think you can stop learning, no matter how good you are. The best way to learn is to be behind a faster driver, you learn a lot, I think so at least :)

jimbrown
04-27-2007, 03:21 AM
How do you go about getting into late modeling racing? or oval track if you will?

nightracer
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
I was thinking about just taking it to the mountains for seat time like the JDM guys lol! They got m4d toit3 dRyfT3ng Sk1llz y0!

2turbo4u
05-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Ain't one of the drivers in the ALMS,a student @ UGA?