PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on paint

Ltdnismorace
04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, bought the car, got a pretty good deal on it a few months ago. I have been doing preventive type maintenance for the time since them, new distributor, plugs, wires, timing belt and tensioner, neuspeed pulley kit, all fluids etc etc. Well as I'm sure a lot of you euro enthusiasts will know by looking at the picture, I got the year and color which was recalled by volkswagen some years ago b/c of bad paint issues. The original owner didn't get it taken care of so I can't take advantage of the recall (to my knowledge anyways, if someone wants to make my day and tell me otherwise, grrrreat). The hood, trunk and roof took most of the damage, but the front and rear bumpers and door accents look kinda bad too. Anyways, so in the next month I'm going to start prepping for paint and do the damn thing. A buddy of mine bought all the paint to repaint his truck and then subsequently totalled it but still has all the stuff, only problem is that it's candy apple red and I don't know if it will look good. Just trying to get opinions on what I should do, keep in mind I can get everything, gallon of paint, gallon of clear, gallon of primer, all hardeners etc for 50 bucks if the candy red is where I end up going. So, here is a picture, if someone wants to photoshop the candy or whatever other color you think would look good, go right ahead, I'm game to see options.

note: rake isn't really this bad, it had 4 17 inch wheels in the trunk on a slight downhill grade.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/Lilredrover/Vdub5.jpg

OneSlow5pt0
04-06-2007, 12:21 AM
i say candy red,loooks great if u do it right

Allstar3.8T
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
The only problem w/ true candy is no touch ups. maybe some dont know so I'll explain, candy paint is transparant, so you stack it 5-10 layers to get the desired depth/color. Because of this, its EASY to do it wrong and see "strokes" or uneven patches in the paint when done.
Hopefully, all this is in vein, and you are doing a single base/clear that is "candy red" in color, and not application.
Either way I say yes, Candy red, whether it be real candy coats, or single base/clear is my fave!

william_jeff
04-06-2007, 07:47 AM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113209

thegreatfnr
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
I personally wouldnt go candy apple red, I would try and stick with a stock VW/Audi color. We have a guy on the southside of town that does amazing body and paint work. Most of the Durties take our cars to him. If you want his number IM me or something.

Lee :cheers:

4dmin
04-06-2007, 08:22 AM
flat black :D

thegreatfnr
04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
flat black :D
have you seen the Chalk Board type paint job.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/windsorglx/hood.jpg

Aparently its fairly cheap and easy to DIY

http://www.dub-nation.com/show/dubfest/images/2-dubfest_361.jpg

Lee :cheers:

xenniferx
04-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Personally, I've always wanted an orange car.
That pretty color the Z comes in would be nice.

><

Ltdnismorace
04-07-2007, 12:30 AM
only problem with the sprayglow option or hte other guy on the southside of town is that I live in west virginia and I can paint myself haha, both hurdles. As for which variety of the candy apple it will be, is the basecoat and clear over, not a true candy job. Basically just bright red with a little bit of flake I guess.

xenniferx
04-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Wow no rice comments on my orange? I'm surprised. :P

><

Ltdnismorace
04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
ehhh, i hate orange

Total_Blender
04-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Whatever you do, PLEASE don't do a flat black hood only. "Pandas" as they are called need to go extinct:2up: . I'm also not a fan of the bodycolor grilles on MkIII's. If you want to have something flat black go with the grille... it will look 1000x better. [/rant]

I have seen some nice 2 tone cars, but we're talking about all gloss paint and the 2 tone splits at the beltline of the car. :goodjob:
http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7d/3f/b373_12.JPG

I agree with going with a factory color or close to a factory color. The candy apple might look pretty good though, I think MkIII's look the best with dark colors. Whatever you do stay away from anything orange, lime green, or pink.:crazy:

Ltdnismorace
04-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I've never been a fan of flat black so don't worry about that. I may end up doing a two tone candy red bottom and gloss black top and cut it off along the natural line in the body right above the door handles. May also just do the hood, trunk and roof in gloss black, don't know yet. I don't have photoshop to play with it so if anyone has it and has some spare time, hook me up with some pictures like that, two tone and just black top, hood and trunk.

Total_Blender
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Search the VwVortex for "2 tone" and you will find a bunch of threads. I like the 2 tone jobs where the line starts above the doorhandles and includes the tops of the doors/fenders better than the ones that just include the hood. If you paint only the hood and the trunk all that's gonna do is draw the eye to the panel gaps.

Jecht
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Paint it the same color as a certain other Mk3 on Import Atlanta. :D

Codeman1407
04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
lol i dont know if magius is talking about me or not... lol... sure do two tone red and black... but if you do, we need to take some photos later on down the road.

Jecht
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
lol i dont know if magius is talking about me or not... lol... sure do two tone red and black... but if you do, we need to take some photos later on down the road.

Sorry, I was talking about mine. Hence the stupid smiley face. I really feel kinda lonely paint wise because none of the other Mk3 owners have heard of capri green or seen one this color... which is surprising because its an OEM color.

Codeman1407
04-09-2007, 10:55 PM
yeah, i saw the smiley, thats what threw me off, i didnt know who you were talking about.. but your right, never heard of capri green, yet i have seen one mk3 jetta in downtown with it...

Ltdnismorace
04-10-2007, 06:34 AM
codeman, I love the paint on yours, it has me sold on 2 tone I think. How did you seperate, pin stripe? you have any close up shots of the seperation. Mine would be pretty damn close except reversed, oh yeah, I live in west virginia so picture may be a little difficult which is also the reason I am not going to do black on the bottom. Black cars don't stay nice very long here because of all the rocks and shit.

Codeman1407
04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
actually, i bought the car like this, and the guy that painted it didnt sand the black, so it's raised a little and kinda chipping, but i plan on doing a small silver pinstrip to fix it...

the cool thing about the MK3 golf's is there's a thin black strip in the tail lights, it makes the paint look like it was made for it i think...

and i like those wheels btw, i'm gonna repaint and sell mine to get some like that style.

Ltdnismorace
04-12-2007, 07:31 AM
yeah, the body line on the back of mine go right to the top of the tails and I am going to repaint my wheels too after I do the car and figure out what would look good. Here is a tail pick to show what I'm talking about.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/Lilredrover/Vdub3.jpg

Codeman1407
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
perfect. it's gonna look sick, make sure you post pics up ASAP.

green_pedro7
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Flat black hood, trunk, and top. Then gloss black all other parts!