PDA

View Full Version : 22 Dead at Va. Tech

Hulud
04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were "multiple victims" at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

All entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
you beat me by 7 min... i just did a repost

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OHQA5O0&show_article=1

this is where i got my article

just a side note.... Columbine happend on 4/20... today is 4/16... maybe the person who did this had this in mind

PhAtBoYMr2
04-16-2007, 11:48 AM
crazy shit.

STI LOVER
04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
damn that is fucked up. that is a lot of people he killed. I saw it on the new earlier also.

bigdare23
04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
sad.

Hulud
04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
just a side note.... Columbine happend on 4/20... today is 4/16... maybe the person who did this had this in mind
yea thats it :rolleyes:

if he wanted to do it on 4/20 he would have waited till then

TIGERJC
wow I didn't know asians went crazy like this

Bruce Leroy
damn. I conldn't even imagine what some of those people were going through.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
yea thats it :rolleyes:

if he wanted to do it on 4/20 he would have waited till then
security also heightened's every year on that date in schools, at least it did in mine you never know...

Leisa
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
what the hell is wrong with people... :???:

speedminded
04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
That's worse than the tower sniper [Whitman] at UT in '66...15 killed 31 injured.

tina
04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
what the hell is wrong with people... :???:

EXACTLY WHAT LEISA SAID!!!!!!

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Why do people have to take out their anger/depression on others? I hate to see something like this happen. Our society is in a bad state.

Rest in peace for all those that were killed.

sleepys4
04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Yea this is crazy somebody got arrested today at tech with a gun.. Kids.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 11:57 AM
we really need to do something about our gun control in this country, were so gun crazy its ridiculous

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
we really need to do something about our gun control in this country, were so gun crazy its ridiculous
Guns are not the problem here. People are, but this is not the place to argue that.

DaX
04-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Guns are not the problem here. People are, but this is not the place to argue that.

Ditto.

speedminded
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
we really need to do something about our gun control in this country, were so gun crazy its ridiculousGuns and gun control have nothing to do with it...guns are just a way to fire a projectile and can be made out of anything. Then have you ever heard of Bomb control? Nope and it's a whole lot easier to make a bomb and use it then it is to purchase a gun...How about knife or blunt object control? What about cars & planes? Can you actually take everything away from the human population that can harm others? It has NOTHING to do with the weapon, it's the person using them for destruction and hurt.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM

thats true this guy could have easily just made a bomb or something, he was f'ed in head

its just too bad....

Bruce Leroy
04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
wow I didn't know asians went crazy like this

how do you know he was Asian??

AirMax95
04-16-2007, 12:12 PM
how do you know he was Asian??

Good question! I really do not care what he/she was, it is was not called for. If you have problems, go to a shrink, take a nap, something!

speedminded
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
how do you know he was Asian??"Unidentified man retained" Doesn't mean he was the shooter, they were just being cautious...

o_bomb
04-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Somebody sent somebody over the edge! Anyone know what his motive was??

Ltdnismorace
04-16-2007, 12:34 PM
radio I am listening to just said a total of 25 have died now, don't know where they get their information though

TIGERJC
04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
"Unidentified man retained" Doesn't mean he was the shooter, they were just being cautious...
I was lwatching (wrong like usual) cnn and they said the shooter was asian.

AirMax95
04-16-2007, 12:38 PM
"Unidentified man retained" Doesn't mean he was the shooter, they were just being cautious...

Ah, I am at work and no one said anything other than they caught him.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 12:39 PM
asian huh... didnt see that one coming. I also thought the shooter was dead

Ltdnismorace
04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people and wounding another 21 before he was killed, police said.

On the Web site, Tech reported the shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and said there were "multiple victims" at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

All entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said student Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.

weird

tony
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
The sad thing is some of those kids might have been weeks away from graduation.. so sad.

And about gun control, trust me if more of the right people had guns the wrong people would think twice about doing shit like this.

Bruce Leroy
04-16-2007, 12:48 PM
I just don't understand why people don't think that stuff like this will happen to them. One person they interviewed on fox said "Stuff like this in not supposed happen here." WTF!! This is not supposed to happen anywhere.

And why the hell was there a 2 hour break between the first shooting, and the rest??

Kyle
04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
They say there are 32 confirmed deaths now. Also the shooter is dead from what fox says.

kelly marie
04-16-2007, 01:04 PM
what the hell is wrong with these people?!?!?!?

Kyle
04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
This situation is ridiculous. Think if you decided to sleep in or skip class.

Protege79
04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Text just in from a coworkers friend who is a nurse at that ER and she says there are 49 dead! What a tragedy. : (

Crazy Asian
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Great what next... a terrorist is gonna goto class and blow himself up?

con
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
sad.....

The term 'Going Postal' is making a comeback so beware........

Leadfoot_mf
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
where is marcus vick?

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
CNN is still reporting 22 dead. The campus police said earlier in a press conference that the shooter was killed, they do not if it was a police bullet that killed him or his own. Very fucked up situation.

sleepys4
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
49 people dead, what kind of gun was he using? A fuckin bazooka

Lizbiz101
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
People are damn crazy!!!

bafbrian
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
This is just f'ing nuts. I got found out from some friends while I was in class.

WTF is going on ?

Protege79
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
49 people dead, what kind of gun was he using? A fuckin bazooka

No bazooka needed...all it takes is one good strategic shooter and a lot of ammunition. I bet they find the game "Postal" in his house.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Just jumped up to 31 people.

The Ninja
04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Guns and gun control have nothing to do with it...guns are just a way to fire a projectile and can be made out of anything. Then have you ever heard of Bomb control? Nope and it's a whole lot easier to make a bomb and use it then it is to purchase a gun...How about knife or blunt object control? What about cars & planes? Can you actually take everything away from the human population that can harm others? It has NOTHING to do with the weapon, it's the person using them for destruction and hurt.

In Japan there is a no firearm policy. Also, Japan's crime rate is significantly lower than ours. I believe there is a correlation, and one not in favor of the NRA.

jamaicanDM
04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
this is crazy, prayers with the freinds and family of these victims.....i've been to Tech many times to party and thank God everyone thay i kow is accounted for....its crazy i was suppose to take a road trip Radford Univeristy which is like 10 minutes away from Tech this weekend for Quadfest.....

tony
04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Where are you guys getting these numbers? 22 Dead and 29 wounded possibly more

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 01:36 PM
got mine from cnn. they just updated it.

d-ninja. IIRC guns are banned in Japan. That sounds like one hell of a policy to me.

PhAtBoYMr2
04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
cnn has a cell phone video!

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Yea, I dunno what I would do if that happend in my dorm building. That would be some scary shit.

Lizbiz101
04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
dang they say it's 31 people now. On CNN.

Lizbiz101
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh lord....the president is going to make a speech in an hour....lol

phongt12
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
man, one of my high school friends is at Va Tech right now doing NCAA wrestling. i hope he's okay... also, is it just me or do they news reporters seem so annoying? they ask the victims on the phone the dumbest questions like "is this sinking in?"

VooDooXII
04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Text just in from a coworkers friend who is a nurse at that ER and she says there are 49 dead! What a tragedy. : (

FORTY NINE???

:no:

I have some friends at Virginia Tech...I really hope they're doing alright.

Leadfoot_mf
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
yahoo and fox 31 people dead. sad fucking sad.

Elbow
04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Damn, my prayers go out to friends and familys of everyone there. What the fuck is wrong with people?

Protege79
04-16-2007, 01:57 PM

My coworker is friends with a nurse working at the ER where they are bringing the casulaties. She texted almost an hour ago that they had 49 dead. They may not be able to release that yet without notifying next of kin. We'll see if that's accurate later.

Lizbiz101
04-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I hope it's not 49.....I can't believe that!!

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
They brought people to like 6 different hospitals. No trama unit can handle that many people coming from place at the same time. Grady is one of the best in the country and I doubt they could even take that kind of load. Not saying your coworker's friend is lying but Im going to say that is a rumor.

speedminded
04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
They brought people to like 6 different hospitals. No trama unit can handle that many people coming from place at the same time. Grady is one of the best in the country and I doubt they could even take that kind of load. Not saying your coworker's friend is lying but Im going to say that is a rumor.You don't exactly need a trauma unit for DOA/casualties.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 02:07 PM
You don't exactly need a trauma unit for DOA/casualties.
True, but im guessing that if the death toll is rising that means people are dying at the hospital(s).

Protege79
04-16-2007, 02:08 PM
They brought people to like 6 different hospitals. No trama unit can handle that many people coming from place at the same time. Grady is one of the best in the country and I doubt they could even take that kind of load. Not saying your coworker's friend is lying but Im going to say that is a rumor.

Yeah she said they closed her ER due to the # of casualties, but they have been in touch with the other hospitals in the area. I hope she is misinformed and apologize if her #'s are innacurate.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I hope she is misinformed too, that would be terrible. No need to apologize, its understandable that numbers get mixed up.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
oh god I just heard some idiot blame it on grand theft auto...its not video games people...
Ive played violent video games since i was 5... does that make me a risk.. and in no way am I a violent person at all

Clegger
04-16-2007, 02:16 PM
this guy on fox is blaming doom now... ok shooting somebody with a mouse and shooting somebody with a gun is way different... its not "training"

TIGERJC
04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
oh god I just heard some idiot blame it on grand theft auto...its not video games people...
Ive played violent video games since i was 5... does that make me a risk.. and in no way am I a violent person at all
being white makes you at risk for that type of violence

w3bcod3r
04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
that is what fucking up !!! haha !!!

tony
04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Apparently the shooter was using 2 9mm's

TIGERJC
04-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Apparently the shooter was using 2 9mm's
he must have lined them up and just shot the students execution style. Thats the only way you could kill that many ppl or unless you had the aim of a sniper. For example, the Columbine shooters did most of their killing when the kids were hiding under tables.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 03:12 PM
he must have lined them up and just shot the students execution style. Thats the only way you could kill that many ppl or unless you had the aim of a sniper. For example, the Columbine shooters did most of their killing when the kids were hiding under tables.
Or timed it so that a majority of classes would be letting out then just shot randomly in the hallway.

Also anyone who blames this on a video game is a fucking idiot.

Kyle
04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
CNN is still reporting 22 dead. The campus police said earlier in a press conference that the shooter was killed, they do not if it was a police bullet that killed him or his own. Very fucked up situation.
Well BJ, you need to watch some republican news(FOX). Your parents should have trained you better. lol.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Fuck fox and fuck cnn. They both suck if you ask me, I just don't think cnn sucks as bad. I hardly watch the news anymore because its so slanted.

Clegger
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
these news reporters on all of these channels must be so frustrated right now. They arn't getting any info on this and they just keep letting random students talk live and ask them if they know anything. They are trying to make it seem as if they care about these students but all they are doing is trying to get info and if they dont have any they hang up on them and go to somebody else

Kyle
04-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Fuck fox and fuck cnn. They both suck if you ask me, I just don't think cnn sucks as bad. I hardly watch the news anymore because its so slanted.
I dont regularly watch the news either. But when something like this happens I watch Fox. Plus their coverage was better IMO.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Eh, I hate fox. Its to blatant with its absurdly conservative twist on things.

tony
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM

You would be correct, killed execution style (not definite, trustworthy source though)

Ruiner
04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
You would be correct, killed execution style (not definite, trustworthy source though)

Not really. If people are huddled together, you can shoot one, go through that person, and hit another. Boom, two people dead with one shot. It's like fish in a barrel. If you have a 9mm with 15-17rnd standard mags, it's easy to shoot and reload. If you have lets say a Glock with the special 30rnd mags, well, you get the idea.

It was *said* that he had a tac vest on with multiple mags attached, though.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Yea, im thinking this guy could have just walked around the buildings while firing away and still had plenty of victims. Im still shocked they didn't cancel shit after the first shooting at 7:15, that seems kind of rediculous.

tony
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I assume he would have to be a pretty good shooter to fatally wound 31 people out of 60, prior military? My mind cannot conceive the horror that was in that dormitory so I cannot begin to imagine what really happened. 2 9mm's in hand though I find it hard to believe that he was just walking through shooting people.

NewGen33
04-16-2007, 03:52 PM
this sucks people are so pathetic :rant: RIP all the people who died

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I assume he would have to be a pretty good shooter to fatally wound 31 people out of 60, prior military? My mind cannot conceive the horror that was in that dormitory so I cannot begin to imagine what really happened. 2 9mm's in hand though I find it hard to believe that he was just walking through shooting people.
Don't really need to have aim if you shoot alot of rounds. Aim at head level, fire. Its also possible that the person was a hunter or had lots of practice with guns recreationally.

Ruiner
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Yea, im thinking this guy could have just walked around the buildings while firing away and still had plenty of victims. Im still shocked they didn't cancel shit after the first shooting at 7:15, that seems kind of rediculous.

They don't know if it is the same person in both shootings, though. You can ASSUME, but you just don't know yet. I will say that closing down campus would have done NOTHING as many students were already in route to class by the time and/or by the time that the police/administration realize that there had been a shooting and people were dead. Figure that that first shooting is at 7:15, 911 is called, the police show up at 7:20-7:25, investigation happens, and decisions are made. That will put you at 8, 8:30, etc. The email goes out at 9:15ish?

Keep in mind that 11,000 people are driving into campus (that number is from the President of the school). They DID lock down the building where the first incident occured and given witness statements, were under the impression that the person was fleeing campus and/or the state.

A lot of stuff happened very quickly. It's hard to make actions happen that quickly.

tony
04-16-2007, 04:03 PM
This is one report:

SKY NEWS: Witnesses said he was heavily armed and entered the college looking for his girlfriend... He reportedly lined up students and opened fire at them. He was said to be an Asian, in his mid-20s...

Ruiner
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Imagine 30-50 people huddled in the corner of a room. Is it really *that* hard to aim at a group of huddled people and shoot? No.

You act as if he was picking them off, individually, from 15ft away. I have a feeling that they were running away and/or huddled up against the wall. That makes people VERY easy targets. You don't have to be THAT good of a shot. Also, you don't know how many shots that he fired. He might have fired over 200 rounds, killed 31, injured 29, and missed the rest.

Ruiner
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Don't really need to have aim if you shoot alot of rounds. Aim at head level, fire. Its also possible that the person was a hunter or had lots of practice with guns recreationally.

He was shooting into class rooms. Most class rooms have one door for entry/exit. Run into the room, the people ALL run to the back of the room. They are all lined up ready to be shot. It isn't hard...

Ruiner
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Keep in mind that classes started at 8pm, it takes 15-20 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. The call came into 911 at 7:15am. It takes time... THOUSANDS of kids travel to campus for class (about 11,000 they said). The rest live on/around campus. How do you lock down ALL buildings on campus? Getting word out, alone, just to do that, would take TIME and resources that they didn't have.

R3RUN
04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
^good points. I agree that it was alot of quick events but it seems like somebody could have gotten to him before he had a chance to kill 30 people. Then again, if there is a class of 300 in one room it would not take long.

Ruiner
04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
^good points. I agree that it was alot of quick events but it seems like somebody could have gotten to him before he had a chance to kill 30 people. Then again, if there is a class of 300 in one room it would not take long.

A. Nobody knew where he was. As I said earlier, reports saw him feeling "away" from the building what was thought to be away from campus. They did do a "sweep" of campus, however, right after this happened. As they were doing this and/or right after, the second shooting incident happened. Is it the same person? Dunno that yet. They just don't know right now and it will take time to figure this out.

B. Pistols/guns/weapons are illegal on college campuses 'cept by law enforcement.

Hulud
04-16-2007, 08:58 PM
damn 33? this shit is fucked

C22H19N3O4
04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
This is one report:

SKY NEWS: Witnesses said he was heavily armed and entered the college looking for his girlfriend... He reportedly lined up students and opened fire at them. He was said to be an Asian, in his mid-20s...

Won't be a good week for Koreans.

Va. Tech Gunman Was Student From S.Korea

STORY (http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/04/17/638795.html)

nightracer
04-17-2007, 10:26 AM
That is exactly why this happened, to get you to feel compelled to vote in favor of harsh gun control to take away all our guns. Yea guns are dangerous, lets just all have no protection.

nightracer
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
B. Pistols/guns/weapons are illegal on college campuses 'cept by law enforcement.
Which is why Charles Steger, the President, the VP, VP of Academic Affairs and VT Chief of Police are all potentially jobless. They will either resign, have their contracts pulled or be fired on the spot, they had warnings and did nothing. They let 2 hours go by without locking that campus down? GTFO! This was a horrible security failure. The university is going to be sued, Charles Steger's resignation will be demanded, and VT will pay millions. Enrollment may even drop.

People bring guns on college campuses all the time but the campus security has to be on the job and these guys clearly were NOT!

C22H19N3O4
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
That is exactly why this happened, to get you to feel compelled to vote in favor of harsh gun control to take away all our guns..

Huh?

nightracer
04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Keep in mind that classes started at 8pm, it takes 15-20 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. The call came into 911 at 7:15am. It takes time... THOUSANDS of kids travel to campus for class (about 11,000 they said). The rest live on/around campus. How do you lock down ALL buildings on campus? Getting word out, alone, just to do that, would take TIME and resources that they didn't have.
Sheriff, State Boys, Local Police, SWAT, Hell, even the National Guard, they couldn't know what was unfolding it could be Al Qeada attacking, which is why there is no excuse.

You can use crowd control to get 20,000 people off the grounds, I know police officers who've controlled huge crowds and riots so it is possible. They should have had the campus swarming with helicopters, SWAT and Cops minutes after the first shootings.

nightracer
04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Huh?
People are going to push for some crazy kind of gun control after this is all over. I say people control and slow the foreigners. :D

Hulud
04-17-2007, 10:46 AM
i like how people are saying how good/bad of a job VT did at controlling this situation

but lets look at the facts that you have

thats right you werent there, you only have what the media has given, so why are you commenting on how they reacted when you have no idea what they knew/didnt know and how they acted/didnt act about the situation

C22H19N3O4
04-17-2007, 10:48 AM
People are going to push for some crazy kind of gun control after this is all over. I say people control and slow the foreigners. :D

Your statement as it reads makes it seem like the shooter had some ulterior motive.

C22H19N3O4
04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
There are rumors that Bush wants to declare war against South Korea. He added all Asian students with bowl haircuts to the "axis of evil" list.

nightracer
04-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Your statement as it reads makes it seem like the shooter had some ulterior motive.
He was probably too geeked in the head to have that much foresight.

nightracer
04-17-2007, 11:01 AM
thats right you werent there, you only have what the media has given, so why are you commenting on how they reacted when you have no idea what they knew/didnt know and how they acted/didnt act about the situation
Because the actions they took in reaction to the events that played out yesterday morning were not thorough and were not able to isolate the problem. Try shooting at an airport and see if the whole area doesn't get locked down, combed and the shooter laying on the ground with 10 or so rounds in his head. We are at war with terrorists and all public establishments should be secured because all of us are at risk.