PDA

View Full Version : question on out of state car purchase

integraboi88
04-03-2007, 08:55 AM
i saw a good deal on the car that i really like but the bad thing is that its located in florida.

question: is it any more complicated than purchasing a car in georgia.

any info would be greatly appreciated!

speedminded
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
i saw a good deal on the car that i really like but the bad thing is that its located in florida.

question: is it any more complicated than purchasing a car in georgia.

any info would be greatly appreciated!Private sale? It's up to the current owner on what he feels is safe. You can have the current owner sign the title and you drive the car home and transfer title & register it here or at their request you may need go to the Florida DMV and transfer the title while down there. That puts all liability and anything that happens to the car your responsibility. (My brother sold a car, the new owner never transfered or registered the car, and then he was involved in a hit and run...they found the car, ran the VIN and it came back in my brothers name so guess where the cops showed up? Had a signed bill of sale so it wasn't an issue but that's why some sellers request the transfer be done at time of purschase)

NOTE: If it's a private sale and you transfer the title while in Florida they WILL try to get you to pay taxes on it but you're not a Florida resident so you don't have to. You'll have to drill it in there head a few times that you're a Georgia resident and there is no tax on private sale purchases therefore you don't have to pay it.

integraboi88
04-06-2007, 07:56 PM
thanks speedminded

but its gonna be from a dealer so is there any difference between the two

speedminded
04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
thanks speedminded

but its gonna be from a dealer so is there any difference between the twoah, then you'll have to pay the tax on it...no differant than a georgia dealer. They may help you transfer the title, depends on the dealer.