PDA

View Full Version : Ring & Pinion Question?

MachNU
04-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Just curious :ninja: :D will a 3.73 Gear for a 8.8 rear end work with a 03 cobra IRS? I have some people telling me there the exact same, but others saying that it wont? Just curious since i know there are a good number of other cobras that go through this area!!!!!! :goodjob:

"B"
04-15-2007, 05:42 PM
That's an interesting question and I wish I could help you with it. I am going to check back in to see what the asnwer is. +1 for a good question.

*edit*
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TransAxle again.

MachNU
04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
That's an interesting question and I wish I could help you with it. I am going to check back in to see what the asnwer is. +1 for a good question.

*edit*
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TransAxle again.

LOL see thats the same problem i am in, i go to alot of well infoed mustang sites and everyone just list the ring and pinions by what they are, and not for cars. Like 87-93, 94-98, and 99-04 i cant find anything that says GT, Mach 1 and then Cobra's! :???: :thinking:

Novacaine
04-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my nova. Trying to get a set of 3:73's but have found six different answers on what the spline pattern may be. Your best bet might be talking to a Ford Techncian, our someone else who has put them in. In anycase good luck finding the answer.

"B"
04-16-2007, 08:37 AM
LOL see thats the same problem i am in, i go to alot of well infoed mustang sites and everyone just list the ring and pinions by what they are, and not for cars. Like 87-93, 94-98, and 99-04 i cant find anything that says GT, Mach 1 and then Cobra's! :???: :thinking:

Let me talk to my buddy at Liberty Ford that posts on Modular Depot. It may take a few hours to get a response though.

"B"
04-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes, the gears for an 8.8 rear end will work for a cobra with IRS. THis is straight from a Ford parts expert.

MachNU
04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, the gears for an 8.8 rear end will work for a cobra with IRS. THis is straight from a Ford parts expert.

yeah thanks i found out last night to that the rear end itself is just an 8.8 the suspension is where it differs!!!! :goodjob:

OHYOUKNOW
04-17-2007, 02:04 AM
yeah thanks i found out last night to that the rear end itself is just an 8.8 the suspension is where it differs!!!! :goodjob:

its an 8.8 center section, and thats where the similarity ends. all 8.8 gears will intechange into each other. thats why if your looking for a cheap 31 spline carrier got to pull a part and find an explorer:goodjob:

MachNU
04-17-2007, 07:42 AM
its an 8.8 center section, and thats where the similarity ends. all 8.8 gears will intechange into each other. thats why if your looking for a cheap 31 spline carrier got to pull a part and find an explorer:goodjob:

no i made a trade the other day for my cobra rims money + 3.73 gear