PDA

View Full Version : Tuning

ATK_Designs
06-28-2005, 01:42 PM
I have a Hond Accord with a JDM H22a (OBDI) swap. it's pretty much stock with bolt-ons like i/h/e and may be a set of pulleys upgrade. It'll be my daily car. Therefore, should I get it tuned? If I need to tune it, what management system should I go with? I'd like to consider a good budget one but also allow me to learn and to have a control of it myself.

what should i go with, and who should I go to for a good price and a good tune?

a. getting mine chipped and tune using Uberdata, crome, etc.?
b. Piggyback system like A'pexi S-afc
c. Hondata S200
d. your suggestion

This is very important regarding the tuner since I'm having another H22 being bulletproof for turbo later on and would definitely go back if I have a good tuner with a goodprice.

Thank you all.

99SI
06-28-2005, 02:55 PM
what year model is the H22 from? If it is Obd-1 you can have it socketed to tune using uberdata or chrome. If it is an obd-2 car you can run an apexi unit or the like.

ATK_Designs
06-28-2005, 03:02 PM
what year model is the H22 from? If it is Obd-1 you can have it socketed to tune using uberdata or chrome. If it is an obd-2 car you can run an apexi unit or the like.

Oh, mine is OBD-I (thanks for mention, i forgot). How much would socketed cost me? And will I be able to learn and manually control it by myself (yes, I do have a laptop) or do I need a tuner and a dyno everytime I want to do something (eg: cam gears, etc.)?

Or should I be better off with A'pexi V-AFC?

99SI
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I did an ob2-obd1 conversion. Crome and Uberdata are both set up to be functional for do it yourself. However, after watching the work that goes into adjusting tables and what not for fuel and air, I would not attempt it by myself. There are websites dedicated to the diy tuning but don't expect for someone to tell you how to do it. Be prepared for a few weeks worth of work. My time is worth the amount of money I pay to have it tuned on the dyno. Another thing too if you were to do it yourself is you would HAVE to have a wideband to monitor A/F ratio. Vteckidd has a very good tuner for crome, he is sponsored by crome and has the latest functions and software for tuning. I have a launch control function, full throttle shifts, some other really cool stuff. PM or email him for more info on prices. Generally $150/hr. for tuning on the dyno but you can believe you will get your money's worth. As for the socketing and setting up your ecu, I believe John can do it also. If not he will know who to send it too. Parts and labor to have it socketed is between $50-100. Can't remember exactly. I would not reccomend tuning yourself unless you really have a firm grasp on the software as well as the functions and what they do, and have a good wideband! Good luck. My car will be going back to SRZ racing to get the final tuning done this weekend if you would like to come out and check it out. We set up a base tune running fairly rich and conservative. I've put plenty of miles on it now we'll advance cam timing, ignition timing, and A/F to get it making max. Be on the lookout for the new numbers from SRZ racing.

99SI
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
speak of the devil, there's mr. Kidd now. lol

Vteckidd
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Apex VAFC is ok for a pretty stock car. if you have lots of mods, or a considerable amount of bolt ons, it sucks. VAFC/SAFC alter the signal to the map sensor to let you control fuel. this is why if you have a VAFC and you add +20 fuel it will throw a map code, cause it thinks its seeing boost. Adversly it will retard or advance your timing when adding or leaning out fuel. VAFC/SAFC only control FUEL, not timing

PM me and get a chipped ECU to run Uberdata, bestt bang for the buck

99SI
06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I thought John was using crome????

Vteckidd
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
john no longer with my shop. I use Uberdata or Crome, same thing, same functions.

99SI
06-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Gotcha! PM me about that.

ATK_Designs
06-28-2005, 05:00 PM
thanks y'all. Seem like I'll get it done for a good price then huh? Can't wait to get my car out of the shop. :)

scttydb411
06-28-2005, 09:00 PM
pm'd replied.