PDA

View Full Version : Autocross platforms.

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
OK here is the deal. I wont to get into Autocross but I do not know what is a good platform to begin with. As of now I have a 93 240sx Coupe, but I don't know if I should use that for Autocross or not. As you can tell I'm a beginner but I really want to get into it. Should I use the 240 or go with a different car?

santacruz77
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
it depends do you just want to have fun or do you want to be competive? the 240 would be hard to win in unless your a great driver but it would be fun, to be cheap and fast id say get like a ef hatch or crx somthing like that

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Yea. the 240 s more for drifting and what not. Im leaning towards and EG right now.

I'm basically doing it for fun. I'm not the drifting type.

santacruz77
04-04-2007, 10:05 AM
ya but 240s can handle real good and be fast just takes some time, one just one the season last year... i honestly think ef's are better for it, also it depend on which class your looking to be in.

man
04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Use the 240

StraightSix
04-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I think your current car is just fine to begin autocrossing. I wouldn't worry too much about being competitive at your first several autocrosses, especially in the Atlanta Region.

The poster above is correct a 240SX did win the national title in STS. However, STS rules allow some modifications that the stock classes don't. Your car is in G-Stock, assuming that it isn't modified beyond the scope of the stock class rules (i.e. stock classing allows a cat-back, replacement struts/shocks, and DOT R-comp tires). That puts you in the same class as the new Mini Cooper S. They pretty much dominate that class.

Autocrossing is a lot of fun, and will teach you a lot about car control. Those are the two most important things to focus on regarding autocross. Learn the basics first, then worry about being competitive.

Another thing to point out, is that a RWD car takes a different technique than a FWD car. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages, though.

Here's (http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?x=050%7C070&%7E=) a link to the SCCA's web page with all the information about the current rules. And, another to SoloAtlanta's (http://www.soloatlanta.com/) web site.

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Ill be doing AutoX in MEmphis. I wont be in GA after this semester.

The thing is, I can drive a lot better with a FWD. I have more experience with them. The 240is my first RWD besides the pickup.

Auto X the pickup!? =p

Bruce Leroy
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I would say keep the 240. Its has greater potential to be way better than a hatch.

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Another issue is that I have a really really tight budget.SO I have no idea on what kind of mods I should buy.

Elbow
04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I dont think a 240 has more potential to be better then a hatch, and in the end it all depends on the driver. You can make a hatch a lot faster on an autocross course then a 240 price wise and probably just setup.

I say just get out there and have fun. It takes a LOT of practice to win. It is a lot of fun, no matter how fast you are. Start stock and start buidling up little things at a time.

Cool Cat Racing
04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Run what you have and then decide what you want. A hatch will tend to be faster because its lighter and has other benefits depending on the class your racing in. As the others have said you need to get the practice first and foremost. You will learn what works best for you and your driving style through racing and you'll be better off for deciding what car fits you better. My group runs miatas but we also have been racing for several years and knew what we were buying. The 240 can be just as competetive but you will be the deciding factor, not the car.

SampaGuy
04-04-2007, 01:02 PM
keep the 240!!! u will have a lot more fun and learn how to drive a lot better, even if u still finish .5 seconds behind the civics... plus ur just starting out so its not like ur gonna get close to the top times of the day anyways.

Fr33way
04-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Smaller wheelbase cars tend to do much better, at least in the Atlanta Region SCCA.

Congogrey
04-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Keep the 240 and spend the money on an Evolution course or Novice class. Unless you are looking to be a national winner almost any car can be competitive at a local or regional level.

Get driving time then if are getting to a point where there is nothing left in the 240 then consider an upgrade.

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I appreciate the help guys but Ive made up my mind. I am going to sell my 240 and buy a Cressida. The reason is I want to focus on school other than constantly thinking about an SR20, suspension,and so on.

speedminded
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I appreciate the help guys but Ive made up my mind. I am going to sell my 240 and buy a Cressida. The reason is I want to focus on school other than constantly thinking about an SR20, suspension,and so on....so now it's gonna be a 2JZGTE, suspension, and so on? :D

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
...so now it's gonna be a 2JZGTE, suspension, and so on? :D

LOL I wish. I plan on using it as a Daily. may put money into the pickup instead.

SE-Rious1
04-04-2007, 07:05 PM
my B13

SE-Rious1
04-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I appreciate the help guys but Ive made up my mind. I am going to sell my 240 and buy a Cressida. The reason is I want to focus on school other than constantly thinking about an SR20, suspension,and so on.
well i sold my cressida but my budy has a 91 0r 92 grey one forsale needs engine redone for $500

AZN_Pride
04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
well i sold my cressida but my budy has a 91 0r 92 grey one forsale needs engine redone for $500

Nah. I have a friend who has a 90 for sale that is really good condition.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/Ttrigun/cress3.jpg

The Green Monster
04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Buy my se-r lol....sr20 you'll be straight :goodjob: