PDA

View Full Version : Random CL55 AMG drifting at Nurburgring

SampaGuy
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Lap around Nurburgring Nordschleife:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3PujMC0WEY

Interview with the driver (interesting part from 1:00 to 1:30):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI0ebmlS8aY

My german is a little rough but he is saying the car has a system that sprays water on the tires when he is going through a turn. It makes the tires more slippery so he can hold a drift longer and also to cool the tire down. In the trunk there is a water tank, a pressurized tank and a water pump. German engineering FTW

Mr_Mischif
04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
That's some crazy shit right there. Germans are pretty kick-ass when it comes to stuff like this.

SampaGuy
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
yeah i wonder if it would be legal for like formula D

speedminded
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah i wonder if it would be legal for like formula Dput chlorox in it for more smoke ;)

CRAZY_JAY
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I only watched the first 5 minutes and was not impressed with the "drifting" which would have been better described as a bunch of powerslides by a German with a heavy foot and windshield sprayers on his tires.

speedminded
04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
That was one hell of a drift right after klostertel [6:09] then again at Brunnchen [7:45] and Eiskurve [7:57] :goodjob:

CRAZY_JAY
04-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I went back and watched the rest since you referenced turns I did not watch, and it does get better. I still don't like that the only technique to initiate a drift in this entire video is to power-over in the turn.

The Yousef
04-05-2007, 07:33 AM
i love that car....i had the pleasure of driving one a couple times and it's magnificent....

speedminded
04-05-2007, 08:06 AM
I went back and watched the rest since you referenced turns I did not watch, and it does get better. I still don't like that the only technique to initiate a drift in this entire video is to power-over in the turn.If you watch the G-force meter you can see he initiates it using the brakes then powers into it, obviously he can't shift lock or clutch kick it and the car is balanced and has enough power to not need to faint or manji...not much else can be done :dunno:

CRAZY_JAY
04-05-2007, 09:04 AM
If you watch the G-force meter you can see he initiates it using the brakes then powers into it
No, he is just braking before the turn. For the first half of the video all his drifts start when he is already maneuvering through the turn. With regards to him needing to shave off some speed before he enters the turn, I would liked to have seen some earlier initiations via the emergency brake (since it is an automatic he is limited as to the ways he can initiate before the turn). That would allow him to lose the necessary speed and it also is better for "show".

the car is balanced and has enough power to not need to faint or manji...not much else can be done :dunno:
Faint may help lower hp cars but it also would have allowed him to initiate earlier
Manji has nothing to do with power or balance. The track is not very wide so I was not anticipating that but saying he has enough power to not manji makes no sense. Manji is just a filler for the straightaway to continue the drift and link turns.