PDA

View Full Version : Misc The Meaning of Life

Hulud
04-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Jaime said something in another thread that made me wonder

Now, the fact that things adapt to their new environments in order to survive, that I believe. There can still be a master plan. There can still be a God overseeing things. There can still be a purpose to everything. That is strictly faith, and I think that's what you guys have problems with me on. :goodjob:

so i was like *lightbulb* thats why i feel the way i do about a god. its that i think there is no meaning to life, we are just here.

discuss

ISAtlanta300
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
So you think we are just like 'animals'.... we get born, eat, drink, populate and die... with no higher purpose?

The fact that we are able to post in this forum is reason enough to separate us from other species, and provide de facto possibility that there is a higher purpose for our being here. We have been 'given' intelligence. Be it that our brains evolved to such enlightment or were created like that, based on your beliefs. No other species has accomplished such feat throughout the history of the world. Though most animals have 'adapted' considerably by look, and features.. none have adapted intellectually like we have. A monkey from 10.000 years ago is as smart as one today.

Without this, we might as well have been a planet of animals... barren, with none of the technologies that we have so far. We would have been like dogs. laying with kin. Fighting and biting each other for food, and killing each other.

We might as well be like them, if there was no purpose to life. Heck.. we would throw away all morals and guilt and just roam, having sex with our mothers, daughters, eat each other and hope to survive another day.

Hulud
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
what makes you think that because we EVOLVED to what we have now it makes us any further from being an animal?

we are animals

so monkeys from 10,000 years ago are really just as smart as they are now? I'd like to see how you came up with that. Since its so easy for you to determine an animals intelligence, do share your secrets lol.

Clegger
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I believe that there is a meaning To MY Life. And I believe that someone can make there life meaningful.

Tracer
04-06-2007, 02:17 PM
If there was no meaning to life...what's the point for us here? What purpose would it serve? I believe: That is to search God more and have faith in him. Without HIM we would just be pointless. If you dont believe in a GOD...then ask yourself...What is your meaning in life? No matter what you answer it would be selfish.....

TheGodfather
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I believe everyone has something in their life they will do to make an impact, even in the smallest way.

ISAtlanta300
04-07-2007, 10:44 AM
what makes you think that because we EVOLVED to what we have now it makes us any further from being an animal?

Not evolved, adapted. ;) We are the only species that can build upon other's knowledge, i.e. perfecting, improving something that was invented in the past. You can train an animal, but we can actually invent stuff.

so monkeys from 10,000 years ago are really just as smart as they are now? I'd like to see how you came up with that. Since its so easy for you to determine an animals intelligence, do share your secrets lol.

Just look at them. Animals will always be animals. You don't see a "smart" monkey that can talk today now do you? So if there isn't one today, there definitely was not one 10.000 years ago.

ISAtlanta300
04-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Also just think about it, theories come and go, some are disproved, new discoveries are made. But religion, or 'God' more specifically has always been there, even in the darkest of ages.

Yes, even if the Mayans or Aztecs or Egyptians worshipped several Gods.. even if the cavemen worshipped fire..... it seems to be in our nature to worship... to serve something greater than us. While some may have been based on fear (lightning and thunder, destructive properties of fire etc.) I doubt someone just came to the idea of 'hey, I'm bored. Let's worship something".

ShooterMcGavin
04-07-2007, 10:11 PM
I think many of us aren't comfortable with the idea of not living for a purpose, or the fact that we can't fathom time having no beginning and no end, hence the reason for all the worshipping...

Bruce Leroy
04-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I think many of us aren't comfortable with the idea of not living for a purpose, or the fact that we can't fathom time having no beginning and no end, hence the reason for all the worshipping...

I totally agree.

Jaimecbr900
04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm just glad I made you think about something positive for a change..... :D ;) :goodjob:

Carry on.

Julio
04-15-2007, 09:57 PM
If you beleive in God or you don't... I'm sure we are here for something.

Hulud
04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm just glad I made you think about something positive for a change..... :D ;) :goodjob:

Carry on.
:lmao:

you inspire me jaime.....

Hulud
04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
If you beleive in God or you don't... I'm sure we are here for something.
jw, but whats your basis?

i mean how are you sure?

Jaimecbr900
04-16-2007, 09:19 AM
i mean how are you sure?

See, that's exactly the point. Do you HAVE TO be 100000% sure to believe in anything? Why can't you have FAITH in something that makes 99.9% sense to you? Do you really need that .1%?

Think about this: If life had no meaning, what is the purpose of anyone being here? We have a brain. We have choices. We have the moral compass, but yet we have no destination??? Sorta reminds me of the Waterworld movie where they were looking for dry land, yet had no clue which way to go. So they floated around aimlessly hoping to one day simply to run into it. Pretty dismal, isn't it?

I tend to agree with Julio. Believe or not believe, there should still be a final purpose to life itself. It may not be religious based for you, but there should be a purpose to you being here. Right? I mean, otherwise why stick around?